Page: of 2

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:39:54 PM  Show Profile
I was raking leaves, and mowing in a few spots. I had to stop. The mosquiotes are bad. The temperature is in the high 50's, but those little biting insects don't mind the cool weather.
Any one else with mosquitoes
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:38:21 PM  Show Profile
I squished two of those little stinkers that were buzzing around in my house yesterday. Ughh!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

http://blueskyanddaisies.blogspot.com

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:43:55 PM  Show Profile
Man, we haven't had skeeters for a while! I think around the first of November they were pretty much all dormant... Sorry to hear you still have to deal with the stinkers!

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  5:00:05 PM  Show Profile
I had one in the house not too long ago

~jess
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  2:55:27 PM  Show Profile
If you are going to be outside wear light clothing. The mosquitoes don't like it. That will help a little bit.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2012 :  5:43:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Regina. I haven't felt the little critters as of late. The temperature got up to 80 degrees here today in SW Louisiana. I thought surely by late this evening they would be out, but nothing yet.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6594 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6594 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  04:11:41 AM  Show Profile
Supposed to be 78 today here in Gainesville, Florida! and yes, the mosquitoes are still here and thriving. We had 2 nights of freeze last week so that helped but the weekend has been warm and it will stay that way until later in the week. We NEED rain desperately!! UP here we are about 13" below average and the spring is usually a dry season. This all worries me because by April we will be having lots of wildfires if we don't start getting some regular rains to catch up. The thought of another long hot summer is depressing to think about.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2012 :  2:13:01 PM  Show Profile
Not a good place to be with the humidity either right?? Well hopefully you all will get the rain you need. Just remember to watch for standing water as mosquitoes love that. Spring is just around the corner!!!!
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jan 18 2012 :  3:57:11 PM  Show Profile
As a former resident of LA, I think "skeeter" are out 24/7---365!! Will you agree, Marly? I know I used to mow the grass all year!

Portia

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  2:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Mosquitoes will be around a lot earlier this year seeing we had a mild winter. Mosquito control will be extra long this year.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2012 :  4:01:19 PM  Show Profile
That is good to hear. We haven't seen the mosquito control around here for a very long time.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2012 :  1:38:16 PM  Show Profile
Glad to help. I was just reading on another forum about mosquito control. Boy was there a lot of different ways people were using to control mosquitoes
Go to Top of Page

Bella
True Blue Farmgirl

274 Posts

Karen

USA
274 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2012 :  10:47:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm seeing them here in North Carolina as well. I was in the pasture with my donkeys the other day and there was a big black one buzzing around. Glad my donks have had their West Nile vaccinations. This reminds me that Mommy donkey is due her shot the end of this month. That plus rabies and tetanus. I must schedule a vet visit. $$$!!!

"Just living is not enough, said the butterfly. One must have freedom, sunshine and a little flower." -Hans Christian Anderson
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2012 :  7:42:20 PM  Show Profile
This afternoon, there were a few mosquitoes out. Of course they all decided they would attack me. I had four bites. I came in and ate a banana, took the peel and rubbed the bites with the inside of the banana skin. When I was young, my Dad showed us how to do that. It worked like a charm. The swelling and itch went down almost immediately. Has anyone else ever tried this?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  6:45:46 PM  Show Profile
No but I will now!

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2012 :  9:14:54 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Amy Grace. Are you home working in your garden yet?
Marly

Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2012 :  07:43:45 AM  Show Profile
I had n idea about rubbing yourself with the inside of the banana peel. Thank you so much. I hope it works for me when the mosquitoes bite me.
Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - May 22 2012 :  1:59:49 PM  Show Profile
If you have a pond on your farm, you can get the mosquito fish for it. That will help with mosquito control.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - May 23 2012 :  07:50:50 AM  Show Profile
Regina, we've tried that, and it did work for a while. But... there are too many ditches, waterways, etc... around. The Police Jury in our Parish would spray for mosquitoes, but that wouldn't keep it down that much. I think they would have to spray weekly for control. I try to keep things around the house clear of water; like buckets, wheel barrows, etc...
Marly

Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2012 :  09:19:22 AM  Show Profile
Okay what about bats, they are a good predator for mosquito control? There is a bird that my friend says works good for it too but I can't remember the name of it.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 02 2012 :  6:31:05 PM  Show Profile
We were harvesting our small garden crops this evening around 7 PM, and the mosquitoes were horrible! I think our outside cats even are running from the mosquitoes. When the sun starts to go down, the cats are already in the workshop.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2012 :  1:38:21 PM  Show Profile
What will help you a little is not be out at dusk if possible, there are more mosquitoes then. Here's a sight that might help with mosquito control.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2012 :  8:39:18 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Regina. It's been raining here for the last four days. The mosquitoes are everywhere. Even during the light of the day, if a door is opened- those things want to come in the house.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

mosquitocontrol
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Regina
Fayetteville OH
USA
34 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  1:10:58 PM  Show Profile
Since it has been raining for four days, I bet you have some standing water. If you do when you get a chance get rid of it, it will help with the mosquito control.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2012 :  5:31:41 PM  Show Profile
Regina: we are surrounded by water. There is a lake behind the house, and the Vermilion River on the other side. We just have to learn to not be outside too late in the evening. This afternoon, I mowed the yard. Of course, it has been raining here for the past nine or ten days. It poured down this morning. I HAD to mow the yard, the grass was getting out of control. Any who... the mosquitoes were out in full force. Thanks for all of your advise.
Marly

Go to Top of Page

Dorinda
True Blue Farmgirl

1023 Posts

Dorinda
St. Cloud Florida
USA
1023 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2012 :  08:51:06 AM  Show Profile
I just went out to sit on my swing to do some embroidering and I thought they were going to tote me away. I like to sit out there and sew because it so much brighter than my house I can see better. But they were so bad eating me up. Frustrated!!!!!!

Seize The Day!
Dorinda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Weather Report: Previous Topic Mosquitoes are still out Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page