Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Seasonal Affective Disorder-Natural Remedy?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Seasonal Affective Disorder-Natural Remedy? Next Topic  

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  5:05:50 PM  Show Profile
The tree is down and all the decorations are boxed ready to be put back down in the basement to wait until next year.

Kind of blue today-Tears just at the edge. I get like this every winter and I know that I just need some sunlight and a count-down until spring!

Any one else suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)?

Sure would love some natural remedy ideas for this debilitating condition.

Talk to me ladies....

Melody
Farmgirl #525

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  5:50:54 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
If you are not taking Vitamin D, start now! Start with 5,000 i.u. of Vitamin D3. Also, try and spend 10 - 15 minutes outside whenever it is sunny. Growing up in PA, I suffered from SAD for most of my life. Since moving out West and supplementing with D3, my SAD has all but disappeared!

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  5:56:53 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading about the VItamin D. I have to head to the pharmacy tomorrow to pick up some epsom salts and I will definitely get me some.

I do have a room in this old boat of a house-actually the front room that has 3 very large long windows where I sit and embroider-I've been spending a lot of time there trying to soak up some of our feeble winter sun while it is out during the day, but I really think the Vit. D will help too!

Thank you...

Melody
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  6:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
You need to come and see me!!!! We could get you out into lots of southwest Colorado sun . . and chase the blues away and re-energize your spirits. Futhermore, we could laugh and act silly together!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  6:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Melody . . I wasn't trying to be a smarty-pants . . just trying to encourage you.
Cuz I care!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  6:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Full spectrum lights they can go in any lamp and help a ton. I have lamps on both sides of my chair I sit in the most and It really really works.
I also get outside as much as I can when it is sunny.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  7:25:49 PM  Show Profile
Oh,yeah! I live near Seattle so I know exactly what you are talking about.

Vitamin D, B-stress vitamins, Vitamin C, lots of full spectrum lights, and plenty of exercise...even on the not so sunny days....works best for me. I find that just getting outdoors on a dreary day for a walk and a dose of fresh air helps most of the time. Also, I've learned that it helps to stay active with projects that involve working with other people away from home to keep myself going. In my case I volunteer with my Rotary club's auction during Dec - March. This gives me tasks to do and keeps me socially active. If I wake up every morning with a plan of what I'm going to get done that day I'm more likely to succeed than if I tell myself I'll figure that out when I get up. Otherwise I tend to hibernate too much.

Another thing that often helps is to stay on fairly rigid sleep schedule. I try to get right around 8 hours of sleep every night and get up/go to bed at about the same time every day. I also have one of those natural light alarm clocks that really helps me wake up in the morning.

But to keep things in balance, I do have to be careful I don't over plan my schedule at this time of the year. Just have to accept the fact that I can't do as much in the winter as I can at other times of the year. Once I finally came to terms with this aspect of SAD I've been able to manage my doldrums pretty well without medication.

Some people use light therapy boxes. I tried it once but they gave me headaches so I quit. I know there are also some herbs that supposedly help with depression and SAD but I can't take any of them for allergy reasons so I'm not familiar with them. I believe Hypericum was one. I also believe a healthy diet has an impact on how I feel.

There is a book on this subject titled "Winter Blues - Seasonal Affective Disorder - What it is and how to overcome it" by Norman E. Rosenthal M.D. It's an older book from the early 1990's but has some good information.

Oh....and don't forget Chocolate!

Hope you feel better soon!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  04:48:30 AM  Show Profile
hey gals,
Where do you pick up full spectrum lights?
marianne
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  06:24:19 AM  Show Profile
The same day when the tree comes down, it's tradition to also put up the crystal Christmas ornament from the past year in the east facing window.

(Discovered the Swarovski name about 12 years ago but have been a crystal collector for years longer) It's a blast to find old chandalier parts in antique stores. No doubt the good ones are probably from this company. The shine will hurt your eyes it's so brilliant.

When the sun shines, the entire room is full of prisms. It only does this when the sun is low this time of year. Kind of fitting when there is very little sun, but very intense. It can't help but lift one's spirits.

You can find these prisms at antique stores from old chandeliere (sp) parts. So you can maybe start your own tradition by finding these crystals and waiting to put them up the same day your tree comes down- or on the very next day when there is sun.

I have 48 crystals so far, and around 10:00 is when the rainbows become the most intense. The last rainbows appear around 4 in the afternoon, so I take advantage of all sun angles.

And the rainbows start to disappear near the end of February which signals the approach of Spring and a higher set of the sun....always encouraging! Sadly, more rainbows in Septamber means dark days are coming, but pretty prisms, so there's a tradeoff.

Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1507 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1507 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  07:02:17 AM  Show Profile
Full spectrum lights can be specially designed task lighting such as Ott-Lites or you can also buy light bulbs and tubes for regular fixtures that emit full spectrum lighting. Other terms I've seen used instead of full spectrum are "Day" or "Natural" lighting. Just read the package to make sure they say full spectrum somewhere in the fine print. Any well stocked hardware store should carry them. I simply use full spectrum bulbs in all the fixtures in my house.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  07:45:06 AM  Show Profile
WOW! Just the thought of a row of sparkling crystals strung from window to window in my front room sounds so beautiful. Saturday is "chore" day here at the house and I am going to hit our local antique stores in search of some and also try our local hardware store for the Ott-lites.

Thank you ladies!

Mel
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  09:49:07 AM  Show Profile
Melody I have been feeling the same way all week, my boss even asked me what was wrong ! I feel better today with the beautiful sunshine we are having, but have just felt blue and out of sorts. will try some of the suggestions the ladies wrote and hope it helps you and me
Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  2:46:23 PM  Show Profile
Melody,
Here are a couple of web sites that have Full Spectrum lights. You can also purchase bulbs to use in several lamps around your home.

http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/bluemax_hd_sunrise_combo_67_ctg.htm

http://www.verilux.com/full-spectrum-lightbulbs/undefined/0/-1?gclid=CPK3p-z-vq0CFTPktgod_W4iBQ

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  6:34:15 PM  Show Profile
Yep, I do the vita-D,,, and if the sun does poke it's head out,,, I pull up a chair by the window & grab a magazine and try to enjoy the sunlight while I can... As a fromer SO.CAL GAL,,, Winter up here is really hard on me.... I am a sunshine kinda person.
I have a 18" ott-light type hanging lamp that I use when reading....
I know that CostCo had the Full spectrum lights last year....I was just being to cheap to buy one...duh!
One thing I have just started doing is turning my radio on with fun happy~move yer butt kind of music,,, from Jazz to Swing Dance.... as silly as it sounds it makes me move around and I seem to be a little more cheery....
Worth a try and the energy isn't bad either!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  04:23:04 AM  Show Profile
Hey Grace,
Your local Costco expert (me) would like you to know that Costco still had the full spectrum set up near the pharmacy. It seems like an ordeal that you have to sit in front of, rather than the light=bulb changes everyone has been talking about. I think I'll try to pick up a few light bulbs.

As you know, we have those floor-to-ceiling windows, but that doesn't do much after 4:30-5 o'clock these days!! Plus they are north facing and the sun doesn't shine "in" the windows. Wish I had some big southwest facing windows...

Marianne
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  05:35:36 AM  Show Profile
Although I can't say that we all have it, I do see a difference in our house in winter. When the sun is out, and the kids are out in it, they are much happier.

I put my clothes on my outside like year round. When the sun is shining bright, I tend to take my good ol' time coming back inside. I also put a chair out there (or take one out), and sit for 20 minutes. It really does help. Our house lighting is terrible, and winter times can cause the depressed feelings here.

I do take vit.D3 also.

I good laugh helps too. I know its hard to do that, but maybe watching some old movies or comedy could help. We get a huuuuge laugh watching our family videos here.

Let us know how things go.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  08:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Anna, your crystals sound beautiful! You should post a picture. Very curious as to what it looks like with all those crystals!

I live in Wisconsin so we have long, cold winters. I guess when winter rolls around I don't get so much depressed as I do less motivated. My brother and I were talking about SAD just the other day. We were wondering if it's just the sun we miss, or if it's the fresh air? When it's cold outside we obviously spend more time inside. I'm sure it's a combination of both sun and air. I know it's not always feasable in the winter, but maybe just getting a brisk walk in every day and getting some fresh air going through your lungs might help with the depression a bit along with the vitamin D?
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:12:08 PM  Show Profile
I've had SAD my whole life. I remember it even as a young child. I feel SO much better living in Florida. I know that doesn't help you, but I'd love to have you visit. I can't offer more that anyone else above except that St. Johns Wort is also used for depression, so that might help. Up North, I used a light-a big ol thing in the beginning of SAD recognition by the medical community-and it REALLY helped me. SAD happens because the lack of sunlight in the winter decreases the serotonin levels in your brain, therefore the "sunlight" lamps and bulbs help.
I have never even thought about the prisms. It sounds SO lovely. Thank you for sharing that and I would also like to see a picture. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  12:57:23 PM  Show Profile
It's so debilitating--the house looks like hell and I barely budge from the couch on most days-No appetite, no energy, no motivation and if I try to do something I rarely complete the task. It's boring and it's annoying to my family-I just hate this.

My front room is very bright when the sun is out so I spend most of my day in there. I plan on starting the Vitamin D today if I can drag myself to Walgreen's and have been checking out Etsy for prisms.

Thank you so much CJ and Joey for the invitation to visit-That made me cry!

And, thank you ladies for all the posts-I sure LOVE my farmgirl sisters...

Mel
Go to Top of Page

vintagediva1
True Blue Farmgirl

1251 Posts

Michele
Brighton Michigan
USA
1251 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  08:39:58 AM  Show Profile
Melody,
I share your pain, seroiusly!! The vitamin d3 and my ottlite have really helped me. My doc said anyone who lives north of Kentucky should be taking d3 year round. it has helped me immeasurably. although, I still hate the grey days
Michele

www.2vintagedivas.etsy.com
www.sissyandsisterstitch.etsy.com
www.dreamingofspringtime.etsy.com
Love that good ole vintage junk
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48

13645 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13645 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  09:04:26 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Melody,
"Calicogirl", who also lives here and I have decided that you REALLY need to come visit us! We, and our Colorado sunshine, could fix you right up! Wish it were possible.
Hang in there my sweet friend!
Like Red Green says: "keep your stick on the ice" AND "we're pullin' for ya'" (I love Red Green!!)
HUGS!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3324 Posts

Melody
USA
3324 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile
oH I love that CJ! "Keep your stick on the ice" Love you lots and lots!

And many, many, many thanks for the invitation to come and visit---One of these days you are going to find me suitcase in hand standing on your front porch!!!

Take care...

P.S. The sun is shining in the front room and I am going through my quilting stash which makes me SMILE!

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile
I'll certainly try for a photo!

Haven't had much success with photo bucket though :(

10:00 to 12:00 it's the most intense. The entire room is COVERED in prisms all over the place!

Go to Top of Page

oregonatural
True Blue Farmgirl

152 Posts

Susan
Sprague River OR
USA
152 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2012 :  7:07:25 PM  Show Profile
I was working at a hospital when the Sleep Study center there sent out a request for any volunteers who suffered from SAD. THREE people in my department volunteered me! Until that moment, I just thought everybody got sluggish and blue in the winter! Boy, what an eye opener this study was!

They gave me a "dawn simulator" to use for 6 weeks. The idea here is that you set it for your regular wake up time, say 6AM. And then it turns on about 5am and slowly slowly brings your room to fully BRIGHT so that by 6am, you are AWAKE, believe me. No noise necessary and it did wonders for my SAD symptoms! The idea is that even though your eyes are closed, you still process light through your eyelids and that affects the melatonin production naturally in your brain. It was simple.

The Dr. who ran the study also told me that full spectrum light was not the key, but the number of LUX in the light (I guess that's a measure of the brightness) and the timing is critical. You have to have at least 20 minutes of at least 250 watts, within 30 minutes of waking. All that affects our natural sleep/wake cycles called our circadian rhythm. Apparently it has a LOT to do with our moods, and a desire to carbo-load. When I got all the stuff worked out I even lost weight! What a terrific side-effect!

Anyway, good luck finding what will work for you. Everyone is different, but all these posts are GREAT tips. I agree that keeping on a pretty regular sleep schedule is really important, also Vitamin D and plenty of exercise and fresh air daily helps. If you work in an office, try to get out from under those awful fluorescent lights too.
Love on!
Susan

My random wacky off-grid blog: http://oregonnatural.blogspot.com/
Blessings on you from the bottom of my mountain girl heart!
Go to Top of Page

Joey
True Blue Farmgirl

1868 Posts

Joey
Gulf Coast FL
USA
1868 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  09:36:49 AM  Show Profile
Melody, I hope you've gotten on some vitamins and are starting to feel a little better. I was serious about the invite to visit me in Florida too.
Anna, on the way back from Phila, PA we stopped in Savannah, GA and I bought a prism based on your post. I hung it in the window and all these little rainbows happened. It is lovely. Thank you so much for the idea. I now think of you almost every day. Joey

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Go to Top of Page

JessieMae
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Jessie
Raleigh North Carolina
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2012 :  12:14:17 PM  Show Profile
I have a light box, and I think it really does help. I've got it set up on my desk, so as soon as I wake up I sit down, switch it on, and check my e-mail and check the news of the day for half an hour.

Jessie Mae
Farmgirl Sisterhood #134
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Seasonal Affective Disorder-Natural Remedy? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page