julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  4:07:23 PM  Show Profile
okay..sometimes it's a nuisance having to rip my shoe from my mouth. But other times so much goodness come of it!

So I hitched on over to the bible study section, which is a strange place for a non-Christian like me to go. I can't help it! I LOVE it. I blabbered on and on and mildly upset someone far more versed than I. After some exchanges, some clearing of the air, some wonderful emails and so forth everything is more than sorted.

I'm telling you, FARM GIRLS are the BESTEST!!!

I can't promise I won't ruffle any more feathers over there but I sure like being there. And like I told my new friend PeggyAnn, she is definitely God's daughter and I'm more like God's broken toy! Definitely moments when I feel the shaking and the solemn voice saying, "Julia..Julia...Julia...what am I gonna do with you?" Seriously, thanks ladies...you make my heart sing!!

being simple to simply be
Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
www.about-aria.blogspot.com

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  6:05:56 PM  Show Profile
Julia - you rock.

XOXO, Libbie

"Farmgirl Sister #10," and proud of it!!!
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  6:44:05 PM  Show Profile
Julia,
I enjoyed the discussions. I am so terribly sorry if Anything I said caused more of a problem.

Christians are only human and sadly we make mistakes and say things that do not always reflect our Lord and who is is!! Shame on us for that!! Because of that we are All ' broken toys' as you put it! I am grateful He is so patient with all of us!! He loves and hears us all!

Again, my apologies!

Blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart

Edited by - prayin granny on Jan 09 2012 6:47:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  8:05:17 PM  Show Profile
I am SO glad we are all different. What a boring place this would be if we weren't. We can learn so much from each other this way. There are so many times I wish I hadn't said a thing. And sometimes I go back and hit that nice delete button. I'm glad it's there! But I do enjoy your input and it really makes me think about things. I am going to ask the ladies at my "real" Bible study some of your questions tomorrow. And I have a small knitting group tomorrow night here. We shall discuss this too. So there, you have begun something here that will hopefully help me. And I am sure I will get something different form each person. Just more to think about.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  10:02:32 PM  Show Profile
Kris, that was well said. Many times I've gone to that area, and type stuff that I know is not suitable. I end up deleting. Julia, you must have handled it wonderful in the end.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

classygram
True Blue Farmgirl

1812 Posts

Brenda
Pleasant Hill Mo.
USA
1812 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  08:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Julia, I'm so sorry that this has happened in a forum that we all should be comfortable in. But I have enjoyed all the post and feel that you have done nothing wrong. When I noticed it was getting a little heated up, it brought fear into my heart. As far as I feel, us claiming to be Christians, need to work toward welcoming everyone. If I were to mistreat someone that has not yet found Lord, and they were pushed away, I would be forever on my knees asking for forgiveness. As Linda mentioned up above, WE ARE ALL broken toys!!!! We make mistakes and then need forgiveness to make things right. I feel you are a brave young lady, I myself feel that I don't know how to express myself, so I usually just stay quiet. I believe in the trinity and have been a church member for many years but I don't know the bible as well as most in the studies and I feel that I'm not up to par to make comments. All I can share is what believing has done for me personally. Sweetheart, I'm praying that you will continue in the study and bring your questions, thats how we learn. All of us along with you. Hugs,Brenda

http:///www.scatteredlittleblessings.blogspot.com

Seek reasons to Love..In every sigment of everyday-look for something that brings forth within you a feeling of Love-Abraham Hicks
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  09:54:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh dear Friends!!!

I don't know how many of you are familiar with the great sage Rumi but he's written some of the most amazing things. One of the things I read yesterday was SO perfect! I'm paraphrasing (and probably butchering) but he said something like, "Opposition is nothing more than one wiping the dust from the mirror of myself."

What I LOVE LOVE LOVE about that is the validation it gave me. I've written about something similar..something I've called "keeping my mirror clean so others can see themselves clearly." It is my firm belief that we are simply reflecting one another. What you see in me that is good and beautiful are all the things that are in you too! What you see in me that is ugly and threatening are also those things in you. That one's the hard part because IF we dare to look closely enough, we needn't be crushed by that truth. We need only to be humble but humility takes courage. Oh I know, we talk about humility but we rarely ever pull it off. Trust me, it's my greatest challenge!

Everything that happened over there on that bible study thread was PERFECT! Everything everyone said was GORGEOUS! You see, we really can help one another see how dusty our mirrors have become..we can point out to one another where we fall short of the glory. We ought to be truthful. Isn't that what we teach our children? It isn't always easy..Growth never is...sometimes it hurts but when humility is exercised..when openness happens, the magic that ensues is phenomenal.

~Libbie! I have MISSED you girlfriend. Oh me Oh My!! I rock? Yeah, you rock. LET'S rock!

~Linda! Don't you dare think for a moment that anything you said caused anything but beauty! Nope. All good stuff! I don't think it is a matter of saying things that poorly reflect God or Jesus as your belief aligns. I think it is what we do after we say things that may create reason for repair. Sharing truth is absolutely essential..how we face the fall out of that is everything. Not only that but how we deliver truth is something worth our time and energy. This is one of the greatest teachings that Buddhism can offer anyone. It is the miracle of mindfulness. The question is, do we serve truth on the edge of a knife or on a finely hand-stitched linen? Hey, we're farmgirls afterall!! It is important to speak one's mind always. We just need to remember to speak from a place of kindness and to own those moments when we don't.

~Kris! I wish wish wish you never had to experience a single moment of doubt for what you say and write. Putting whatever you have to say "out there" comes with risks. But if you dare to grow in knowledge, love and wisdom it is SO worth it! Let me know what your friends say about my questions. Forgive me if they were presented in a way that was too sharp. I really mean to be soft, but I don't always pull it off...You are a gem!!!

~Marly!! oh oh oh I've missed you!!! Seeing your name just makes me want to jump on a trampoline!! I don't do that anymore because now that I'm in my mid-forties...well, um...bouncing like that just isn't pretty! But I WANT to!! You make me giddy! The resolution that happened was because the collection of farmgirls on this site is extraordinary. The caliber of Spirit is magnificent. My ego would LOVE to take all the credit but alas, I'm only one small piece in this bigger delicious pie!

~Brenda! You're not the first one to mention that things were 'heating' up. I missed something. I didn't sense the heat at all. I observed that someone honestly pointed out that my big fat self pulled everyone off topic. She furthermore simply expressed concern over what she thought might be me pushing an agenda that she neither liked nor could see any value in pursuing. Absolutely no harm in that! Sincerely, she helped me clean my mirror! How can I be anything but thankful?! Really! I found it an excellent exchange! Not knowing how to express yourself....let me think deeply on that one. A lot of people say that. We have these nasty little voices in our heads that hiss, "Don't say that...that's stupid...you don't want to hurt anyone's feelings..." etc...etc.. so we're rendered silent. I hate those voices. I have no use for them and I would highly recommend that you get a strong fly swatter and smashed the living day-lights out of them! Everything you want to say, you ought to. It is worth saying and worth listening to...

One of the hardest things about collective discussion is welcoming opposing points of view. It's so easy to have everyone on the same page. It's comfortable, pleasant but after awhile it can get so BLAND! Religious matters are very difficult because faith requires that we don't really question. We simply believe. Collectively we reinforce those beliefs when everyone is in agreement and we can go along on our merry way. Throw a small stone in that still pond and it disrupts everything, which for those who prefer things settled and tidy will be extremely threatened and resent. People forget that without disruption, still ponds will stagnate and eventually die. No one wants that!

So, the ripples have ceased and all is well... even richer with life, I daresay! My friends..have no fear! it's all good..it always is! ~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

prayin granny
True Blue Farmgirl

1874 Posts

Linda
Kansas
1874 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  10:26:49 AM  Show Profile
Bless your heart Julia!! You see things in a more positive light than most and I commend you for that! We all could learn kinder ways to treat one another from you!

I enjoyed the discussions and learning together as well! I believe there is a scripture that says
'come, let us reason together'

I hope you all are having a great day!

Farmgirl hugs and blessings,
Linda

Country at Heart
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Linda! *sniff* *sniff* you brought a tear to my eye. THANK YOU!! I don't know that you can learn much of anything from me but if what I share from what I've learned from the sages of old helps you see yourself with greater clarity, well then I'm beyond delighted!

"Come let us reason together" Okay, *sniff* *sniff* what an absolutely LOVELY thing to say and preserve. I'm humbled deeply to have that in my head now. Thank you for sharing it.

There's a great teaching that goes like this:
The disciple asked the Master, "How can I love more?"
The Master replied, "By letting go of your fear."
The disciple asked, "What is it I fear?"
to which the Master smiled and said tenderly, "Love."

Linda, to your loving heart, I bow deeply and send my blessings! ~julia

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:07:47 PM  Show Profile
i went over there & read thur what was being discussed & I saw no reason for you to feel you stuck your foot in your mouth... As a Pagan who believes all religion have the right to be & was impressed with what you asked in that segment......To some only one bible exist & all others are wrong if they do not deal with what the christian bible way states so I think you were right to ask.....because I now know that I would not be welcomed there as a believer of more than one religion & belief system......But I do not mind that at all as by your words I now know that someone like me who cause more harm than good so its best for me to stay away from it......As my questions would cause harm to these hens & that I would never want to do.

I am happy they have found a connect thur the bible to share with each other thur this site....That is one blessing about MJ's site is we can be different in all walks of life, age, race & experience & have a place where we feel safe to share & to just love others who accept us.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:22:03 PM  Show Profile
Ok as one of the Christians who went off course with you on my analogy of the elephant I can't resist the urge to add my 2 cents worth here! I laughed when I read you referring to yourself as God's broken toy! I feel secure in what I believe and because of that enjoy discussions with others of different faiths or no faith in some cases.You had a comment to Linda in this thread that gave me pause. You talked of serving truth on the edge of a knife or a finely hand stitched linen. The bible (here I go again lol) refers to Gods word as being sharper than any two edged sword so I found that analogy interesting. I think at times I have used the linen and others the edge of the knife was required. Each circumstance different.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  3:17:21 PM  Show Profile
Michele, my heart just breaks for you. I am so sorry that I did anything to make you feel that you are not welcome in any Bible study here or any place else. That makes me so sad to read your words. Jesus loves EVERYONE, no matter what they believe. He came so that ALL would be saved and have have life amd believe in Him. John 3:16 is probably the most recited verse in the whole Bible. And it means so much. I'm so sorry you feel this way. And I'm sorry for what I said to make you feel this way. I don't want to be a hindrance to ANYONE EVER in what I say or do. That's why it's so important to weigh our words to see if there is anything in them that would hurt another. To hinder them or keep them from knowing God. I think that is my biggest fear, to know that I have caused someone to not believe in the Lord.

And yes, to Christians there is only one Bible. There are so many different versions though. So who are we to say that WE are the ONLY ones who are right?

You are so welcome there in that Bible study. I hope no one would say you are not. If so, then I would want nothing to do with it myself. I don't think I am any better than anyone else. Please forgive me if I have been the one to cause you to feel this way. And Julia as well. I think it is wonderful people like you both that makes others dig deeper to find the truth. It is for me. And I thank you for that.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  3:36:13 PM  Show Profile
~Michele! One of the things I LOVED that was shared over there is the assumption that a Bible study ought to consist of only those who view the Bible in the same way. Some are welcome to disagree with me, but I would find that boring after awhile. Everyone can gather, affirm one another's beliefs, pat themselves on the back for having the understanding that they do and go on with their lives. But people rarely in those circumstances dare voice doubts that creep in, wonderment or true disillusionment. People rarely discuss matters of the Bible that make one squirm with discomfort and total disagreement. Instead, those feelings are snuffed out with the single repetitive cry of "Just Have Faith." Those who are experiencing real existential crisis, real growth, real reflection know how superficial that not only sounds, but is. This is why people so quickly realized the folly in the assumption. If one wants to study the Bible not just for the sake of feeding one's faith in Christianity, but to understand the sacredness of this text, to gain some insight into first century life, and to know how it is that we have evolved away from biblical principles and beliefs despite our vehement conviction in its infallibility, then we must keep the door of study kept wide open. We must be like Jesus who against all etiquette of his day dined with a tax collector--the lowest most vile of all men. We have much to learn from that one action.

I'm discouraged that after reading what you did over there you are left with the impression that you would be unwelcome. I think just the opposite happened, which is why I'm so encouraged...why I never cease to be amazed at the goodness and decency of people. That being said and as I was justly reminded, this is a BIBLE study and therefore one must tread delicately, creatively and tenderly especially when presenting oppositional points of view. This is a sacred text that many hold as dear to their hearts as they would their own children so it is wise to be considerate of that. I fear I faltered in that regard and will probably again but that's the wonderful thing..spiritual growth from learning what rankles oneself and others. I don't know that your questions would cause that much harm. These are mighty tough smart women. I do think how you serve the question is everything though..

Which brings me to you dear Lea. It is my humble opinion that your literal interpretation of God's word being sharper than any two edged sword misses the poetic interpretation altogether. What this idea is driving at is the transcendence of duality. Taking one to the place where there is no good or bad, right or wrong, black or white, heaven or hell, light or dark and so on and so forth. There is only God. God's word is sharper..in other words God's word is greater..than any two edge sword...than anything dualistic. God is beyond right and wrong, just and unjust, truth and lies. Jesus said, God is in all things and men do not see it. To my mind there is never a reason to serve truth upon a knife's edge unless you yourself don't mind being cut.

My dear friends...you open me and reveal me and for that my heart sings! May you see your Divinity..it is your purpose! ~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  4:15:59 PM  Show Profile
I agree with you Julia - there is only God and everything and everyone is an embodiment of God. What we need to consider is that God may speak differently to different people to suit their circumstances. Since all people are unique, I don't believe that God has a "one size fits all" approach to humans. Any two people who read the same passage may take away perfectly different and perfectly valid messages since the Divine manifests in many ways. To have genuine learning & honest discourse, we need to be gentle and kind with one another no matter our how different our "received messages" may be and the path to the Divine we are on. It is only with kindness and gentleness that we can become the God energy in action.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  4:24:03 PM  Show Profile
I just wanted to pop in and say that your contributions to the Bible study are interesting. It's easy to repeat the sayings and reasonings we know very well, but when someone asks a deeper question, we may find we're at a loss and feel insecure all of a sudden. I knew of a scripture I could give in answer to your question of God being limited to one man's viewpoint.

2 Timothy 3:16-17. My Bible reads: All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.

So even though the Bible was written by many men over a period of 1600 years, it is all the inspired word of God, not their own personal opinion. One easy way to see that is throughout the Bible there is one theme, not individual agendas.

2 Peter 1:21 reads: Men spoke from God as they were borne along by holy spirit.

I think of it in the way a letter might be dictated by a secretary. Even though the secretary physically wrote the letter it is still the person's letter who dictated it. In some ways it could feel limited but it is God's message as He wanted us to know it. Otherwise he would have given the writers more to write. As humans, we have a hard time wrapping our minds around certain ideas and I think God knew exactly how much information to give us.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the Bible study.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  12:24:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristin honey do NOT feel bad at all......i am not sad or upset or even concerned...i just never want to do harm to anyone & I think I would be asking questions that would cause some harm to some since I am not a bible true believer......before someone gets upset with me I DO believe in a God because I can not wrap my brain around the idea of the earth, people, stars & moons just got here without something helping them....No one here should EVER feel bad about what they believe so never apolgize to me for it...I never thought anything bad in any way just realized I would fit somewhere better with my religion/spiritual beliefs...I just wanted by my answer above to encourage Julie & tell her I understood her questions in the Bible study area/segment......

So quit your fretting I am fine but thank you for all your kind & loving words...Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  7:25:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh man... I get all busy, don't come to the forums for a couple days and I miss ALL of this. Pagan/Christian relations is my field of expertise!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  10:29:57 AM  Show Profile
OK girls. I'm confused. ( not unusual) I looked through the two Bible study sections and could not find any thing that seemed to relate to this post. What am I missing?
Anyway,it did inspire me to read them and otherwise I might not have bothered.
I'm giving serious thought to joining the study.
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  7:47:33 PM  Show Profile
You know what friends...is it just me or is this sort of a miracle?! I mean seriously. I'm loving what happened here. PeggyAnn had no idea the kind of stir she created by calling me out and I am deeply indebted to her. You know I've always believed that most of the time, when we are shaken, we grow a little. We're like flowers afterall..the seeds don't hit the wind without the plant getting blown around a little.

Wandrinbear..what an awesome name by the way! you didn't miss anything. I upset a leader in the field of Bible study and she questioned my agenda and pointed out to me that I was getting everyone off topic. She was perfect. It was great..NOW, with all this attention, you are considering joining..PLEASE do..this stuff is such fun. Seriously, there is nothing I love more than to speak of Spirit, consciousness and the great unknown. Hands down my favorite thing! would love to have your input and insight too!

Dusky Beauty..another totally awesome name..Crack me up! your post was hilarious..I can just see you with your hands on your hips scolding to the wind, "Holy High Heaven, I turn my back for two seconds and the fox is in the hen house!" Fills me with absolute glee!

To be clear, the older I get, the less I do labels with the strong exception of gender. I am most definitely female! Other than that, the jury is still out. The word Pagan hangs me up because unfortunately so many negative stereotypes inherited over time still cling to it. That being said, I am most definitely pagan. But I would ask that when you use that word assigned to me a perfect synonym would be MUTT! I am also buddhist, hindi, catholic, jewish..not yet muslim..I'm just beginning my studies there...so on and so forth! M.U.T.T

But more than anything, I am divinely feminine completely dedicated to pursuing that empowerment. I am bound to no religion except if you call kindness and love a religion. In that case that is where I hold a lifetime subscription.

May blessings shower you with the divinity of yourselves~julia hayes

Farmgirl #30
www.julia42.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

fille de ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

2344 Posts

Madeline
Meadow Lands Pa.
USA
2344 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  04:18:55 AM  Show Profile
Hi Julia :) All I can say is AMEN :)

Blessings
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  10:12:08 AM  Show Profile
Julia you made me smile with the "Mutt" comment.....what a cute way to say what you are & learning...yes for years I got the look when someone herd I was Pagan...thinking devil horns ect when its completely opposite....Its a hard title to explain since it can mean so many things to different people...some thing we are tree huggers/vegens/hippies & so on & I guess you could be all of those or none of those labels...I am not a vegen but a tree/nature hugger, hippy in spirit (love one another) & a studier of ideas/religions/concepts....I am not stuck on any one idea or thought but open to others beliefs/traditions...I believe in magic/ghosts & other beings beyond my scope such as angels/spirits.....I also believe that wise men & wise women have been with us since the dawn of time & should be heard ........We all have ideas of what life & after life is about & that I think is amazing that we can all see something just a bit different but none of us will ever know the complete truth until our time is done...that to me is what makes life so much fun...trying to find our own path that fits us & makes us who we are....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
http://theoldbatzfarm.blogspot.com

Edited by - batznthebelfry on Jan 13 2012 1:18:41 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic me and my big fat mouth! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page