Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 What is Unique at Your State Fair?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is Unique at Your State Fair? Next Topic  

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile
This question popped into my head when I read about the Texas State Fair. What would the Texas fair have that our Illinois State Fair would not? I know that our fair has a woman who sculpts out of butter (onsite in a cooled glass room) . . . but that's not unique, because Wisconsin and Iowa have butter sculptors as well. Wisconsin is known for their cream puffs -- they have a morning drive-through for picking up creampuffs at the fair, I've heard.

What do you just love about your fair? What might be unique or nearly so about it?

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  12:23:57 PM  Show Profile

Hey Farm Girls!!

There are many aspects of the Texas State Fair that are unique to Texas. I will add one comment and let the other Tex Farm Girls contribute others...

I mentioned Big Tex earlier. I love Big Tex!. If you go to google/images and search under Big Tex; you will see "my guy."
In some of the photos, you will see a white tower behind him; I had my office in that building and could visit him often!!! Be certain to read about his stats also; things really are bigger in the great state of Texas!!!!

Connie

Texas Farm Girl

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

santa_gertrudis_gal
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Kim
Groesbeck Texas
USA
198 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  1:02:11 PM  Show Profile  Send santa_gertrudis_gal a Yahoo! Message
Wooo Hooo Connie you are so right! BIG TEX

I've also been to the New York State Fair and I love their Fair Grounds. They make our State Fair Grounds look ugly! And I bet like New York State Fair you have a Horse Pull in Illinois which we do not have. We aren't know for our draft horses in this state. Too hot for them.

Here's the main link to our Texas State Fair the Link to what separates us from other state fairs.

http://www.bigtex.com/#

http://www.bigtex.com/sponsors/whatmakesusunique/

Happy reading!

Kim

Heaven is a day at the ranch with my Santa Gertrudis!
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  9:21:34 PM  Show Profile
I was raised in IL and have to been the IL State Fair more times than I can count. The butter cow was always high on the list of things to see -- my grandma would always take me. The IL State Fair doesn't have Big Tex but it has a huge statue of Abraham Lincoln!!! And grounds are beautiful -- at least they were in 1988 which was the last time I was there.

I looked up the Texas State Fair on the web today and I want to go to see Big Tex! Which old movie is it that has the people going to the state fair and Tex is in it? I know there's one with Pat Boone called State Fair -- is that it?

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Aug 22 2006 9:22:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

sugarsfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Leah
Woodward Iowa
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  11:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Send sugarsfarm an AOL message
I went to our state fair, the Iowa State Fair, this weekend ( i always have to go!!) but i have never been to any other state fairs. We have the Iowa porkchop on a stick( is that unique??)....well actually you can get anything on a stick!! fried twinkies...fried reeses....BIG turkey legs!!

Kay- Well there were 2 movies, State Fair, one at the Iowa State Fair and the other at the Texas State Fair. The Iowa state fair is the older of the 2. The Texas one has Anne Margaret in it along with Pat Boone. These movies come as a set in the stores...they are really great!!

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  8:28:34 PM  Show Profile
Oh, I just LOVE our Minnesota State Fair! My first thought was the butter sculptures, but then I read this post and realized that that's maybe not so unique. Unless...do the other state fairs sculpt Princess Kay of the Milky Way and all of her court? Well, we sure do here! The cute little princesses who practice and compete for who-knows-how-long to be Fair Royalty all have their likenesses preserved in butter. Kinda cool and gross all at once!

We have the Twinkies too and while I maintain that they're totally disgusting, my husband is vowing to try one this year. Ew!

Speaking of my husband, he's telling me now that I have to tell you all that we also have the World's Largest Boot. It's an official Red Wing Boot straight from Red Wing, Minnesota! I haven't seen it, but apparently he's taking me to it on Friday...

We also have the mini-donuts, of course. We allow ourselves to get them just once a year and while we do see them at other art fairs and events around the Cities each summer, we hold out for the Fair. And we can't get them at just any old mini-donut stand at the Fair...they HAVE to come from the one outside the Grandstand. Why? I have no idea. That's just how we've done it ever since I was a little girl.

My husband and I had our first date at the Fair (but didn't know it was a date at the time...one of those!) and he bought me donuts from that booth without knowing the rule. My Dad approved! (My Dad met my future-husband-who-didn't-know-he-was-on-a-date-with-his-daughter AND who-didn't-know-he-was-going-to-meet-the-parents-that-day by reaching in and grabbing some of Dan's mini-donuts before even being introduced...you gotta know my Dad!)

Ooh! I love, love, love the Fair and can't wait to go!!!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  9:40:36 PM  Show Profile
Oh My Gosh -- butterfly pork chop sandwich, lemonade shake-up, and kettle corn!!! That's the best IL fair food. The one with Pat Boone is the one I was thinking of. I'm going to have to go rent it this weekend.

Handmade purses, home decor, and bath delights at www.rusticcottagecreations.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2006 :  10:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Hahahaha, Katie! I had my picture taken with IL's "butter cow" on Sunday! My best friend & I used to go to see it every year-sort of a private joke... She is living in Virginia Beach this year, so I did a pouty "missing you" pose in front of the cow to mail to her! :)
Rhonda

...and I will sing at the top of my lungs, and I will dance, even if I'm the only one!
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic What is Unique at Your State Fair? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page