princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  11:25:41 AM  Show Profile
With 5 kids, pets, family, and a husband working very loooong hours.....I am feeling very overwhelmed with trying to get everything done for Christmas.

We live a very simple life and do not have to "shop" for alot of gifts and such, but it seems like my daily list is never-ending. I have days where I just want to walk away from all of it and cancel Christmas.

With baking, cleaning, wrapping and Christmas programs.....there is no time to just sit back. Let alone I 'm still trying to work 2 days per week. Yikes....

Please tell me I'm not the only one.

Arttie

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:00:18 PM  Show Profile
I feel the same way! I have a very limited income and a big family. We bake and make candy endlessly through december. I am always cleanin, wrappin food for the freezer, doin dishes, and then it all has to be gotten out 2 days before the parties so it can thaw and be wrapped for givin. I just don't have enough time for it all.

I decided to skimp on the candy this year and just do the cookies and banana bread. I also intentionally 'overcooked' for thanksgiving, leavin me about 6 meals in the freezer for thawin this month. I also put up chili and spaghetti several times last month so those meals are there as well. I think I will thaw some turkey noodles and dressing for dinner tonight!

The mountain of laundry and dishes from the weekend that didn't get done need attention today. I wonder what a maid would cost?!?!?

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:01:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean Arttie! I don't shop a lot either and we will actually be having a rather quiet Christmas. I think that, just with getting all my Christmas mail . . which I love to do . . . finished and in the mailbox today helps!!!

I AM looking forward to baking this week! The last two Christmases we traveled to Arizona for the holiday and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad to NOT be doing that this year. That helps a bunch!!!! So, THIS year is an easier year and I'm grateful beyond words. BUT I certainly understand because I've been there.
Hang in there!!! One task, one day at a time!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:14:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm hearing you, Aartie--I have a toddler, work full time, 4 dogs and a cat, and husband who puts in about 60 hours a week. In addition to the stress of the holiday season, at the beginning of the month, my favorite dog, Finn, became gravely ill, the car's axle broke off and the washing machine stopped working--all in a span of about 48 hours. When the car broke down, I looked up at the sky and said, "I'm just one little person, God."

But, I'm trying to get into the holiday spirit without making us broke--despite the prior references, we are better off financially than we've been in some years, but I'm still worried about the cost of gifts and getting everyone something wonderful. It's just "who" I am.

We are getting our tree this evening, and I'm making a cheeseball (which we'll have for dinner :)) and tomorrow, my mom, husband, wee girl and I are taking in the zoo's Festival of Lights on the cheap (free tickets from his boss) so I'm attempting to get into the holiday spirit and not worry about that other stuff. The gifts will get wrapped for family, the cards will get sent, I may or may NOT bake this year for neighbors (noone really does anything like that EXCEPT me in our neighborhood) and it's just one added thing to my already never ending list that I keep making over and over so I don't forget anything.

At least Santa doesn't have to wrap in our house, so that's a boon!!!!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  4:25:27 PM  Show Profile
it can be so overwhelming (says she who has yet to start baking and has 2 complete ppl to shop for,,all her wrapping to do and and and)..we have had our days filled with dr appts and commodities pick ups and "stuff"...my deadline is the 23rd when we get in the car to drive to ohio....if it isn't done-oh well...
the house has to be moderately clean so a friend from church can come in to check on pur birds and cat...

i had really wanted to be back in ohio for good by now so i could go to Christmas programs for my grands, etc...i miss them so much!

take deep breaths, make lists if it helps, spend some "me" time...and remember that dust is a protective covering for the furniture!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~

Edited by - Penny Wise on Dec 13 2011 4:27:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  05:24:39 AM  Show Profile
Arttie, I have 6 kids (one step-dd that lives with her grandparents), and it's overwhelming every year. Each year I teach the kids how to help - string the lights, bake, put outside lights up, put up the tree etc. Each year it gets easier and less stressful.

Make time for yourself, even if it's only 15 minutes. My house is a mess every day and I just do what I can and learn that once a day is gone, it's gone.

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

Kim L.
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Kimberly
Knoxville TN
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Dec 14 2011 :  08:31:22 AM  Show Profile
Arrtie, I seem to always feel that way at Christmas time. There is always soemthing that needs bought, baked, wrapped, mailed.... I now try and delegate some of those responsibilites to the kids and the DH. My 11 year old is a great dishwasher! And I do try and take a few minutes of time for myself everyday and read, check up here on the forum, take a walk around the farm... It lets me refocus and realize that if something gets forgotten its ok. Last year I forgot to mail out the nieces and nephews Christmas cards -- they were stuck in between my truck seats for about a month before I found them. Everyone got a laugh out of it and my niece thanked me for extending Christmas for her:) I hope things get better. Farmgirl ~hugs~

~Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.~
Mother Teresa

Go to Top of Page

princesspatches
True Blue Farmgirl

431 Posts

arttie
iron mountain michigan
USA
431 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  04:00:53 AM  Show Profile
Thank God I;m not the only one. I thought my OCD was getting the best of me. My kids don't help much. The grumbling just irrates me so I don't force them to anything with Christmas. I figure if they want to be 'scrooges' that is their problem. I am going to try and nail the last of the shopping on Saturday and then I will feel better.

Thanks for all the support. 10 more DAYS!!!!!
Arttie
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  09:19:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh Arttie, I think you actually belong to a large group of overwhelmed by the holidays people! I'm trying to cook, clean, decorate, get packages in the mail etc! I have a bad cold and am having a hard time getting into the Christmas Spirit. But truly, I've come to the conclusion that sometimes you just have to throw up your hands, take off your worries for a few minutes, sit down and have an eggnog

Holiday cheer & good wishes!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Is anyone else overwhelmed? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page