sherone_13
True Blue Farmgirl

2460 Posts

Sherone
Evanston WY
USA
2460 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  1:15:57 PM  Show Profile
This is an excellent read. It really depicts what it might have been like to be a black woman in 1960 Mississippi. Below is the description from Amazon:

Three ordinary women are about to take one extraordinary step.

Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone.

Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken.

Minny, Aibileen’s best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody’s business, but she can’t mind her tongue, so she’s lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own.

Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.

In pitch-perfect voices, Kathryn Stockett creates three extraordinary women whose determination to start a movement of their own forever changes a town, and the way women—mothers, daughters, caregivers, friends—view one another. A deeply moving novel filled with poignancy, humor, and hope, The Help is a timeless and universal story about the lines we abide by, and the ones we don’t.

Sherone

Farmgirl Sister #1682

My Blog - www.annapearlsattic.blogspot.com

Etsy Store - www.annapearlsattic.etsy.com

Women are angels. When someone breaks our wings, we just jump on our broomsticks and fly! We are flexible that way!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  2:27:16 PM  Show Profile
I loved the book! Before I see the movie, I want to re-read the book again. I hope the movie is as good.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  3:38:19 PM  Show Profile
I loved the book, and the movie! The book was, of course, better than the movie.

~jess
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  10:09:36 PM  Show Profile
I bought this book while I was in Thailand last summer. LOVE it. The movie is just now showing in the Netherlands and as soon as it is playing in my area...I am going!! Books are 99 times out of a hundred better then the movie but still......LOVED the book *Her name was Sarah*, and the movie was almost as good. Hope it will be the same with *The Help*

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

knead2garden
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Ashley
Spring City TN
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  3:25:39 PM  Show Profile
Loved the book. Have not seen the movie, yet!

~Ashley
"In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught." -Baba Dioum
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  09:11:58 AM  Show Profile
Loved the book..liked the movie alot too. (watched it on Netflix not long ago) I always like books better than their movies..but this one was pretty good.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  5:46:14 PM  Show Profile
I really enjoyed the book and the movie....my one comment, from many decades living in the deep south is this.....white people are depicted worse than they really were. They are cast as caricatures.

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Jan 06 2012 :  11:51:06 PM  Show Profile
Shirley Jean, but aren't *black people* also not almost always caricatured??(is that a word, mmm) I mean, they are almost always depicted as being dumb, *funny*, often fat etc. So I think both are so often seen as caricatures of themselves

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jan 07 2012 :  1:38:08 PM  Show Profile
good point, Dutchy! You are right. I guess that means turnabout is fair play?

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic The Help Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page