RachelLeigh
True Blue Farmgirl

635 Posts

Rachel
Rainier WA
USA
635 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  07:57:12 AM  Show Profile
I am currently living in the city and want to put a few plants out on the patio. I am lacking a green thumb and have so far only managed to keep an ivy plant alive. Can anyone recommend some hardy plants that will handle the smog of the city? I'm wanting to practice my gardening now so that I will be able to handle it when my future husband and I move to the country.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  08:07:39 AM  Show Profile
Try the book "The Potted Herb" by Abbie Zabar. There are alot of herbs that you could grow..maybe tomatoes and peppers. I don't know much about smog though...never lived in a city. Herbs are tough though.
It is always worth a try...good luck!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2005 :  11:06:05 AM  Show Profile
I have had success growing potted peppers and tomatoes. Peppers are especially disease resistant, and oh so yummy on a salad. They also have a great shelf life after being picked. They do not freeze easily, if you give them a light cover, unless it is a hard frost. And the plant looks pretty in a large pot. I would highly recommend peppers - just about any kind.

jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

free bird
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Laura
Victoria Texas
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2005 :  04:43:46 AM  Show Profile
There is a book you might want to try, "The Bountiful Container" by Rosemary Nichols Mcgee. She is one of the owners of Nichols Garden Nursery in Oregon--the seed company where I order a lot of my vegetable seeds. She specializes in cooking as well as growing, and though I haven't read the book myself, I would think it has a lot of good stuff on growing vegetables and herbs in containers.

I love my chickens
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Apartment patio gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page