Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 **Welcome Wagon
 Brand new and excited to find this site!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Brand new and excited to find this site! Next Topic
Page: of 2

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2005 :  8:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
First read about MJ in a magazine and I've a close friend who makes willow furniture. It has long been a dream of mine to live on a farm and make a living through a non-conventional way. Am looking for a couple things at the present time. New beef recipes that are healthy for one thing. Second is we are putting in a garden and one aspect of it will be red and I'd like suggestions for low lying red flowers. We'll be going my beau's brand in red with surround white flowers. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

What luck have you had with growing lavendar in Zone 5 (Whitman County)?

Would love to make friends/acquiantances with other country girls that work in the city during the week.

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal gardening tips, any and all tried and true ez home crafts & recipes.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2005 :  10:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Suzy!!
I planted lavendar here in zone 5 (central Utah) and it did great as far as growing..now to see how it wintered. I think it is coming back...hopefully. I do hope so!!!
sounds like your garden will be so pretty!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  04:25:32 AM  Show Profile
Suzy - welcome from across the country in Florida. Just noticed that your country designation is Afghanistan. Check you profile and edit that unless you are really in Afghanistan! I did this same thing when I originally signed on. It is a scrolling thing.

What is your beau's brand?
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  06:55:40 AM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Good Morning from the Pacific Northwest! I hope I do this reply correctly ... haven't had my coffee yet. I am a huge lavendar fan and have a longstanding dream of doing something more then just growing it. What is your favorite type of lavendar. I definitely plan to plant quite abit of it. My poor beau ... he doesn't know what he is getting into when he said I could plant a garden!

Bless,
Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal gardening tips, any and all tried and true ez home crafts & recipes.
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  06:57:58 AM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Suzy - welcome from across the country in Florida. Just noticed that your country designation is Afghanistan. Check you profile and edit that unless you are really in Afghanistan! I did this same thing when I originally signed on. It is a scrolling thing.

What is your beau's brand?
jpbluesky

Love those big blue skies and wide open spaces.

Florida! Warm weather, eh? We've had a drought and now are predicted to get some rain/snow! Thanks for the heads up .... I changed my profile to America. My beau's brand is a flying M with a quarter moon over it.

Bless,
Suzy

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  08:04:02 AM  Show Profile
I love french lavender but have grown alot of different types over the years...french has been my favorite no matter what.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  08:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by Aunt Jenny

I love french lavender but have grown alot of different types over the years...french has been my favorite no matter what.

Jenny in Utah

Jenny, How do I reply without having the original post in? What types of things to you use you lavender for? I've always dried it and used it year round, but would like to get more creative.

Bless,
Suzy

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  08:27:44 AM  Show Profile
Suzy, I grow several types of lavender in Wenatchee. I think the key is a sunny location, sandy soil, or at least well drained soil, and not over watering.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you can do a "quick reply", which does not include your original message in the text. If you want to get more creative, just above the quick reply box is a choice for "reply to topic", and in that box you have color choices as well as smiley faces and font choices.

Glad you've joined us!

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Edited by - Clare on Mar 23 2005 08:29:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2005 :  10:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for answering the tech question Clare..I would have been stumped. Guess I always just do the quick reply button and never had that come up!!!
Suzy...I dry most of mine, but do use it for cooking as well as the smell. I make my own tea with it..mixed with chamomile most often, and some mint, orange peel, that sort of thing..I play it by ear..no recipe. And I make lavender sugar by putting a few clean dry blossoms (not dried..just not wet..but fresh) down into a quart glass jar full of regular sugar. It sits in a dark place for a week or so and then I use it in tea, or to sprinkle the tops of cookies or other desserts.
I tie fresh lavender on any gifts I give during the blooming season..which is LONG!! with a little raffia..sort of my "trademark" Right now all I have to tie on gifts is daffodils..and I have done that too. I did tie on some dried lavender to a baby shower gift last week.
I use it in soap (dried and crumbled) sometimes, and in bath salts that I make for gifts. I love to have a little vase of fresh lavender here and there in the house just for the smell. I have made lavender vinegar and lavender toilet water before too..there are lots of ideas out there in herb books. I sleep with a little lavender and hops dream pillow inside my regular pillow case...relaxing!! I have made padded hanger covers and put a handful of dried lavender buds in with the stuffing..makes your sweaters smell great!
There was a shop in Calif when I lived there where they had so many different varieties..not the case here! I am going on vacation there in a couple weeks and plan to get some seedlings to bring home...I had some white lavender that was short and delicate looking once and was so pretty. It looked related to the munstead type..which I like too. THe only type I ever grew that I was not nuts about was candleabra lavender..it had a big giant beautiful plant (so it has SOME redeeming value) and grew like crazy..but it had almost no smell!!
Here I have to fight this clay soil (I add lots of stuff to it to make it well drained) I have a small half circle herb garden right in the front yard under our big front window and the lavender is right at the end closest the house. I can't wait for warmer spring days...another month or so before I can safely put out seedlings.
As for low lying red flowers..what about verbena? It comes in all colors..but i have had a deep red that was so pretty and lacey looking and low for sure.
For healthy beef recipes I like chinese type cooking. I love to do beef broccoli...(if you like broccoli) and I will look for a recipe for you. I am sort of an experimental cook and don't write things down alot..but that would for sure be healthy.

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

karlajs
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

karla
apopka florida
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  09:59:54 AM  Show Profile  Click to see karlajs's MSN Messenger address  Send karlajs a Yahoo! Message
Hi everyone! I am new to this site and so far I love everything that I have seen here. I am a stay at home mom for now. I have 3 children ages 14,13, and 10. Their names are Shannon (which is a girl) Alex (boy) and Kaitlin(girl). I love to garden when the weather is not so hot, unfortunately we are going into our hot months here. Of course I am lucky if anything grows in my garden of sand! Ha. Oops I forgot to say that I am living in florida. Well I would love to chit chat if anyone wants to do so. See ya around! Karla
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  10:26:38 AM  Show Profile
Welcome to the site Karla,
There are others in your neck of the world who post here. I am sure you will find lots of interresting things in all of the discussions that speak to you. Many of us have been or still are stay at home moms and also many have or are home schooling. It seems to me that there are a lot of wonderful things that grow in florida even in the sand. Can't wait to hear and see some of yours.
Have fun exploring the site and chime right in with your thoughts!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  11:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi and welcome Karla! Glad you found us and look forward to hearing about your life in Florida! Jenny

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  11:36:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karla!! Welcome! I had sand to grow things in when I lived near the beach in Calif too, and the answer was adding stuff to the soil. Since I had animals it was mostly rabbit and goat and sheep manure and stuff, but you can add compost (even store bought) and it sure helps the soil hold the water. Now that I live in Utah I add the same stuff for the oposite problem..to help let air in the soil and let it drain better..since now we have clay soil. Funny that it can make such a difference. I bet lavender would grow good there where you are as long as you kept it watered well..I had great lavender in Calif and struggle a little more with it in Utah..(don't give up!!!!)
Anyway, welcome!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

terese
True Blue Farmgirl

63 Posts

terese
chagrinfalls ohio
USA
63 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  12:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Send terese an AOL message
There is a wonderful cookbook called "The cook and the
Gardener" by Amanda Hesser. It is filled with wonderful recipes and
plus it is a wonderful story. It is a pleasure to read and I have used it 1,000 times

beginnings
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  1:55:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Karla - I am from Florida, too. We used to stay at a cabin on Lake Como (spelling?) near Apopka. It was in the country then, and a small town atmosphere for sure. The ground is much sandier than where I am in north Florida, but I bet you can get citrus to grow very nicely! Welcome!

jpbluesky

"Keep us here, all simply in the springing of the year." From A Prayer in Spring by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2005 :  7:20:09 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Welcome Karla!! You'll find lots of wonderful friends, wisdom and soooo much information on this site. Everyone is terrific and I've learned quite a bit.

Bless,
Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2005 :  06:41:50 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karla and WELCOME! We have alot of fun here and share tons of info so I hope you get a chance to read some of the old postings that interest you. I have an 11 yr. old boy and was a stay at home until this year when I went back part time. Hope to hear from you soon!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2005 :  3:14:09 PM  Show Profile
Welcome aboard Karla! You'll love this board and all the wonderful frineds you'll make!

farmgirl@heart

Be at peace with yourself and the rest will follow
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  1:34:16 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
Hello Farmgirls!!!
Big howdy from Farm Country in Laporte ,IN!! I am sooo excited to be part of this group!!I have spent the past 6 1/2 years commuting daily from chicago.( 3 1/2 plus hours daily ) Now, I am working out of my home studio on my 7 acre farm running my long arm quilting business!.My interests include: gardening, old tractors,fabric(vintage and new)
antiques(junk and primitives) and quilts!( old tops and blocks,parts ,art quilts) and cats(4) dogs(3).I was used to interacting with co-workers and clients a lot during the workday..It was a very social environment ...but I am looking forward to making lots of farmgirl friends online!! Im surprised at how lonely it can get!!!If any of you are traveling thru IN...Im right off the tollroad...the laporte exit..come say Hey!!!!!...and bring your quilt top!!!!!!!
susan atwell

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  2:00:33 PM  Show Profile
Welcome, Susan - A lot of us are quilters here. You will feel right at home and you can chat to your heart's content. It does it make it fun during the day to check this site and reply and exchange info. My quilting table is right next to my computer! I jump back and forth.

Glad to have you here.
jpbluesky

O, cease to heed the glamour that blinds your foolish eyes,
Look upward to the glitter of stars in God's clear skies.

from God's Garden by Robert Frost
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 16 2005 :  2:01:19 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Atwell! Glad you found us! You will get hooked here! There are lots of quilters here too! Chime in anytime on the various topics. There is lots of information and ideas here, and we have a lot of fun! Welcome again! Jenny from Kansas

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century.
Go to Top of Page

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  09:18:26 AM  Show Profile
Hi Susan and Karla, You both sound like one of the family. Welcome!
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  4:26:58 PM  Show Profile
Hi Susan...you sound like you would be so fun to meet..wish I were closer...welcome to the group!!

Jenny in Utah

Go to Top of Page

brownswissgal
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Julie
Plainfield Wisconsin
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  7:00:54 PM  Show Profile
Great to see so many newbies like myself... WELCOME :)

Greetings to all my farm sisters.... all the critters here are finally starting to get rid of their winter coats....

Julie

I never met a cow I didn't like
Go to Top of Page

pnwchica
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Suzy
WA
USA
46 Posts

Posted - May 17 2005 :  7:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send pnwchica an AOL message
Welcome Susan & Karla,

You've discovered a wonderful place; friends, words of wisdom, great discussions, answers to questions, you name it ... it is here! Susan, I'd love to have you about to help me with my quilting!!!

Bless,
Suzy

Looking for new beef recipes, frugal & gardening tips, farmhouse remodeling & ez home recipes.
Go to Top of Page

brownswissgal
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

Julie
Plainfield Wisconsin
USA
29 Posts

Posted - May 18 2005 :  06:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Karla...

Welcome... sounds like you're a busy woman... I'm a stay at home momma again at 39.... (had my little Emily at 38 :) It's a great learning experience for children to learn everyday life goodies with momma :) our brown cow (brownswiss) Sweetpea is due to freshen in a month and a half and my older daughter is tickled pink to know she'll be able to see the birth!

Lavender grows wild here in Wisconsin and I plant it at well. We are in major sand area here in Central Wisconsin (potatoe land) so it grows real well.

Hugs to all,

Julie and her critter crew

I never met a cow I didn't like
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic Brand new and excited to find this site! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page