Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up
 Prayer Request for 12 year old niece
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Prayer Request for 12 year old niece Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  05:33:33 AM  Show Profile
Hi All - my 12 year old niece, Sarah, is undergoing open-heart surgery at Children's Hopital Boston. The surgery started at ~ 7 am Boston time this morning and is expected to take ~ 6 - 7 hrs. I would appreciate prayers for her safety, strength, and speedy recovery.

Sarah was born with a defective heart valve. She had valve replacement when she was 18 months old. It lasted this long, but needed to be replaced. Also, when they originally replaced the valve, they changed the direction of the blood flow (I think its called a bi-directional glen) because it would be easier on the valve. Now, while they are replacing the valve, they also plan to change the direction back to "normal" - the doctors think this is a good time to do this. Sarah will probably have to another surgery in her late teens/early twenties - but they are hopeful that it wouldn't be as extensive if they can take care of all of this now.

Needless to say, we are all anxiously awaiting the outcome. We're communicating via email and my sil is keeping us updated. Your prayers for this lovely girl would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  06:07:39 AM  Show Profile
I will be sending lots of prayers your niece's way and for your whole family.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  06:12:48 AM  Show Profile
Keeping little Sarah in my thoughts today, as well as you and your family. Please keep us posted on her recovery.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  06:46:56 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Lorraine,
Praying for your dear Niece Sarah, that she comes throught the surgery with flying colors and that her recovery is a quick one. I have been to the Childrens Hospital in Boston, and if there is such a thing it is a wonderful hospital!
Prayers said and sent for you and your family.
Blessings,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  07:02:14 AM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone - so far no news, but its still early. My sil sent me a link that I can login and the hospital posts updates.

Laurie - thanks for your reassurance about CHB. My sil and her husband were very impressed with CHB. The first surgery was done in Texas (they were living there at the time), and they were very pleased with the doctors and staff there. We live in the Chicago area and they have been taking her to a cardiologist at Children's Memorial Hospital and have been pleased with everything. But when they did the research, they found that CHB was the leader - especially doing both things at once, the valve replacement and changing the blood flow direction. They visited the hospital in Nov and talked with the doctors - they are as comfortable as they can be - but still scared.

I've told my sil that lots of people are praying for Sarah. Its helping with her peace of mind... Thanks again everyone. As soon as I hear anything, I'll update.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  07:16:09 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted Lorraine. Meggie and I are thinking of you and Sarah this morning as we drink some of your tea.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  08:10:19 AM  Show Profile
I will be praying Sarah and for you. Keep us posted.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  08:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Prayers for Sarah throughout the day...

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  09:58:37 AM  Show Profile
Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us updated. Also, can we send her cards? I just finished a prayer-comfort shawl done up in shades of blue and I would love to send it to her if you think that she will like it. You can see what the shawls look like on my blog. Let me know. I'm over here in RI so it would not take long to get to her.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Marcy on Jan 04 2012 10:02:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:37:14 PM  Show Profile
Keeping Sarah in my thoughts and prayers today. Please keep us posted:)

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:40:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi all,

FINALLY - ~ 30 mins ago we got news that the valve was replaced and the directional glen complete - they were just closing up the area and she would be heading to Cardiatric ICU. The surgery took a little longer than expected (not sure why) - but it was a success. Praise God.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU all so much. I just talked with my sil and we were crying with relief that this first part is over - now onto recovery. Farmgirl prayers are powerful. AMEN! You have all been such a blessing to me today. Wow...

Marcy - thank you for your kind offer of the comfort shawl. I looked on your blog and its lovely. I will ask my sil if she thinks it is something that Sarah would like. It looks so cozy and comforting. That is a wonderful thing you do.

Thanks again everyone - I will continue with updates as I receive them.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16401 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16401 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  1:54:53 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the update. Awesome news! Go Sarah!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of my DH's family this Christmas - including Sarah (blonde hair, black sweater, in front on right - making a face at her dad). Isn't she an angel? Next to her is her sister, Emily (in green and our goddaughter) with my mil between them and slightly behind. Next to Emily is my sil, Ruth (Sarah's mom), and next to Ruth is me (in red). Back row from left to right is niece, Tori, sil - Mary Ann, and another sil, Tammy. I am very fortunate to have such great in-laws.

Here's another photo at Thanksgiving at our house a couple years ago - Sarah is in the front center with the red sweater. Sarah's dad is next to my sil with the orange shirt. My DH is the tall guy next to me (I'm in black)and in the back is my bil. My dad is sitting in the front.

You are all so kind and caring - and I truly appreciate that it doesn't matter that you don't know who you're praying for, and you offer your love so freely - but I thought you might like to put a face with a name. Thanks again for praying for Sarah and my family.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:27:10 PM  Show Profile
I'm so glad Sarah came through the surgery just fine. You are all in my prayers too!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  2:34:33 PM  Show Profile
Children's Hospital in Boston.........excellent hospital.....praying for you and your niece and family.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

ptroupe
True Blue Farmgirl

1752 Posts

Portia
Johnson City NY
USA
1752 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:04:04 PM  Show Profile
My prayers go out to Sarah and all the family members.

Portia

May God's grace sustain everyone.

Wishing for the country life!
Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:28:25 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine,

I just saw this. I am thanking the Lord for Sarah's surgery going well. Sarah will be in my prayers for a safe and healthy recovery and for the strengthening of her body. Prayers for the family too for comfort, strength and the Lord's provisions.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:31:31 PM  Show Profile
Sarah is currently in Cardiatric ICU and doing well. Praise God. She will probably remain in ICU for a couple days - although, she's such a trooper, she might be moved to a regular room sooner.

Thanks again for all your compassion and prayers.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:20:42 PM  Show Profile
Prayers for the family, you and Sarah, of course. So glad she is through the surgery. Modern medicine is a wonderful thing..I know several young people with this surgery and they are doing well. Will pray that she continues with a quick recovery.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:53:41 PM  Show Profile
HI Lorraine-
Just got the chance to log back on and "check in". I am so happy to see that Sarah's surgery was a success and pray that she is resting comfortably now.
As for the Boston area- if anyone in the family needs a hotel recommendation, I would highly recommend the Holiday Inn Beacon Street. They have a free shuttle to and from the hospital and it is in a very nice area just around the corner from the hospital. They offer medical rates which make things more reasonable. When I was back and forth and staying in Boston with my dad's cancer treatments etc, the staff was always very accomodating too.
Pleae continue to keep us updated,and we will of course continue with our prayers and positive thoughts!
Smiles and Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

crafter
True Blue Farmgirl

2313 Posts

lori
Fort Atkinson Wisconsin
USA
2313 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  5:37:49 PM  Show Profile
keeping sweet Sarah in our prayers! so happy to hear that she is doing so well.

Lori
Go to Top of Page

Emily Anna
True Blue Farmgirl

863 Posts

Emily
Fort Atkinson WI
USA
863 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  8:04:31 PM  Show Profile
Lorraine,
So glad the surgery went well! Will be praying that she recovers quickly....she's young so i'm sure she'll be back to being a 12 year old soon! You have a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Emily
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  03:21:27 AM  Show Profile
What a beauty Sarah is and her sister, too. Her spirit shows through in the photo, thanks for sharing. I hope and pray she is resting easy today and continues to grow stronger.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  12:50:40 PM  Show Profile
Just a quick update - Sarah is doing very well. Still in ICU but that is to be expected - maybe for another day or two. More later - as soon as I hear more from my sil. Thanks again, everyone.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  4:01:03 PM  Show Profile
I have more info on Sarah - and its all good. She was able to sit in a chair for ~ an hour, eating a little, and walked a little this afternoon. The doctors decided to leave the tubes in - to drain away more fluid around her heart - but she will be able to go to a regular room later tonight! She is excited about that. Hopefully, the tubes will be removed tomorrow (she was a little disappointed about the tubes). My sil says she's very determined to get better and home ASAP.

Laurie - I'm not sure which hotel they're in, but I know its close to the hospital. I'm pretty sure they have a discounted rate in association with the hospital. But thank you for the info.

Thanks again everyone for your heartfelt love and prayers.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  4:03:48 PM  Show Profile
Marcy - I haven't had a chance to ask my sil about the comfort shawl. But I haven't forgotten about your kind offer and your lovely shawl. I will get back to you as soon as I can talk with her. Thank you so much for this kindness. I love it that you make them and know the right person will come along. That is such a nice thing to do.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Hogs & Quiches & Prayers Round-up: Previous Topic Prayer Request for 12 year old niece Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page