Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Holidays
 Things I'll do NEXT Christmas.........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Holidays: Previous Topic Things I'll do NEXT Christmas......... Next Topic  

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Once again I'm finding myself way behind on virtually everything this year. The decorating, the baking, the buying of gifts. And I will shamefully admit that I do this each and every year, dang it!

So I'm hoping to make sure this doesn't happen again next year by plotting what I'm going to do and when in hopes of not being in this same predicament. I'd be awfully interested to hear what other ladies do in preparation of the holidays!

Here's a sampling of hopefuls:

1. Buy EARLY for the gifts.
2. Mix, bake and decorate all my goodies right after Thanksgiving - then throw in my deep freezer.
3. Locate (or buy, if needed) all decorations and have them ready to go up soon after Turkey Day.
4. Have Christmas cards and stamps purchased BEFORE Turkey Day so they're ready to go. And having my mailing list updated and ready to print out is a must. Get in mail ASAP so they're DONE.
5. New outfit all lined up no later than the second week of December.
6. New haircut/color by mid December.
7. Only thing left is to enjoy the month of festivities with hubby and family!

Ladies, did I miss anything?

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

http://farmchicatheart.blogspot.com/

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  04:49:56 AM  Show Profile
Your list looks great. We don't send out cards anymore here. It's just another cut in our budget. I do however, realize that I need to start making handmade crocheted/knitted or other items in the winter now. I used to make items over the summer, but now that we grow a garden (and made it larger each year ) I don't have the time, then I am scrambling in the fall to get them finished.

I'm making a list of ornaments I want to make and possibly add to my "store" also.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  7:51:07 PM  Show Profile
Kristina, a lot of people are doing cards via email. I've not looked into it but that would be a cost effective alternative. I'd always wanted to do handmade Christmas cards but it never came to fruition.

I had intended to make crocheted items for people on my list but breaking my arm put a damper on that little idea. But there's always next year.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

"Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms." George Eliot

Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  08:16:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow, that is an extensive list and I'm a preparer, buying gifts early, etc. Number one on my list: Don't stress it. The season is to be enjoyed and if someone doesn't get a card, maybe a phone call will work. Oh but #8: Hide gifts in a place I remember. That's key!

Best of luck Karen,
Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  08:43:44 AM  Show Profile
I had to laugh when I saw the title - I think that every year!! "next year I'll....." I made a good start on my next year this year - most of my presents were purchased by the first of December. which means, as Laurie recommended, I can enjoy my family - I do think I have a present hidden somewhere that I have forgotten about though.....

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  3:08:13 PM  Show Profile
My list is similar Karen!

1. Buy & make EARLY for the gifts. I'm aiming for March. So that means in January/February, I need to make a list of things I want to have done & who they're for!
2. Make some Christmas "things" - Grandma's cookies, shortbread, toffee/fudge etc.
3. Decide if I'm putting up Christmas stuff & do it the first weekend in December (or last weekend in November, if I need)
4. Have my Christmas cards & letters made up & ready to go by mid-November (to send beginning of December)
5. Enjoy!

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  2:57:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I really like the idea of having my cards done and ready to go before Thanksgiving - good thinking! And I also like the idea of making a list of what I'm going to make EARLY and getting the supplies around so they'll be done in plenty of time. The bonus to that would be that I won't have to feel as if I'm rushed....hence, I will do a better job.

I just love the holidays so much but I don't enjoy it nearly as much as I'm always rushed, stressed, behind,etc. I'm going to make every effort to see that it will be different next year.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  11:01:09 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by missusprim

Kristina, a lot of people are doing cards via email. I've not looked into it but that would be a cost effective alternative. I'd always wanted to do handmade Christmas cards but it never came to fruition.

I had intended to make crocheted items for people on my list but breaking my arm put a damper on that little idea. But there's always next year.

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Getting sick really put a damper on my handmade gifts this year too. I can imagine the "damper" it put on your handiwork. Hopefully, we can cheer each other on, to prepare early this next year.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
I am chuckling as I read this thread. I too have started a list for next Christmas. I think that I will start a Holiday Journal to put ideas and lists into and build on it from year to year. It would be a pleasant tradition to sit down with a cup of tea and spend some time reflecting on the holidays just passed in the time between Christmas and New Years. This year I did start really early on cards and gifts and it was a big help. I don't do cards every year but I keep up the tradition because I enjoy receiving cards in the mail! I love to set down every evening with the day's new cards and read the news, check out the photos, and just take a few minutes to focus on out family and friends. I am thinking about going back through the cards this week and dropping a note to a few people who mentioned things that I'd like to follow up on.

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075
Happy member of the Southwest Henhouse

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

ruthie218
True Blue Farmgirl

1425 Posts

Ruthie Ann
Indiana
USA
1425 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  4:49:34 PM  Show Profile
Your list sounds good to me.We put the tree up on Thanksgiving weekend or it doesn't get up till the week of Christmas. I make home gifts,wrap and tag. Then put them in the tote marked homemade Christmas. I have 1 fleece blanket done for my new great niece born later this year. For her 1st Christmas. Im hoping in Jan. to make all my Christmas cards.
Go to Top of Page

missusprim
True Blue Farmgirl

400 Posts

Karen
Fostoria Ohio
USA
400 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  5:27:34 PM  Show Profile
I'd like to try and see if I can't buy one gift per month for each of my kids so they'll have a nice selection by Christmas. I will try to make the dollar amount as even as I can but I'm not going to go overboard with it. Just have fun in the buying of things along the way and know that I've almost done by the time Christmas comes.

To start I bought my daughter (our resident baker) a Wilton cookie spatula that was on sale. It is a nice size and has a beveled edge for easy removal. It wasn't a cheap one and I thought she deserved one that was exclusively hers. And who knows.........maybe some more cookies? :)

Also, I think I may have figured out why I have a hard time with Christmas. I truly love getting together with my extended family, but I'm finding that the older I get the more I'd like to spend Christmas day itself with just my hubby and kids at our house and do the extended family get together on another day. Am I alone in this? At what point as an adult with adult kids (and grandkids) do we designate holidays as a day for just our kids, their families and us parents?

This year seemed so hectic. From the moment our feet hit the floor we were on the go, so much so that I had so little time to really ENJOY people. KWIM?

So to just sleep in, have a leisure breakfast and open gifts and spend the day at our own pace without having to leave the house. Maybe stay in our jammies all day and play the Wii in the afternoon after watching the parades on the telly (haven't seen them since a kid).

At any rate, my hubby and kids are divided in this. Not sure what my parents will say so I may test the waters on Easter........

Fellow pen pal Pam! I like the idea of a journal and recording thoughts, etc into. It'd be a nice guide to flip through and see what I did and when the previous year and to see any added notes that'd help the upcoming year easier. I can't tell you the times I've had cute ideas but will forget them when the holidays comes around the following year......

Kris, I've already got a few crochet patterns in mind for hubby and my DD for next year. Will fine tune them and see about purchasing the yarn. My DS is a bit trickier to buy for but he is really getting into wood working (another secret true love of mine.) I'd gladly share with you my progress!

Farmgirl Sister #2984

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile
I am enjoying reading everyone's ideas. Thank you.

~In October I pick up Christmas Stamps and pick up priority mail boxes

~I purchase Christmas cards when they go on sale. I keep an eye out for the ones I really like and then when they are 50% off or more I purchase them. I have next years all set :)

~I usually try and have Christmas cards out right after Thanksgiving (this year was later :() I also need to make a list this year instead of searching through the address book :)

~I like to decorate and do not want it to be a stressful thing. My husband and I plan a picnic lunch in the mountains and get greens and pinecones. This makes it fun, together and outdoors :)

~I try and have packages ready and mailed by the 13th of December (This year I just paid online for shipping and scheduled a pick up for my postal carrier, a much needed break from carrying boxes to the post office)

~I also do as much prep cooking a few days before. This is a huge weight off of my shoulders. I can relax and enjoy company with minimal cooking to do.

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2011 :  6:10:27 PM  Show Profile
This week was definitely busy--and each year, I think I'm ahead of the game, but I seem to be further behind! I did allow myself some "outs" this year, like not baking for the neighbors. I normally bake gingerbread for all four of my neighbors, but I just didn't have time, even though I really wanted to...and it's "ok" that I didn't. Nothing is good when you resent doing it!

Unfortunately, as prepared as I was from mid November, shopping online and getting most of my gifts done, all the other stuff that goes along WITH Christmas (decorating, putting up a tree, wrapping, finishing shopping, buying and baking good food, putting together a Christmas menu, etc...) was all thrown overboard by a gravely ill dog in the hospital for a week, a broken washing machine (still broken, no cash to fix it because of gift buying), a broken car (took MAJOR positioning over the washer because it's our only car) and the death of cat took the wind out of my sails both emotionally and financially and I didn't get into the spirit until about 4 days before Christmas and then it was all a blur!

This year, I do plan on "trying" make more handmade things--like knitted hats and scarves. This winter, my goal is to knit and make some natural ornaments for my mil from things I forage outside. Lots of goals, we shall see!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  4:42:40 PM  Show Profile
Karen:
I think I'll copy your list and clip it to my 2012 calendar on the month of October. Maybe next Christmas I'll be more organized. Thanks for sharing.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

502 Posts

Pam

USA
502 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2011 :  6:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Send coaloha an AOL message
HI Karen (waves to you, my dear Pen Pal!) I really like your idea of a gift a month. That would make gift buying less stressful and allow more time to enjoy the process. I know what you mean about wanting more time to just enjoy people during the celebration. It seems that the time passes so quickly and I'd love to connect with so many people. I don't know what that answer is to making this work and it may be different for each of us. Sometimes I wish that I could just hit the pause button so that I could enjoy being with people a bit longer before the moment passes.

Pam Barnes-Palty
Phoenix, AZ
Farmgirl #1075
Happy member of the Southwest Henhouse

Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

trailfit
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Nancy
Manheim Pa
USA
1 Posts

Posted - May 16 2012 :  04:49:30 AM  Show Profile
I too like to get ready for Christmas early. This year all presents in the family are required to be made in the USA! I like to sew and this fits well. I start in March to get things made and quilted by Christmas. Less stress and more family time through the holidays.

Happy Trails to you!
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - May 25 2012 :  9:25:16 PM  Show Profile
This is just the right time for all of us to give this some thought. It is time to get moving on all our gift buying! And if you actually do it...my hat's off to you! I'll probably never change.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

rphelps4
True Blue Farmgirl

620 Posts

roxanna
westport indiana
USA
620 Posts

Posted - May 26 2012 :  06:57:53 AM  Show Profile  Send rphelps4 a Yahoo! Message
I would like to make everyone's presents this year, or part of it anyway, it makes me sad to think about people going in debt for Christmas presents, I think sometimes we forget the true meaning of the day.
Go to Top of Page

MrsTracy
True Blue Farmgirl

145 Posts

Tracy
Beaufort South Carolina
USA
145 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2012 :  2:38:08 PM  Show Profile
I have been pondering what to do for Christmas this year and came up with a few ideas. My daughter and son in law take a lot of pictures on their camera phone so they don't have anything printed out. I am going to gift them with a CD-Rom of all three boys (one for each boy). Then I'm going to print out a few special ones and frame them and the ones on CD will be set to music. I might even gift them with a digital frame. I'm also going to do one for my mother.

For the grandsons I will be buying them one of those learning computer interactive games. Reader Rabbit, etc. For our son i think it will be something simple like gift cards to his favorite stores. He's 17 next month and has pretty much everything a boy could want except a car and THAT AINT HAPPENIN'! LOL!! For the hubby I'm thinking making him a few vests for church. He loves to wear them and I really want to make one for him but I suck at sewing. Maybe I can find someone who will help me.

So, I've got my ideas now I just need to get to crackin'!

Aspiring Titus II and Proverbs 31 Lady.
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Things I'll do NEXT Christmas......... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page