Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Gluten Free Diet for husband/ Need ideas.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gluten Free Diet for husband/ Need ideas. Next Topic  

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  3:38:07 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
After years of suffering.... the doctor finally put my husband on a Gluten free diet. Hard for a woman that loves to bake bread, pies, cook home made pastas and has a hard time with this whole gluten, wheat free theory. So far lettuce wraps, lots of veges, salads corn made... everything, rice... etc. But anyone have any recipes? He has been pain free and feeling better without the wheat/gluten for two weeks, feeling pretty chipper actually. anyone out there on a gluten free diet that can share tips? Much appreciated

To Live a Full life one must LOVE MANY THINGS- Vincent Van Gogh

Mary Fitzpatrick
http//www.Thepurplecrazylady.blogspot.com

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  4:32:33 PM  Show Profile
Mary,

Glad to hear your husband is feeling better. Going gluten free can be a bit overwhelming at times. My first few weeks were the hardest and I felt like I was starving. I dropped all baked goods in the beginning. It was to confusing and hard to work with the various "safe" flours. So I kept it simple. Meat, veggies and grain I could do such as rice, quinoa, or polenta. I have since transitioned into baked goods, some are mixes from the store, others are my concotion, or I follow a recipe from one of hte may gluten free cookbooks I picked up.

Soup are an easy first recipe. You don't need flour.

My first suggestion is to search for "gluten free" or "gluten" on the board. There are several threads and some with recipes and food ideas scattered over the past few years.

Second, go through any cookbooks you have. I found vegetarian books were great and then I could add any meat I wanted. If a recipe calls for a small amount of flour try to substitute brown rice flour. We use it for everything and hubby who isn't gluten free doesn't mind it. It is a little different and when you start to delve into the realm of flours, be patient and know they will not be the same in taste or texture.

Third, if hubby needs that comfort food Amy's has a great gluten free mac and cheese dish in the frozen section. I ate this a lot when I was first pregnant.

Forth, what does he like that is automatically gluten free. Tacos are great. Use corn shells. Spaghetti - use brown rice or quinoa spaghetti. My husband likes the quinoa best and does not think is tastes like gluten free. There is some pretty bad stuff out there.

I do sympathize with you. Christmas was hard for me. I miss stuffing and baking cookies. The hardest part is eating out or gifts from other people that forget and don't realize what has gluten. Going to other people's home is one of the most difficult things because flour is in everything so be prepared to have conversations with family and friends.

If you need support or just to talk email me.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4737 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4737 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  4:47:03 PM  Show Profile
Do you have a Whole Foods by you? They sell a large selection of gluten free products. I have purchased a few gluten free cookbooks, but find the mixes for brownies, cookies, etc. actually taste better than homemade!Whole Foods and Vitacost.com sell rice flour, xanthum gum, and other ingredients that you would need to bake or cook gluten free food.

It's great the gluten free diet is helping your husband. I try to keep my youngest son on a gluten free diet because he is ADHD. Best of luck finding the right cook books and products that your husband will like.

Dawn in IL

Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  5:45:31 PM  Show Profile
Suburbanprairehomemaker.com is Anne's blog. She is always putting yummy gluten free recipes up.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  6:54:52 PM  Show Profile
I have been GF for over 3 weeks now and feel SO much better. I am not tired all the time like before. I don't wake up sore and hurting. It's amazing. And I thought, since I was grinding my own grains and making bread with the fresh grain, that this was healthy. But it was hurting me. I am not in pain anymore. I have been eating fruits, veggies and meat. And those really good (and expensive) GF crackers and cheese. My downfall. I do love cheese and crackers.

So I will followLaurie's advice. And I have been going to Ann's blog. There is also another blog of a very young girl who does GF baking. Lots of good recipes there. I'll have to go find the link to that one. I know this will get easier. Good luck. And I know your hubby will be feeling better too. My daughter is going to try this for 2 weeks to see if she needs to go GF too. O think she does.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  10:14:55 AM  Show Profile
Emily, thanks so much for the wonderful endorsement! In fact, spiced apple recipe went up today!

Mary, it's crazy at first, but you'll get the hang of it. When we first went GF, we ate lots and lots of chicken, rice and broccoli, because I knew those were all safe. Think fresh, lean meats, real vegies and fruits (not canned). Start with those as a base, then add in rice and other safe grains (millet, quinoa, amaranth). And, don't forget potatoes - they are a great starch to add in, and are naturally GF. Then go in search of brands you can trust, like Pacific Organic stocks and broths (they make the most delicious cream of chicken soup).

Like Kris, I used to be a completely from scratch baker. Now I'm the queen of mixes! Betty Crocker is my new best friend.

A great resource is the book "The Essential Gluten-Free Grocery Guide" by Triumph Dining. You can get the most current version at their website - www.triumphdining.com. They also have a restaurant guide and some cards you can take with you to ethnic restaurants. There are also tons and tons and TONS of gluten free recipe resources on the web - just type in gluten free recipes on your browser and watch the magic happen! Like Emily said, recipes on my blog are gluten free, too. In December, I did a whole bunch of cookie recipes from a tube of cookie dough - you can make them just as easily with a GF mix. Also, I did a GF Christmas Dinner Menu.

Hoping this helps. Hang in there, give yourself time and patience to learn this new way of doing things, and in a snap you'll have it down. It's really not as hard as it seems at first.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  12:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Wow ladies, Thank you for the advise and the links to Ann's blog.... i will frequent it often. Im going on the diet with him as well for the support to him as well as the fact that It can only help me too. I baked a lot over the holidays and not feeling to well myself, wheat hangover I think. LOL THe trick will be learning to bake with the different options available. I will miss my home made breads,cinnamon rolls and pies. Must find a replacement product for flour soon. Research and testing things out. In the mean time, turkey taco's with corn tortillas tonite for dinner, veges and rice.
Thanks again, any more postings comments, ideas are welcome.

Mary Fitzpatrick
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  1:58:27 PM  Show Profile
I was gluten, egg and dairy free for a couple of years but eventually determined my issues were caused by something else so I now eat wheat in moderation but still use many of my favorite gluten free recipes.

Check out the line of "Gluten Free Gourmet" books written by Bette Hagman. She has really good recommendations on flour mixes and other substitutions. Her baking book has really good bread and baked goods recipes in it. Once I got used to making my own flour mixes - which I found tasted far better than the commercially available mixes - I was able to bake goodies and share them with my family and they rarely noticed the missing gluten.

Another book I really like is "The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook" by Marilyn Gioannini. Again great recommendations on substitutions and some great recipes. This book is geared towards a broader range of food allergies including wheat but the recipes are very good.

Bottom line....baking is very possible, you just have to experiment with different ingredients until you find your groove. It seems difficult at first but you'll be comfortable with it in no time.

Hope this helps....good luck!

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  3:19:40 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much Marilyn, will look these books up on amazon.

Mary Fitzpatrick
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  08:53:48 AM  Show Profile
A book I've been using a lot is the Allergy-free cookbook by Alice Sherwood and I received a Gluten -free Christmas Cookie book from my mom. She got it at Barnes and Noble.

That's is great that you are going to eat along side your husband. It is difficult cooking different ways. My husband is not gluten free and though he'll eat what I cook, he still likes bread and wants it often.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  6:14:10 PM  Show Profile
You can find Pamela's Baking Mix and Gluten Free Pantry bread mix on Amazon. I have personally used these (nobody makes better pancakes than the Pamela's). You can order them in case lots for way WAY cheaper than you can get them at a health food store. I used the GFP Favorite Sandwich Bread mix to make potato rolls for both Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I tried doing all my GF baking from scratch - it is expensive, it is often difficult to find ingredients (and I live 15 minutes away from a Whole Foods), and I experienced lots of very expensive failures. It was very discouraging because I've been a from scratch baker most of my life. Like winning a ribbon at the County Fair for a pie crust baker. I can say from experience that the GF baking mixes have saved my sanity, and put the creativity baking brings back into my kitchen. For example, figuring out how to combine mixes to make what I used to make and still have things taste like I remember (see Day 20 of the Twenty Five Days of Treats on my blog).

I'm not a huge fan of the whole "processed food" thing, but it has become a necessity for us. I just cannot afford to spend what I consider an extravagant amount on a little bitty bit of some type of flour, only to have the recipe fail, and fail miserably. Like I said above, Betty Crocker has become my new best friend. She has lifted me up, and helped me spread my wings. I do prefer the GFP mixes when possible. They are made by Glutino brand, who also makes the most INSANELY GOOD GF Oreo-type cookies ever. Like they are better than the real ones. REally.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  7:23:25 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Thank you so much ann, got your email too. I appreciate your tips and ideas so much. No whole foods by me but I do have a Trader Joe's, which is a smaller version.

Mary Fitzpatrick
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  8:29:43 PM  Show Profile
Laurie I don't know if this is glutton free or not, but I know it doesn't have "flour" and I'm just putting it out there cause you said you miss baking cookies.

These cookies are really easy!

1 cup pb
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg

mix together. make into thumb print cookies (roll in balls, press in middle with your thumb, I can not get the traditional fork criss cross to work with these, too wet of dough!). I think I bake them at 350 for 10 minutes. It could be 375 though. I would try the 350 though.

Also I have heard that there is some forms of glutton free oatmeal out there (not all is glutton free) and then I would think the no bake pb cookies would also be ok, but you would have to use the glutton free oatmeal.

I have seen a lot of store bought mixes on the market for the past few years for cakes as well, I know when I was in high school they taught us to use cake mix to make cookies, but I can't remember how we did it! lol haha

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  8:42:45 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
oh yum Heather, He will love these cookies. thanks so much

Mary Fitzpatrick
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  09:50:05 AM  Show Profile
Flour is the most common way to get gluten, but it is in wheat, rye and barley, so that barley soup is out too. These cookies sound wonderful.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2012 :  11:07:02 AM  Show Profile
The cookies come out great. I have made them for years! Basically mainly because of money, them being glutten free is a side benifit! lol

I think the next time I make them I am going to mix a bag of chocolate chips with them. I have put candies in the thumb print though a lot of times.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  08:27:48 AM  Show Profile
potato pancakes:

3 cups shredded potatoes
1/4 cup brown rice flour
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 small shredded onion
salt and pepper

Rinse the potatoes in cold water and drain. Mix everything together. Scoop 1/3 cup mix into hot frying pan and cook 6 to 8 minutes per side.

I made these this morning. I didn't put in onion, instead I used 2 heaping spoonfuls of applesauce. I also recommend cooking just one first and testing for doneness to be sure you have the timing right. Otherwise, they are undercooked.

Serve and enjoy. This makes about 6 and I really enjoyed them.

Laurie

Go to Top of Page

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  1:21:03 PM  Show Profile
Mary we are Gluten free at our place too. There are many great web sites with all kinds of recipes. I love so many of the recipes at Elena's Pantry http://www.elanaspantry.com/.

Also baking is possible with many lovely flours made from almonds, coconut, buckwheat flour, and rice flours. Here is a great web resource about the alternate flours:
http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/od/glutenfreeingredients/tp/20-Gluten-Free-Flours.htm

If you are Gluten-free you will want to stay away from as much processed sugar as you can. I use lots of honey, and stevia in my cooking and baking.

Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

BusyBeeMary
True Blue Farmgirl

178 Posts

Mary
Nampa Idaho
178 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2012 :  2:02:22 PM  Show Profile  Send BusyBeeMary a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much!

Mary Fitzpatrick
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Gluten Free Diet for husband/ Need ideas. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page