Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Cleaning Up
 People that are cleaning and clearing for 2012
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Cleaning Up: Previous Topic People that are cleaning and clearing for 2012 Next Topic
Page: of 2

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  3:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Using My Simple Life or Flylady or whatever.

How did you start your day? Did you read a devotional?

What did you tackle today?

Is it getting better?

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.flossesandcrosses.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2011 :  7:48:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am doing it because we are in the process of a move- so we are purging quite a bit that does not need to be carried around with us anymore. I am really looking forward to being all moved in so we can settle into farm life!

So far I have gotten rid of a lot of clothing that is old, out dated, or doesn't fit right. I also have gotten rid of books that are damaged, not in the "re-read" list or just unappealing. I also have cleared out quite of bit of things that really should have been dealt with a long time ago- like old cracked pots and such. The next big challenge is going to be clearing out the kitchen and all the mismatched lids and such for storage containers! :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  2:55:04 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
We moved from a three bedroom house to living with family to a 1000 sq ft apartment. That makes you think about each thing that you keep. LOL

My kitchen is my sticking point. It is so small. I just can't figure out how to best use what I have. Most of the cupboards I have to get my hubby to reach things in it.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amy- That is how my current kitchen is too! Do you have large cupboards or small ones? If they are large, you can buy cupboard organizers at walmart pretty cheap which help divide things into more usable space (as opposed to the dreaded jumble that falls out on your toes for example...) If they are small already then you have to start getting creative like using the top of the fridge and such for storage :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:30:33 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
They are dinky. Plus all head level. Yikes.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:31:32 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Refrig holds laundry soap, fabric softner, etc

I think it is called a galley kitchen. I hate it. LOL

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  5:58:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm trying to get my craft/yoga room more organized. And I'm clearing out the mental trash by planning on attending at least two yoga classes per week. I just paid for the first month of classes starting in January. I want to simplify my life in 2012.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  07:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
My sister started Yoga. I am thinking about it.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  08:18:56 AM  Show Profile
We have our house for sale, so we are quite busy clearing out anything we haven't used these past 9 years. I also have to sell my late parents house here in IL and have been slowly clearing it out as well. My folks have another home in WI that will have to wait until I can get there in the spring.

Lots of work, but I find it satisfying to tidy up my own home. It is quite heartbreaking dealing with my late parents stuff though.

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  09:45:49 AM  Show Profile
I am in the process of cleaning out the attic. It seems to never end! I knew I had a lot of stuff, but never realized just how much. LOL
Amy, thanks for the Simply Life suggestion.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  10:44:18 AM  Show Profile
Last year, I got my kitchen cupboards all organized and cleaned up, thanks to one of our farmgirl sister's challenge. Thankfully, we've managed to keep it in good shape, too (although that "Tupperware" cupboard still drives me nuts - toss it in and slam the door shut for luck, I say!!!).

Today is my day to start cleaning and organizing my office for 2012... Can you see, though, how I am procrastinating? LOL! It's a holiday weekend - I've got tomorrow, too! ;) This year, my goal is to KEEP my office organized (when I worked, I was famous for a meticulous work space - I don't know what has happened to me!!!), and to organize all of the closets in our house, donating old clothes and unnecessary linens. It's amazing what a family can collect over a few short years, isn't it?

God bless you, Marly for getting to the attic... I swear we will never move simply because we've got two rooms full of stuff up in ours to sort through. I can't say I envy you, Dawn, OR you, Alee with all the work you're doing getting ready for moves... But Kudos! And best of luck in getting it done! It really does feel better getting out from under the weight of clutter and needless things.

My husband jokes that our full closets and attic actually serve as sort of insulation from the summer and winter weather. I just want to simplify... Although we constantly give things away to friends and family, I think our communities are in greater need than ever. It's time to share!

Good luck to all of you - stay strong! We can do this!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

marlee
True Blue Farmgirl

1650 Posts

Marlene
DeRidder Louisiana
1650 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  11:42:15 AM  Show Profile
I don't want to sound dense but what is Flylady? Marlee
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  1:16:13 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
http://flylady.net/

WARNING It can be overwhelming with emails.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  1:17:48 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Also http://www.mysimplerlife.com/blog/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  2:08:14 PM  Show Profile
I tried flylady - toooo many e-mails...

I am trying to find a Web-site that a friend told me about. If I find it again, I am trying it, and will share with you all.

I try to start my day with a daily devotional or an on-line sermon, such as from Joyce Meyer (exercise will be the absolute first very soon).

I make a list each night for the next day and cross it off. What doesn't get done, gets moved to the next day until it's done. Now that I know the demands of a garden and stocking up, I can be better organized this year.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  2:15:49 PM  Show Profile
Took a day off today. But did major work on the fridge and oven two days ago. That wore me out big time!!! Since we plan to put the house back on the market come spring, will be going great guns starting this week to either toss, donate or give away. Hubby already went through a gazzlion photo albums and did his tossing of old pics and sorting into boxes to send to his kids. He kept what he wanted on one book. Next is to go through his clothes and donate as well as my craft room and toss what I haven't used and donate the yarn I got to make things and never got around to. Some days I take one room at a time and I feel real good when it gets all done. The idea of a "simpler life" is my goal for 2012.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  5:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Love Joyce Meyer.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2011 :  5:55:34 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Here is another great site.

http://31daystoclean.com/

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  06:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Amy, it is My Simpler Life : http://www.mysimplerlife.com/

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  10:46:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow-- cleaning out today big time. Have already cleared out 3 kitchen garbage cans full and I don't even think we have made a dent. How do we accumulate so much stuff? New motto- if it is worn out, get rid of it and if we haven't used it- get rid of it. This is starting to get ridiculous. No wonder I have felt like I have been fighting an uphill battle to keep the house clean.

I wonder if out consumerism in this day and age is a recoil from the spartan lifestyles of the pioneer and depression eras? Maybe the children of those parents put a value on material items because that is what they never had and it has just gained momentum with each generation? Being told we should have the best of the best more- more more etc until that is what we think we need to strive for? I mean do I really need enough blankets to double up what we need to keep warm for 3 additional beds? Or would just a couple spares work just fine? When have I ever really "run out" or even come close to blankets? And would I keep up with my laundry better if I didn't have 15 towels for 3 people?

This is silly!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  11:38:07 AM  Show Profile
Alee:
I had to laugh at myself as I read your post. I agree. I'm in the process of cleaning out, letting go of stuff, throwing stuff, etc... Hopefully I'll never keep this much stuff again.
Hope your move is going good.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2012 :  12:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Just cleaned out 13 drawers in my kitchen. We have a lot of drawers. They all got organized and wiped down. All the baby spoons and forks got taken out since my girls have pretty much switched to normal silverware. Then got some clutter off the counter. It felt really good.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2012 :  10:29:38 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I find that I like having less towels. I miss them sometimes. But I am making myself do a load of laundry everyday and pop towels in the washer before I go to bed. Being in the muggy south, I don't like leaving wet towels around. Even in the winter.

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Annie S
True Blue Farmgirl

756 Posts

Annie
Custer S.D.
USA
756 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  10:19:27 AM  Show Profile
I'm on a rampage!! Went through the bathroom cupboards and drawers and tosses out all the old meds we had plus other stuff that hadn't used in a long time. Also started to make a pile of donations to Goodwill clearing out the closets. Next mission is to go through the kitchen and clean and organize and toss. Have way too many things that I could donate and someone else could use. 2012 is my year to simplify my life around the house. With less "stuff" around the cleaning will go a lot easier. Just wish DH was on the same page. My list is getting longer each day of things I think of to clean and re-organize or toss. It's really a great feeling after I get even the smallest thing accomplished. One little thing each day eventually adds up to a lot down the road.
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  11:22:59 AM  Show Profile
Today I came to work at my nanny job. I started my day with praying as I drove to work. Since I been here today . I have cleaned the pantry out, did all the laundry and cleaned drawers out. Straightened the cabinets. I now have everyone sleeping so I placed my Avon order,worked on lesson plans for my other job.
At home Im trying to get my craft room in order as JoAnn's sales have caused me to stock up . Im working on downsizing my kitchen. Then off to clean out my closet. That hasn';t been done in awhile. Also this winter I need to clean the attic out as I know it's full.
Happy Organizing,
Ruthie Ann
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2012 :  12:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Today was Playmobile day for my daughter. She had to find every little piece of Playmobile and put it in a two bin stacker that I got her. All the bigger pieces like the castle etc got put in the corner. It will get a place in the closet when it is done.

I am taking a day for each large collection of toys. I am going to put bins in the living room. I will mark them Little Pony, Littlest Pet Shop, etc That way we will be able to tell which collection is getting too big and weed out the little crappy McDonald's toys etc. Then I will set the timer and have her clean out for that time period. This will help keep "I don't know where to start" or "I am too tired" from happening.

I also made myself add that I am going to buy a bin or storage every pay until the apartment is tidyed up. Everything will have a place to be.

Farmgirl #1259

Edited by - MrsRooster on Jan 04 2012 12:20:44 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Cleaning Up: Previous Topic People that are cleaning and clearing for 2012 Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page