Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 What's nontoxic and can really help keep you safe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic What's nontoxic and can really help keep you safe? Next Topic  

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  9:55:46 PM  Show Profile
INFORMATION!!! Make a list, mental or otherwise, of what utilities you have - water, electricity, natural gas, etc. - and how to turn them off at the main switch or valve. If you need a tool, like a wrench to do it, make sure you know where to find one and that you know how to use it. I did this and realized that in order to turn off my natural gas at the meter, I needed a LARGE wrench, which I wouldn't have known where to find unless I had asked my husband - in HIS toolbox! It's good to know these things ahead of time rather than trying to figure them out when water is pouring out of your basement pipe or you smell natural gas (get out fast!).

Another thing to think about as autumn rolls around is getting that chimney swept - if you have a wood burner, make sure to get it cleaned out, or do it yourself. We do ours ourselves, and it's really not that hard. You can purchase a chimney sweeping "getup" - poles and all - for around $50-$100 depending on how many poles you need.

Keep safe!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  08:24:07 AM  Show Profile
Libbie
Good reminders, thanks...I was just thinking about this sort of thing...there have been so many wild fires in the Salt Lake Valley, and the first thing you should do if your home is threatened is turn everything off!
I better check on the gas meter!
Thanks
Kate

http://theknifemakerswife.blogspot.com/2006/07/knifemakers-wife.html
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  8:52:06 PM  Show Profile
Libbie, it might be a good idea to attach the proper wrench to the shut-off valve. That way it is there if/when you need it and handy if a neighbor has to be the one to turn it off.
Be prepared!
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  11:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Sharon - that's a great idea! I think I will......

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic What's nontoxic and can really help keep you safe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page