kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:19:05 AM  Show Profile
Well, I have knit 3 hats so far. They are not perfect, especially the tops. But not bad for a first timer.

So last night I sat down to start a pretty pink hat for my 8 year old granddaughter. I used a little thicker yarn and used a size 8. I cast on the 69 stitches and had the hardest time getting it all to stay stright so I could get started. Such a hard time. Like I need 4 hands. I was so frustrated. I finally got it straight so I went ahead and started knitting and purling. Had a really hard time figuring out how to join the first stitch together too. Did about 5 rows and noticed that it was twisted. Yep, twisted. Nothing to do but take it all out. So I tried again and for the life of me could NOT get that first row straight. I just don't know how I did those other 3 hats. Why is is so hard now? Maybe it's the yarn? Or just me not having a good night. So I quit.

I will have to wait now til next week and my little get together to pin my friend down for her to help me get it started. And I have about 4 I want to make before Christmas.

Kris

Happiness is simple.

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:22:49 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes you just have to put things down, Kris--or at least I do, anyway. When knitting becomes frustrating, take a step back because, like baking, it shouldn't make you cuss. I'm always hesitant to give someone something I've made when it was so frustrating to produce--bad "juju" or something.

I'm proud of you for going off with a start and knitting up three hats already! That's awesome! My husband still wears the very first hat I ever made (dropped stitches and all). He says it's his favorite!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  10:40:34 AM  Show Profile
Sometimes, I cast on holding two needles together and then pull out the needle I don't need....it makes the cast on row easier to handle plus - gives that edge a nice stretchiness -- which depending on the hat is nice to have.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  3:20:47 PM  Show Profile
Jonni, how did you know I cussed? Was I that obvious? Yes I did. It is frustrating. And I did put it down. I crocheted some dishclothes instead. Can't go wrong with them.

Starletta, I can't seem to get what you mean. You put 2 of the needles together and cast on then take one off?

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Gypsy
True Blue Farmgirl

823 Posts

Tammy
Wolford North Dakota
USA
823 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  7:39:50 PM  Show Profile
When things like that happen I tear out and stop for the night. Otherwise it never fails that the mistakes continue and get worse. Hopefully this timey post won't have
wierd symbols from posting from my phone.

Farmgirl Sister # 2363
http://twilightburrough.blogspot.com/
Warren, MI
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  7:55:58 PM  Show Profile
That's so smart Starletta. I am doing sort of that method with separate needles. I cast on to one size larger size needle, work first row onto correct size needle and then use another correct size needle. I was wondering how to do that with circular needles. Great tip!

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  06:05:37 AM  Show Profile
@Kris, I've been there, sister! That's how I know ;)

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

star-schipp
True Blue Farmgirl

942 Posts

Starletta
Middletown Indiana
USA
942 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  06:25:31 AM  Show Profile
Kris, are you using a long-tail cast on? Casting on using a bigger needle works too just like Julie said. But, I just hold the two needles and cables together and cast on loosely and then just snake the extra needle/cable out - having everything looser keeps it easier to both see when you are getting twisted and to straighten it out -- at least it does for me.

If you can't feed one hundred people, then just feed one. -Mother Teresa

Star - farmgirl sister #1927

Master Food Preserver
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  5:25:51 PM  Show Profile
I tried again today at the skating rink of all places. I got it going. I am using a size 11 and it's 16" long. I still need to be all by myself to actually get it to be knit 3 and purl 1. But it is looking good so far.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

rough start farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3331 Posts

marianne
The Beautiful Pacific NW Washington State
USA
3331 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  06:01:05 AM  Show Profile
starletta, love that hint. Thanks!
kris, just hang in there!

marianne

Edited by - rough start farmgirl on Dec 18 2011 06:01:36 AM
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2011 :  06:02:11 AM  Show Profile
Hey Kris,

I teach knitting classes in my town. One thing I tell my students is to never knit when you are tired. If you get frustrated, put it down. Sounds like that was happening with you. Knitting should be fun, and if you feel pressured to get something knit by a deadline, it can zap the fun right out of it. Hope you have a better time this time around. Wish we lived closer, I'd help you!

Big hugs,

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  1:57:41 PM  Show Profile
Kris, please give us an update...are you finished with the hat?

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

"It takes courage to grow up and turn out to be who you really are." EE Cummings

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2011 :  8:23:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I did just finish it last night. I have got to figure out the ending part. And why does it look prettier on the inside than the outside? All the ribbing is on the inside? Are all patterns this way? I want to turn them inside out but the bottom wants to curl up. Anyway, it looks good enough for an 8 year old.

I found another pattern I want to make for my daughter that's more a looser hat. I will have to have help with this one. Lots of intricate parts. I will for sure have to have total quiet to do this one. And lots of markers I think.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4178 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4178 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  04:38:27 AM  Show Profile
Kris there are a million patterns out there, keep looking for one that works for you! Sounds like you are doing great, for just learning! keep up the good work
Michele
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 24 2011 :  06:32:49 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Michele. It's the pattern where you knit 3 and purl 1. Then go 9" and start decreasing doing 2 knits all the way across then purl a row. That is so hard to do, the 2 knits with there being a purl in there. Then I go to 3 double pointed needles. What fun! Then get to 9 then pull all together and that's that. SHould be so simple.

The lady at this fabric-yarn store where I took my first lesson, made her husband a hat and it was perfect. Even the top looked so pretty. All tight and together. You can see the sky through mine. One day they will be like hers. I think the yarn has alot to do with how they look in the end as far as uniformity and all. But I will get there, I know I will.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Knitting woes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page