kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:05:28 AM  Show Profile
I like the frozen ground so much more than the muddy ground.

I like hauling warm water buckets to my sheep, goats, chickens, dogs and cats. It makes me feel pioneerish, if that's a word. It makes me feel like my ancestors before me who had to do this because they didn't have nice running water. They had to haul it from a creek a long way off most of the time. Or from a pump. Or a well. It's so easy to turn on a faucet in the kitchen. Well, really, it's easier from a hose right into a bucket or trough in the pasture. But it makes me appreciate the easy part of farming more.

I like the sound of the crackling wood in the fireplace. I started a fire yesterday and kept it going all night. It's just an open fireplace. And I know most of the heat is going right up the chimney. But God provided all this wood from the April tornadoes. It was free. It needs to be used. It's cold out there. And will be again tonight. Then will start warming back up. We plan on getting a big wood stove but can't afford it right now. I want one that I can cook on if I have to.

I love the warm sun on a cold morning. I love to see all the animals basking in it. They all just stand in a sunny spot to warm up after a really cold night.

I love to hear my 2 roosters crowing. They don't crow much, but when they do, I like to hear them. They are very handsome roos. Big Roo and Little Roo. It's starting to get hard to tell them apart.

I love my sheep. I love looking out the front window and seeing them out in the pastures. They calm me. They give me peace just looking at them. They are beautiful creatures. Each one has their own special personality. Sometimes they look sad. Then they smile and jump up in the air with happiness. Then they stop and look around to see if anyone saw them. Such complex creatures they are. I am so thankful they are here and are mine. I can hardly wait to see new lambs in just a few months now! I love new life.

And I love my goats. They are SO different from the sheep. They are not calming to me. They are more energetic and noisy and get into everything. But they are fun. And funny. And sometimes downright annoying, to say the least. But I cannot imagine NOT having a goat here. In fact, they are what I make the most money with. I love their milk so much. And miss it when they are dry. I love the cheese I make with the milk. I plan on making the little house next door into a nice kitchen. Maybe even commercial, I will see. And make cheese. I also want to see about milking the sheep and make cheese with their milk. That is my plan for this little farm.

I have so many plans for this place. I want a market garden. I want to make and sell cheese. And soaps. And I want to be minimal here. I want to be simplistic. I don't want to have to worry about "stuff". It just gets in the way of a simpler life. And I need a simpler life right now.

What are your plans for your farm this year? I would love to hear them.

Kris at Outback Farm

Happiness is simple.

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:19:35 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful outlook on your life, and life in general. I can't wait to plant a garden; onion tops, carrots, okra, beans, etc... I look forward to mowing the yard and watching the girl next door run out to mow her yard (just because I mowed mine). It's an on going thing between us. Of course, after she mows her yard, I'm out mowing mine again (even though I mowed four hours earlier. It drives her nuts. LOL.
Enjoy your day Kris.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:30:34 AM  Show Profile
Marly, that's what me and my neighbor do! It seems we are always mowing at the same time. But she has a super nice huge riding mower and I have a little tiny push mower. I like to think I am way healthier than her. I have to mow about an acre with that little mower. And actually, my yard looks like it could use a good mow right now. I tried letting the sheep in the yard where there is some really nice green grass. But ya know what they did? They went to all my little flower gardens and ate leaves. And ate plants. Never once ate the nice new green grass. So back out to the old brown pasture they went.

I can't wait til Spring! I am already wanting to garden again. It's been so nice and has not really felt winterish at all. Like we could go out and just til up the garden and plant it. Very strange.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:40:46 AM  Show Profile
Kris:
My neighbor stands up with her hands on her hips and watches me! What a hoot!!! Sometimes, I'll wait and mow right before the sun goes down, knowing it'll be too late for her to mow. Well, I thought that--- she'll mow with the mowing machine headlights on. LOL. My yard needs to be mowed. I'm patiently waiting for a warmer day. And- all the leaves from the neighbors yard blew into mine. Hello!!!!! Maybe I need sheep of my own to eat all of those leaves. I can't wait for Spring too.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  4:27:11 PM  Show Profile
I'd love to just plant enough to keep us in decent food and give me a good workout with putting food up in different ways. The grass here needs a good cut, but it won't happen any time soon, lol. I'm trying to narrow down what I want *most* in the garden and man it's a hard thing to do!! I'd love to get a couple of dairy goats this year, but we'll see. I'd really like to get a few peafowl and turkeys as well, again we'll see.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

http://madame1313.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  09:49:16 AM  Show Profile
I don't really have a farm per say but this year is all about making more open space that is fenced for my chickens so they have more room to play & enjoy.....right now they have a 20' X about 50' area that is enough but its right in the back yard area where the picnic table is so I would like to change that so they aren't so underfoot in the nice weather but knowing me I will open the gate so they can be with me when I need them...lol....I am also expanding my garden to an area by the side of the house because my MJ friend Debbie gave me giant sunflower seeds last year that grew & I loved them so much I want to do a large area of just them to enjoy....other than that plan (s) I have no idea what will hit me that I feel I just have to do.....lol...last year we had so much rain none of my garden did any good so this year I want to do green beans again since our stuff I canned is getting low...plus maybe do beets for the chickens..I hate them but I will grow them for the 'kids'......Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  12:27:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Rachel. I have missed you around here. I know what you mean about the garden. I want everything in it. I think my main area I need to concentrate on is a fenced area for my tomatoes. My chickens love red ripe tomatoes. Or at least the first few bites. So I want to make a place that's fenced just for tomatoes. The rest they leave alone. Well, except red peppers. I guess they's have to be in with the tomatoes too. I sure hope you get some goats. Oh, my X-BIL said something about a house in Pembroke that burned to the ground and several people were killed. Did you know them? It's such a small town. He grew up there. And my sister and her first husband lived in a really old house there when their first baby was little. I don't think I want any more turkeys again. They are so big and were getting into everything. So I sold the last 3 I had.

Hi Michele. I've missed you too. Yeah, I need to figure out the chicken situation here too. I have not gotten an egg in a long time. AND on the way home today I saw a sign for fresh eggs for sale. $2.00 a dozen. It's almost cheaper to just buy eggs from someone else now. But I did buy a bag of layer crumbles. Just gave both tribes some awhile ago. Maybe I'll get some eggs now? My friends up the road are rolling in eggs. And mine are only going on 2 years old with 8 of them just 6 or 7 months old. Not a single egg from those newbies. And last year they laid like crazy. With NO layer crumbles at all. And we've really only had maybe a week or 2 of really cold weather. Like today is probably 65. I sat outside a while ago and started knitting a dish towel. I have checked every place I can think of. I have even cleaned out both coops and put fresh straw down and in the nesters. Out back I put the wire nester back up on the wall thinking they might want it up high. They'll lat underneath it. So hopefully one day I'll get an egg or two. And I love beets. No way will the chickens get them. They can have the greens though.

I let the goats out into the side pasture today for ahile. Then they were teasing the poor ram in the other pasture, so I had to let them back in.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  4:26:59 PM  Show Profile
Hey Kris, I was away for a few months taking care of my mom, now I'm taking care of my dad (he's so helpless without my mom) I'm getting into a routine for me and it's weird after not being able to do squat I wanted to do, lol. Was that fire recent? I haven't heard anything, but then I just go to work and come home and rarely watch the news so I really don't know much about what goes on around here. I used to know most everyone who lived here, I don't anymore--yeah it's growing! We keep our birds in a huge fenced area and our garden in another spot on the yard. We've (thankfully) got plenty of room so it works out. The rabbits and deer however are another story as are the birds that like my strawberries and elderberries! I'd love to get a Royal Palm tom and a couple of bronze hens as well as some blue slates. I've got a bronze tom and royal palm hens right now. Garden wise, I want to do alot of herbs this year and I want to do a (hopefully) decent edible flower garden but I can't make up my mind where to put what.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

True enlightenment is nothing but the nature of one's own self being fully realised-- His Holiness the Dali Lama

Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  12:44:18 PM  Show Profile
Kris I loved reading your reflections on farm life,I feel much the same way,it's so fulfilling even in the rougher times and though I spend most of my days doing chores and carting water and feed to the various animals around here I wouldn't know what to do with myself if I didn't have these things to do,I reckon I might just lay my head on the table and die of pure boredom!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  2:05:27 PM  Show Profile
Kris - loved your post. Gratitude is good and contagious. It made me happy just to read it. I love being outside and working in the yard and being with my two dogs. Its so peaceful. Thank you for sharing.

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  06:53:46 AM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the nice comments. I do love this place. Although it can be hard at times. And things go wrong. And animals get out. Or they get sick. I have never lost an animal yet other than a few chickens. I am not attached to them. But when my ram that I raised from a day old gets sick, it's scary. I love that big guy. And now my oldest doe ABby is not eating. She is the animal I have had the longest of any of them. 6 years I've had her. She is very annoying and is the queen of the herd. She head butts all the others and has hurt a few. But I do love her. And when she does not eat, I know something's wrong. So I worry til she gets better. But I know at almost 10 years old she will not be around forever. I thought about it awile and talked to several people about breeding her again at her age and they all said if she's healthy why not. So maybe one more time.

Katrhyn, I would go crazy out here if I didn't have all these critters. That's what gets me up in the morning. They all depend on me for so much. But it's the between times that are so nice. When I can go outside after they have all been fed and they don't try to jump the fences to get to me. That's nice and peaceful then. When they just look up from eating grass and stay where they are. That's nice. I know they are happy and content then. And then I am too.

Lorraine, thank you. I love my dogs too. I am so glad that Stella fits so well here. When I first got her it was a little iffy. But Bubba loves her and she is so good for his old lazy self. She keeps him up and running. And even Sophie is ok with her. She's 14 1/2 and she likes to watch them run and play. But she acts like a little puppy alot herself.

Rachel, does your dad live with you? I think the fire was just a few weeks ago. So sad. I hope you get your turkeys.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
Kristin,
Thanks for the glimpse into your farm life. Sounds like wonderful plans you have!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

rksmith
True Blue Farmgirl

858 Posts

Rachel
Clayton GA
USA
858 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  5:09:46 PM  Show Profile
My dad is my next door neighbor--he might as well live with me, lol. I haven't heard about the fire, but that isn't surprising because I don't mess around with people here much at all and rarely watch the news. My dad hasn't said anything about it, so it was probably not someone I'd know.

Rachel
Farmgirl Sister #2753

Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kris!
Your beautiful post made me think of this shaker song!
'Tis the gift to be simple, 'tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
'Twill be in the valley of love and delight.
When true simplicity is gain'd,
To bow and to bend we shan't be asham'd,
To turn, turn will be our delight,
Till by turning, turning we come 'round right

Here's to leading a simple life - and knowing a farm is always the place just right!
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  12:43:48 PM  Show Profile
Jo I've only heard the first line to that Shaker song,thank you for sharing the rest,I love it!

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2012 :  1:42:24 PM  Show Profile
Jo, thank you. I never really read the whole song. I would love to be more simple. I am trying to be.

This morning, while at the dining room table doing my devotions and meditating before going outside, it was kind of dark and cloudy. While I was praying, I felt a warm light on my left side. I looked out the window and the sun poked out from between a crack in the clouds and it was amazing! The patches of green grass were so brilliant and the tiny little snow flakes falling just sparkled like diamonds. The mountain was almost purple. Everything was just so much brighter and warmer. That lasted about 5 minutes. Then the clouds covered the sun back up again. But in those few minutes, I just knew that God was there with me, showing me His glorious riches. How could anyone doubt God when beauty like this happens? It was just a little reminder to me of how much God really does love me and my little world right here.

Then I had to go outside. The ground was frozen. But I was warm. All my animals were ready to start their day again. My little world is good.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

mudpony farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

57 Posts

Jo

USA
57 Posts

Posted - Jan 14 2012 :  07:40:14 AM  Show Profile
Last night I took my two dogs out into the horse pasture to run around in the deep snow. There's definitely something very special about the beauty of those tiny glittering flakes tumbling from the great navy abyss above us. I love watching the dark sky and seeing the stars, some nights it looks like the snow comes all the way from them.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 15 2012 :  05:46:03 AM  Show Profile
8:14. That's when the sun poked up over Pigeon Mt. All the animals were waiting for it. All in their places. Waiting for the warm sun. I don't believe it got near as cold last night. And I woke up at 4 this morning and there was still fire in the fireplace! I added some more wood and went back to bed. I love mornings like this.

It is pretty at night, Jo. We live almost out in the middle of no where but there is a street light over the driveway. I have to go out in the back if I want to see stars. It's way too bright. But the critters like it.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Jan 19 2012 :  3:57:08 PM  Show Profile
All of you up north in the vast frozen white area--I'm enjoying Southern California and 70 deg. The warmth is wonderful and I hope the snow has disappeared in Pasco, WA when I return home next weekend.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Reflections Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page