medievalcat
True Blue Farmgirl

256 Posts

Cynthia
White County Arkansas
USA
256 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  8:22:04 PM  Show Profile
I have fallen in love with Father Andrew M. Greeley books especially the Blackie Ryan series.
Even though the books are written by a priest they will have you laughing. The Blackie Ryan stories are Mysteries. But he also writes beautiful love stories that I will be reading next.

It does preach a little in a Catholic way but it's very refreshing. At times his main character, Blackie Ryan, calls God by "She". He then explains he does this because if we only see God as He then our ability to relate to God will be limited. Because aren't the mothers usually the parent we go to when we skinned our knees?
He is also rather critical in the way the Catholic Church has handled past problems.
Living as a Catholic for many years I applaud this writer. And oh.. he does occasional say the F word..and his characters have very real emotions and he talks sex. I get a little uncomfortable when he goes there in his books but it's really awesome he is comfortable writing about it.
If Father Andrew preached close to my home I would have no problem rejoining the Catholic Church. But as he often says, "it only takes one bad priest to ruin it for everyone."

I hope you give the books a try.

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  08:35:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm a fan of Father Greeley's books, too. Some have been a little too "cute" for me, as he writes women as some etherial creatures who are part fairy and part tigress, but I chalk that up to him being a priest who has never had to live with one of us and actually figure us out (as if that can be done!) He writes critically of the church, but he's one who has seen all the best and worst is can be.

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Andrew M. Greeley Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page