True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  11:16:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

As some of you may remember, my oven died on Thanksgiving. Thankfully, I had a roaster and the microwave to use until we could get out to get a new one. My hubby has been working crazy hours, so I wasn't pressing him to go with me to pick anything out til he had some time off to rest and reset. That gave me plenty of time to shop around online and through the newspaper inserts, check the consumer reports and customer feedback... I felt extremely well-equipped when it came to negotiating with the sales clerks. I knew brands, I knew the pros and cons, I knew the costs... I was good to go. Let me tell you - I ended up saving QUITE a bit of money!!!

Thinking I had found the best deal for what I wanted, we were headed out to a major department store to make the purchase. On the way there, we stopped for gas. The light from the home and garden store nearby really caught my gaze, and something told me we might want to make a stop there before heading out to the mall. I fluttered my eyelashes, smiled and sweetly asked my extremely exhausted husband if we could make a quick stop there - just to see. Maybe they had a scratch-and-dent model that would be even cheaper - it might be worth the time to check and see. Not at all happy about the prospect of making an extra stop, my DH made one of those deep-breathed sighs and said, "Sure." He can't resist me when I'm being cute AND trying to save him money all at the same time! ;) LOL!

After we looked around a bit, the sales clerk came over to see if we needed any help. I told her what I wanted, what I was looking to spend, what I had found elsewhere, etc. And I asked if they had any better deals - perhaps even a return? She didn't have anything scratch-and-dent, but she did show us a couple of models we had missed which fit the bill. The ranges were comparable to what we were looking for, had an extra bell and whistle (or two), and the prices were within the range we were looking, even with the extras. Nice.

The lady was very helpful, answered all my questions, and even helped me narrow my choice down when she realized one of the two finalists was missing a key feature that, for me, was a deal breaker. I was extremely grateful to her for catching that, and thanked her profusely!

While mulling it over with my husband, I made sure to mention the other store a couple of times. Then I asked her about delivery - they offered free next day delivery. She said they would also remove our old over for free. (Although, we ended up bringing it in to be recycled and received a little cash back to put toward the cost of the new one!) We could get free financing, too; but we were paying cash. I commented to my husband how at the other store, they'd give me a discount if I purchased it on credit, but you'd think they'd give me the discount if I were paying cash. She immediately stated that she would match the price of the store at the mall, since the models were actually the same ovens. (Apparently Maytag and Whirlpool are one company now, and sell the same models under both brand names!)

So, mustering a little chutzpah, I took a deep breath. I looked her square in the eye, smiled and said, "I really appreciate your help with all of this. This really is a nice model, and it really does look like the one at the other store. We really don't need financing, though, because, as I said, we're paying with cash. I hate to ask, but this is such a big purchase... Is this the absolutely best price you can do on this for me?" She nodded no, she could do better and asked us to wait a second while she checked on something. She came back and offered me an ADDITIONAL 10% over and above the already super fair discounted sale price! I was SO excited!

THEN, to save us even more money, she suggested we run over to the grocery store and buy gift cards for the home and garden store before making the purchase. That way, we'd also earn the double fuel points through the grocer which would give us a nifty discount to apply against our next fill up. When we did so, we realized we could also use our debit card to purchase the gift cards which would earn us additional cash back on our purchase! So, we'd get a generous discount on our oven purchase, a generous discount earned on our next fuel purchase, cash back next month from our debit card AND a little extra cash for recycling the old stove! Awesome!!!

What is really exciting is to learn just how much we saved on the range itself! When we got home that night, I scoured the internet for prices on the exact same model and its "sister"... Even with all the sales out there, I STILL managed to save $60 over and above the best sale price I found online! Just by asking, we ended up saving a bundle - about $180 total - off of the original retail price when all was said and done!!! Let's just say my hubby was extremely happy and shocked to be leaving the store with unexpected cash in his wallet!

So, lessons learned? (1) It definitely pays to do your homework. (2) If you've got a hunch (like stopping somewhere "just in case"), trust your instincts. (3) I definitely pays to ask for their best deal!

I wonder if it's okay to do something nice to thank that sales clerk? I was thinking of spending a little bit of our savings on her as a little thank you! Maybe a gift card or something? What do you think? I think she deserves it - and more!

Well, signing off as one happy camper - er, uh, cooker!

Hugs,

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Dec 18 2011 11:34:30 PM

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  05:52:41 AM  Show Profile
That would be nice, to send her a little something since she went out of her way to help you. Sounds like you got a really good deal there. Wow! Not too ofter nowadays that one gets such good service at any store. I am always so glad to hear that there are sincere people working at businesses that want to spread goodwill. They know that you will pass the word to others and that will generate more business for them.

Hugs,
Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.

Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  05:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations on your new oven, Nini! Glad you got such an awesome deal. Don't you love that when that happens. It never hurts to ask.

Happy Baking and Cooking!

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  05:57:37 AM  Show Profile
Great story. You could consider writing her employer and telling them how knowledgeable and helpful she was. You never know when she is up fora raise and your comment might just help. I love the idea of giving her a little something too.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:42:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Most stores have an employee ethics policy where they can not accept tips or gifts from customers. It is to keep people honest so they aren't giving huge discounts to friends and family I think. But one of the nicest things you could do would be to write a letter to the manager and tell them how helpful and kind that clerk was. And if it is a national brand- sent it to the corporate headquarters as well with the date and location. Sometimes companies have internal reward systems for excellent customer service.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13641 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13641 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:45:10 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
YAY!!! It DOES pay! And I agree with Emily . . . let her employer know AND a little Christmas thank you would be appreciated I'm sure.
I'm a believer in "what goes around, comes around"!
Happy baking!
CJ

P.S. Did you bake cookies yesterday? MaryJanes Calendar said "bake cookies today" for yesterday, Sunday the 18th. :)

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:23:14 AM  Show Profile
I would take in a card and a plate of cookies or home-made bread, something she can share in the breakroom if she chooses. Also, let her boss know she's a great employee and you'll come back there in the future.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  08:23:29 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

Yes! I'm THRILLED with my new oven, and with the excellent experience at the store! I'm sorry - I meant to tell you that I did already write to the manager of the store about this outstanding employee! :) I didn't send the salesperson a personal note yet, as I had been trying to think what an appropriate thank you gift would be to send along with it.

Alee - I had forgotten about the ethics policy and not accepting tips/gifts, you're absolutely right about that. Thank you for reminding me. I will probably just send a gushing thank you letter to her instead. Maybe I'll call the store manager first to see if it would be okay to send her a little thank you, though. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask, right? :) I had not considered contacting corporate, though. I definitely will do that!

I really do think that when you receive such outstanding service, are pleased with a product and its quality, or receive such unexpected savings, you really should acknowledge it in every way possible! It's so rare to have a person even look you in the eye anymore, let alone take time to really listen to and help try to meet your needs and concerns. This lady was OUTSTANDING and certainly an asset to the company! I pray they do recognize her for her excellent work! :)

CJ - yes! I did bake all day yesterday... but not cookies! I spend the day made chocolate rum cakes for our neighbors! *<|;)} Cookies will definitely be made this week after school, though. The girls I babysit have been planning this ever since they knew I'd have an oven again! LOL! I can't WAIT for them to see the aprons you've made for them - they are going to be squealing and jumping up and down with delight! :) You ROCK, farmgirl!!!

Happy, happy day!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page
  Nifty Thrifty: Previous Topic It definitely pays to ask ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page