Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  3:01:09 PM  Show Profile
Whenever I'm at the thrift or Garage sales etc, I look for old books. Found a 1952 copy of East Of Eden by John Steinbeck. I have a 1939 copy of Grapes Of Wrath by him also. Its always an extra treat if you find something that someone has left in the book. I have found a few letters, and a few old bookmarks,and notes. Anyway, posted a picture.
I was busy putting my paper dolls in some kind of order after We took the three Grand daughters home. I even cut out some new ones that I found on line. Have to post a picture of all the paper dolls sometime.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  4:12:40 PM  Show Profile
I love old books too - and always look through the books (new and old) at the thrift stores. I found a "Birthday Book" that had beautiful writing in - it was the kind of book where you wrote the names and dates of birthdays. I gave it to a friend for her birthday present. She loved it. I also bought a beautiful, old book about butterflies at the thrift store a year or so ago for $1.00. I originally bought it because I thought some of the colored plates would be nice framed. But after I got it home and looked at it more thoroughly, I knew there was no way I'd be able to cut it up. Its beautiful.

I've been really fortunate finding new books at thrifts too. I found "Water for Elephants" for $0.50 and several other mysteries I enjoy reading. I was shocked to see the Water for Elephant book sells for $12.99 and the current price for smaller paperbacks is $7.99. Yikes. Finding a good deal on a book is a real treat for me.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  5:36:35 PM  Show Profile
Me, too. I love old books. I have some old books that are so old the pages are yellowed. I love the old books with hand written notes in them. Priceless.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Catherine L
True Blue Farmgirl

408 Posts

Cathy
Newton Texas
USA
408 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  5:54:57 PM  Show Profile
I especially like old children's school books. Cathy

~Cathy~
Farmgirl 2428 http://www.my-fairhaven.blogspot.com/
http://adaywithnonnaandboompa.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  7:23:36 PM  Show Profile
I love old books too! The more "antique-y" the better! My cousin's husband had a 1929 copy of Magic for Marigold by L M Montgomery & my cousin said I could have it. It used to be in a school library, since the label is still there Langvale school district #224. They also have an old copy of a Gaelic Bible (from the 1880s or 1890s, I think) that I would love to have (that is one language I would love to learn, but I've heard it's really hard, and there isn't anyone "local" who knows it either. It's more of an East Coast/Nova Scotia thing as well).

Before Christmas, I went to The Sawmill (a local tea & coffee house with handmade items & second-hand books) & they have a bunch of books for 50 cents each (at least the ones I picked up were 50 cents each). I gave some to 2 of my nieces & my nephew. I was on the look-out for Bobbsey Twins (anyone remember them??) for my nephew, who is into chapter books now, but didn't see any. I did pick up a couple of Hardy Boys mysteries for him. And I found Polly & the Whispering Voice by Rita Puttcamp (from 1952 by The Moody Bible Institute of Chicago). I also found Winnie-the-Pooh "A Tight Squeeze" (http://www.amazon.com/Disney-Presents-Winnie---Pooh--Squeeze/dp/B000HYY67C/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1326079067&sr=1-7) from 1964/1965, which I thought was really cool. (I kept Winnie the Pooh & Polly - I don't think my nephew would like a "girl's book" lol).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  06:49:48 AM  Show Profile
i love old books-have many children's books that were my mothers in the 1920's..an 18++ tom sawyer!can't remember the year but very very old--as her father's as a child
i love all books TOO much and am parting with many-not the OLD ones tho!!!!!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

amarquardt
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Amy
Lindenhurst Illinois
USA
61 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  09:14:38 AM  Show Profile
I am a book addict. The older the better. Especially old cookbooks and magazines. It's like going back in time.

Amy
http://www.farnorthfarmgirls.blogspot.com
http://www.marquardthealthcoaching.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:00:57 AM  Show Profile
Add me to the list of lover of old books. I found a copy, first addition to boot, of "Anna and the King of Siam". The illustrations of old books are so lovely and I scan them to add to old frames I find at thrift shops. I can't bear to tear apart an old book!

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  11:59:44 AM  Show Profile
Pam, I have AlWAYS wanted to learn Gaelic, but I too heard that it is hard to learn and nobody speaks it. As my BFF said "you live in Florida..how many Lepracons do you expect to find there?" Anyway, I'd love to just learn a phrase or two.
My daughter collects Bobsey Twins books and has since she was old enough for chapter books. We would read a few chapters every night. She has quite a collection now and reads them to her daughters. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  4:50:13 PM  Show Profile
Joey - apparently there is Irish Gaelic & Scottish Gaelic - I didn't know! I would still like to learn it regardless :p. And who says you have to speak Gaelic to a Leprechaun? lol I don't think there are any leprechauns anywhere, regardless of where you are haha.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  5:10:25 PM  Show Profile
This is so fun to read about everyone's treasures.

Nancy - that's a good idea to scan the pages to frame. I have a tough time tearing them apart too. And how nice for you finding that first edition. Wow!

Pam - your coffee/tea/book shop sounds WONDERFUL. The perfect combination. Lucky you...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  11:09:22 AM  Show Profile
Pam, when I lived in an old Victorian home in Maryland, I planned on putting in a tea room with my library turned into the "Coobook Nook". I had over 2000 cookbooks and had recipe cards printed up with the name of the proposed shop, "Miss Violet's Tea Room". Alas, hubby took a job in Indiana and we moved before I could finalize the deal. Good luck and I'd love pictures of the shop.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2012 :  1:45:14 PM  Show Profile
Wow Nancy what a cool idea. Could you still do it in your new location?
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2012 :  06:21:13 AM  Show Profile
I have no room and health laws are so strict now that I'd need a separate kitchen that was up to professional standards. Besides, I doubt if this small burg would support such a place but we've talked about it and even looked at some vacant stores downtown but money's just too tight to invest in such a venture. Now, if it was a pizza place or barbeque, that might fly but I'm in no frame of mind to work those hours and that hard ever again.

Go to Top of Page

LuckyMommyof5
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Suzanne
OH
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  07:34:27 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE and adore old books! The smell of them, the way they feel, the way they look - it's all heaven to me. My husband, daughters and I frequent a fabulous Half Price Books near us and we even now know most of the staff by name.

We love The Bobbsey Twins and actually found the 50s reprints books #1-#15 at our HPB for about $2 each a few years ago. We had the 60s reprints of Trixie Belden books #1-#7 and books #10-#18 from there and we just found books #8 and #9! So excited!

Older books have so much personality.

Farmgirl Sister #3243

"The real things haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures; and have courage when things go wrong." - Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

GirlwithHook
True Blue Farmgirl

922 Posts

Alyce
Madison WI
USA
922 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  09:09:24 AM  Show Profile
Wow, add me to the list! I usually have to be dragged out of used bookstores. I'm always trying to complete my Ellery Queen collection, and since many of his books are out of print I head straight for the "Mystery" section of the stores!

I've found some lovely older crochet patterns too, and last summer found an original edition of 'The Life and Times of D.L. Moody' (my great-great-great uncle).

There is nothing like an old book! The feel, the smell---mmm!

A hook, a book, and a good cup of coffee....
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  2:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I love used bookstores, but honestly some of my best finds have been on the curb. Would you believe I found a cardboard box containing an 18 volume leatherbound set of the works of Balzac? Haven't gotten around to reading any of them yet, but they are so pretty.

I'm not reading Balzac because midcentury romance and mystery/suspense novels are so much fun. Some of my favorite authors are Mary Stewart, Helen MacInnes, Anya Seton, Kathleen Norris, and Faith Baldwin.

Of course I'm still adding to my collection of children's books also. I saved almost every book I owned as a child, and I still get such a thrill when I find another book by one of my old favorite authors.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  07:18:22 AM  Show Profile
I'll have to look up Balzac, not sure what that is.

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:55:45 AM  Show Profile
Nancy, it's Honore de Balzac. He was a French novelist from the first half of the nineteenth century. I hear he's similar to Dickens and was very influential on other French writers. My editions are translated into English, of course.
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  3:31:42 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Amie. Sounds like you found yourself a really nice set of books.
Nancy Jo

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic I Love Old Books. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page