sweetmilkmaid
Farmgirl at Heart

3 Posts

Theresa
Ky Yesterday's Farm
USA
3 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  07:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Hello y'all this is a update on our goats and sheep,and also a look at our Appalachian culture for Christmas. Hope y'all enjoy... http://yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com/yesterdays-farm-blog.html

Come and visit Kentucky's Yesterday's Farm and I have a blog there too. At www.yesterdaysfarm.weebly.com

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  07:54:28 AM  Show Profile
So enjoyed this, it's a beauitful area.
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  08:50:25 AM  Show Profile
What a beautiful story. And that goat is so pretty. I also believe the animals bow and praise God. I am usually awake at midnight on Christmas eve so I may be out there joining them in the barn. Thanks for sharing your wonderful life with us. I love to check in and see what's happening in Kentucky. How many sheep and goats do y'all have? I have 5 ewes now and a ram. He is busy today with one of the ewes. I can hardly wait for Spring!

Kris

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  12:38:03 PM  Show Profile
That is a wonderful story and I believe it must happen too. My little Hobbs used to wait to eat his food until after we said a blessing over it and thanked Jesus for providing for us. Did I train him to do this? Nope. I think he saw us do that with our meals and decided that he needed to thank Jesus too. During his last days when he was not feeling well, I would put him on the bed and read some Psalms to him and he would quiet down. Do they believe? I think the answer to that is most assuredly YES!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  1:15:12 PM  Show Profile
I watched a documentary called "dogs decoded" and it talked about how dogs differ from wolves even though on a genetic level they are the same animal.
At a certain age wolf cubs just don't care to relate to people anymore like puppies continue to do. Dogs are also unique in reading humans-- they can read emotions in our faces, and read our cues like no other creature does. Point at a bowl with a treat hidden under it and the dog will check that bowl. Not even chimps can read that cue.
To me it seems like at some point God just took some wolves aside, and charged them with a special task of taking care of his humans and dogs have lived for man ever since.

I've always believed animals have a much closer connection to their creator. They don't let human tendencies like doubt and pride get in the way.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile
"God just took some wolves aside, and charged them with a special task of taking care of his humans and dogs have lived for man ever since."

Jen, I love the way you phrased that! They do take care of us don't they?

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  06:56:22 AM  Show Profile
Really enjoyed your blog. Its nice to see what other people do at their farms. Thanks so much for sharing.Its a wonderful website.

Theresa I was wondering why you go down to 7 percent protein for the winter with your goats? I also have goats (nubians). I was staying around 14 percent is that to high?. I am always looking to learn why other goat owners feed the way they do and how it works for them. I am always looking to improve on their care.Thanks.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats

Edited by - wooliespinner on Dec 15 2011 07:11:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:30:01 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I go down to 10% when they are dried up. I have just always done that myself. I just figure why give them the good stuff when they are dry? They still get good hay and plenty of grain. I just didn't think they needed the extra protein while dry. About a month before they kid I start upping the protein til they are back to 16% at freshening. It works for me and mine.

And I just love her blog too. I really love the how to videos they make.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:31:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Teresa - what a beautiful site! I love the music, I love your beagle and the story of the fox hunters... and I especially love the story about the animals at midnight on Christmas Eve... I was taken back in memory to my aunt's and uncle's farm when I was growing up. Such special memories. Thank you SO much for sharing. What a delightful way to begin the day! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

wooliespinner
True Blue Farmgirl

1311 Posts

Linda
Manchester Ohio
1311 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  08:45:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks kristin. I knew you should up it when milking but was never sure when they were dry. I think I may cut way back on the dairy pellets and mostly have the grain. I was just wondering what Theresa was doing it for. I am curious how everyones animals do on the lower protein.

Linda

Raspberry Run Farm
Nubian Dairy Goats
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Appalachian Christmas Ways Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page