Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile
I have tried to learn knitting so many times with no success. Once I even had a friend who could knit ANYTHING teach me. This lady is GOOD and I still can't do it. Then my Mom came up with an idea. I'm right handed but I do somethings left handed or with either hand. She suggested that the next time I try to learn how to knit sit across from the person so that I'm doing things left handed to their right handed.

Does this sound reasonable? Is there a difference in knitting if you are right handed or left handed? I crochet and when I do I would say I'm right handed to do it.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  11:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm...I'm the same as you, Kim, but I'm left handed and do a lot of things right handed. I knit the "continental" style and that's been really easy for me. I am a very visual person, so I have to have the thing in my hand and watch someone "do the stitch" and then try to replicate it.

My "working" needle is always in my right hand.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

mamalindalu
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Priest River Id.
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  3:20:23 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kimberly.

I have been knitting for 50 + years.
My needles have been in several places. Since knitting and perling are the two main stiches, and they are the oppsite of eachother, there isn't any reason you couldn't learn to do it right handed. Knitting is yarn and needle behind and perling is needle and yarn in front. You are holding needles in each hand, and using the yarn in the right hand is very "learnable". Don't stop trying if this is something you wish to learn! I have met several people who were left handed knitting righthanded, including men!
Good luck.

Recognize that no one is responsible for your life but you.~
Oprah Winfrey

Mamalindalu
Sister #3576
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  8:01:31 PM  Show Profile
I knit with the yarn in the right hand. I tried doing it with the left but I had a harder time with stitches/patterns turning out correctly. I watch a LOT of Youtube videos to learn stitches. Some even go in slow motion. Sometimes they are better than watching an actual person because you can repeat it and it's EXACTLY same as the time before. Don't give up!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  06:29:21 AM  Show Profile
Left handed here too but do a lot of thing right handed......I also knit continental style and carry the yarn in my left hand--so the stitches go from the left needle to the right needle as you work them but you don't have to throw the yarn over like you do with carrying the yarn in your right hand....I can so control the tension so much better this way....plus, my arms don't get so tired -- keep at it and you will succeed!

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

traildancer
True Blue Farmgirl

485 Posts

Loyce
Glide OR
USA
485 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  1:09:21 PM  Show Profile
YES, YES, YES. Sit directly across from a right-handed person and copy their motions. I have done this with two different people and it worked fabulously.

The trail is the thing.... Louis L'Amour
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page