Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making curtains Next Topic  

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  04:02:11 AM  Show Profile
there are so many wonderful suggestions here soooo I need to create a drapery of some kind for two large front windows to block the chilly air from creeping in. this house is chilly. would a sheet be serviceable and not look to stupid ? it's big enough, the right color, if I dressed it up a bit ?

grammytammy
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

Tamara
Binghamton ny
USA
585 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  04:38:24 AM  Show Profile
If the windows are really drafty I'm not sure a sheet would give you enough warmth. I have curtains that are made of quilts, that might work better for you. And they look beautiful

FarmGirl 2495
God loved us so much He gave His only son to die in our stead.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2011 :  06:27:22 AM  Show Profile
I made curtains for my niece's room 2 years ago, out of a suede type fabric from the fabric store (it was on sale for less than half price, so I figured it was good! Otherwise it wouldn't have been bought due to the price.). It did have a lining on it (that was not straight at all - I had to pin it to the wall, then trim it up.

What I did with my curtains for my patio door is I have 2 sets of curtains, one is mine (blue stripe) & a tan set. The blue ones don't quite reach to the bottom, but it works/does the purpose. It's a very drafty door & I was going to put plastic on it, but it's not that cold, and there's no snow, so I still use the patio. Anyways, I found a navy fleece sheet from Value Village for $10 & sewed it on to the back of the curtains. Looks nice & does what it needs to do :).

Have you tried the plastic? You can do either indoor or outdoor & you can hardly tell it's on the window.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  1:00:21 PM  Show Profile
I made a big drape (we call it our yurt) to cover our open stairwell in the winter with home dec fabric that is backed with pre-quilted fabric. It looks really pretty, and helps to block the cold air from creeping down the lower half of the stairs into the basement. It works really well and was super simple to make, too. All straight seams, a pocket rod for the top that we slide over a shower curtain rod, and a hem.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  6:15:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey Patricia,

I cannot sew (yet) but one thing I did for our drafty front window is I rolled a blanket lengthwise, tied the ends with ribbons to secure and just place it on the windowsill. it helps alot.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  08:45:01 AM  Show Profile
I have made curtains before just not this big, think I'll have to go look at heavier fabric than what I have. made a draft roll out of some leftover corduroy for the front door, that helps keep the cold air from seeping in under the door
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic making curtains Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page