Heather B
True Blue Farmgirl

562 Posts

Heather
Longmont Colorado
USA
562 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  09:18:18 AM  Show Profile
I have the most awful time with hardboiled eggs. Not making them but peeling them! Does anyone have any farmgirl tricks that could help peel an egg so it looks nice enough for a plate of deviled eggs?

Heather

http://homesteadincity.blogspot.com/
http://littlehouseonthebumper.blogspot.com/ (My "glamper" page)

"Only your real friends tell you when your face is dirty"
Farm Girl Sister #662

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile
Heather:
I would never laugh at such a question. I have had a hard time with peeling eggs and for the same reason as you. I've tried adding a little salt while boiling the eggs. Some times it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've tried letting the cooked eggs settle in cold water for a while. Again, it works some times! Maybe other farmgirls will let us know what they do.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  09:49:35 AM  Show Profile
I would never laugh, either! I also have tried numerous things that sometimes work and sometimes don't.
I have not yet discovered a sure fire way to make every egg peel properly.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
In my experience the older the eggs, the easier they peel. When hard boiling eggs, I like them to be at least a week old, then back in the refrigerator overnight and almost always easier to peel. Of course this requires a little planning ahead, which I don't always do well. I have a dozen in the refrigerator now waiting to be peeled and deviled, just looking for a different recipe to devil them.

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:05:49 AM  Show Profile
Heather, laughing is good for you and I say that only because I count myself among the strugglers of egg peeling. Why is it that such a simple task is so hard?

I look forward to trying the ideas that arrive here.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

nin1952
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Donna
Cedartown GA
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:09:31 AM  Show Profile
I have heard that it has to do with how fresh the eggs are. Be sure to check the date on the carton or buy fresh organic eggs only.

Donna Farmgirl Sister #1487

Wheather therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile
Older eggs peel easier than fresh ones. Also a few dashes of salt and a little vinegar in the water will also help. Not much can be done for a sure fire way to do it though. I laugh at myself peelin eggs all the time. I do about twice as many eggs as I need and devil the survivors while the lost ones go into a bowl for egg salad!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  1:19:01 PM  Show Profile
This was in one of the issues of the magazine last year - try steaming them - it works great!!!! I have chickens and just about went crazy trying to use the super-fresh eggs till I read this tip - just steam in a steamer basket for 15 minutes and they peel like magic. I've shared this tip with everyone in my family and they all think I'm a genius (yes, I did mention that I didn't think of it:)). Can't remember the farmgirl's name whose idea it was but they deserve a huge thank you
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

GailMN
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Gail
Hutchinson Minnesota
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  1:34:59 PM  Show Profile  Send GailMN a Yahoo! Message
OK girls, I have another one to add. Just listened to Ina Garten on the Food Network tell how to make the perfect hard boiled, easy to peel egg.
1. Cover eggs with cold water.
2. Bring to a boil, when the water begins to boil turn off the heat.
3. Leave in water for 5 minutes after turning off heat.
4. Remove from water and let cool for 2 minutes.
5. Crack egg on sides against hard surface, roll egg to loosen shell, and Ina says, peel will come right off and yolk will be a beautiful golden yellow.

I'm trying this!

Farmgirl Sister #506
Aim high; shoot for the moon and if you miss it, grab a star.
Go to Top of Page

edlund33
True Blue Farmgirl

1497 Posts

Marilyn
Renton WA
USA
1497 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  1:49:23 PM  Show Profile
I'll second Amy Grace. My great aunt and uncle raised chickens on their farm when I was a kid, and she always steamed her eggs. It really works. A steamer basked in a sauce pan with a lid works fine. I have a rice cooker so I use that now. I use an egg timer (looks like a clear egg with a flat bottom made to go right in the pot with the eggs). They always come out perfect when the timer says they are hard "boiled" - which is usually about 15-16 minutes.

Cheers! ~ Marilyn

Farm Girl No. 1100

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2875 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2875 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  3:25:55 PM  Show Profile
STEAM STEAM STEAM!!!
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  3:54:14 PM  Show Profile
I have never heard of steaming them before.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile
I hadn't either Jessica and to be honest I was skeptical and put off trying it for a while - it really works though.

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  7:01:25 PM  Show Profile
I have found that room temperature eggs work best for me. And they have to be at least more than 3 or 4 days old. I always start with cold water. Let it get to a boil for a few minutes, then turn off the heat. Let the eggs sit about 10 minutes, then rinse them in cold water a few minutes and let them stay in cold water awhile. Then peel. But like someone else said, not every single egg will be perfect. There's always a few that are stubborn. Although one time, all the eggs peeled. It was a miracle! And I hate peeling eggs. I worked in a restarant once and they bought whole 5 gallon buckets of hard boiled peeled eggs. It was great!

Have y'all seen the commercial for the little round plastic things that you crack the egg into and boil them? They supposedly come out perfectly cooked and NO peeling. Amazing.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  05:53:21 AM  Show Profile
We use a Nordic Ware Microwave Egg cooker. It looks like a big plastic egg. It hold 4 eggs. I guess it works the same as steaming. We cook lots and lots of eggs this way because we take hard-cooked eggs to work for breakfast, and I think I can count on one hand how many times an egg has cracked. The shells always just slide off no matter how fresh the eggs are...sometimes they've been cooked the same day they were picked from the nest.
I bought our first one at WalMart. Then my husband accidentally melted it, because he set the oven on bake rather than microwave. I ordered the second one from Amazon. I think they sell electric versions too, if you don't like using a microwave.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  06:34:08 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graciegreeneyes

I hadn't either Jessica and to be honest I was skeptical and put off trying it for a while - it really works though.

I don't even own a steamer anymore I guess this is an extra push to go get one! lol

~jess
Go to Top of Page

beekeepersgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1423 Posts

Luanne
Cresco PA
USA
1423 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  07:55:28 AM  Show Profile
I always peel them in a bowl or pan of warm water and the shells slip off quite easily. Hope it works for you!

Luanne

beekeepersgirl #691

Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones.
Go to Top of Page

Ursula Norsedottir
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Amanda
Nebraska
37 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  08:16:12 AM  Show Profile
Yet another reason to replace my steamer basket. I had one of the classic metal folding ones, but my kids decided that it made a really nifty UFO. It didn't survive long after that and I did not have the heart to take it away since they are having such great imaginative fun!

http://theblackbearden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2012 :  6:50:25 PM  Show Profile
just soon I take them off the burner I run cold water just enough to cool off and then switch to warm water and peel them under the running water. And I had salt to the water before boiling starts.And I find the fresher they are the harder it is to peel. Hope it helps! Marlee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Please don't laugh..... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page