kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  5:05:58 PM  Show Profile
This year I am just decorating my house inside and out with natural things. Like lots of greenery and red berries and cedar branches. I was at my little feed store yesterday and they had some cedar branches in little metal buckets with red bows. I love that. I have an old metal bucket. So tonight when I got home, I went out and cut a small cedar tree and stuck it in the bucket with some rocks for support. I put it on the window seat in my dining room and put white light on it. I will put red berries on it and some red bows. I think that will be our little Christmas tree this year.

I will put the berries and greenery all over the house too. And my 2 front windows are real deep outside so I will do the same with them. And I will leave this up through Feb. It's so pretty. And brightens up the dreary cold winter so much.

I would love to hear what y'all use from nature to decorate your homes. And some pictures would be great too!

Kris

Happiness is simple.

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  7:06:24 PM  Show Profile
Kris,Your tree sounds adorable! I must admit that I often leave the evergreens and lights up through February to combat the dreariness.

I've been slowed down with a bad arthritis flare up and am behind on my Christmas gifts and decorations. But I've gone out for my exercise and walked around the treed field next to my house and around the evergreens in my yard and picked up a huge number of beautiful evergreen cones! So that is going to be a lot of my decor this year. Garlands of pine cones and green gingham bows. I took apart an old wicker shelf and am using the 1x1 frame pieces of the old shelves to make square shaped wreathes. A big one on the end of the house facing the drive and a smaller one on the door. I have a stunning ponderosa pine that I'm going to trim some branches from and lots of various other evergreens to use all over the place! I'll be using the littler cones to trim packages with and make up little fragrant herb and pine fire starter bundles to give to friends with wood stove and fire places. I'm making more cinnamon and applesauce ornaments to hang around the house and drying apple slices and orange slices to decorate with as well. Nature's bounty is so beautiful all year long, but I dolove the evergreens especially and am thankful for their beauty and scent that the give to the holidays!

So drink a little eggnog, put on some music, bake some cookies and deck the halls!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2011 :  7:19:34 PM  Show Profile
I don't have any Christmas-y stuff up yet, really, but last year I saw these twig stars (from here: http://chickensintheroad.com/house/crafts/making-twig-stars/) & tried making them...apparently the only "good" twigs are out in the bush & last year, they were buried under 5 feet of snow by this time! One tip is to make the twigs longer than you think necessary. The bigger/longer they are, the better they'll look in the end! I did make them out of smaller twigs, but the effect was lost since they ended up being so tiny.

I would love to be able to decorate more with nature...but the only green things up here are the Christmas trees in the bush! I haven't seen anything red (I'm thinking like Mountain Ash berries or "bird berries" - no idea what they're actually called, I just call them "bird berries lol). I do wish we had more colors. I guess that's why everyone has colored lights for Christmas lol.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

GratefulGreens
Farmgirl in Training

35 Posts

Mandi
Lebanon TN
USA
35 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  05:14:37 AM  Show Profile
I had my husband save all of the trimmings off of our tree so I can make a wreath for the door. Hoping to work on that today....we'll see if my kids let me! HA!

Miss Mandi, #3643
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  10:52:22 AM  Show Profile
I found the best Christmas music station on my Dish. It's old, like Bing Crosby and Andy Williams. Big Band typw music. I had found some on Pandora but this is in the living room. So I have that going and it's almost cold outside. I washed all the front windows, inside and out, so they are all clean and shiny. Then put magnolia branches and holly berries in the 2 front windows with white lights and boxwood and nandina berries in the side dining room window. I can't wait til it's dark now.

I also put red berries and greenery all over the house in little vases and big vases. So beautiful and simple. I also went out back and cut the top out of a cedar tree and put it in the big flower pot on the front porch with a pretty Christmasy ribbon on top. That is all I will do with that. I put nandina berries in the bottom of the metal bucket with the other tree in the dining room. I am loving this!

Annika, your square wreaths sound so pretty. Good idea. And I hope you are feeling better.

Pam, I love CITR blog. She is one of my favorite blogs. Did you know she's moved to the perfect 100 acre farm last month? I love her place and she is in love with it and seems so happy now. I made some of those twig stars too. So neat.

Hi Mandi. Don't you love the smell when you cut the branches? Such a great Christmas smell.

Thanks for sharing, y'all. And have a great weekend! I am having so much fun. But had to take a break and drink some coffee. I am going out back when I am done and look for some pinecones to put in my white milk glass bowl for the table next.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  2:58:53 PM  Show Profile
Last year I went to a centerpiece class at our local arboretum where we made GORGEOUS Christmas Centerpieces from all things collected in nature (various pine tree trimmings,pinecones,holly,red berries etc) It was simply beautiful!- I came home and went "hunting" outside and made about 4 more centerpieces and gave them to my neighbors. They were thrilled with them and even returned the baskets I used in hopes that they would get another one this year. This weekend I plan on making them up for them again. It is fun and easy to do- I even place the tall taper candle in the center and VOILA- an instant homemade gift from nature.

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  3:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Kris, I'm so jealous! I don't have any evergreens on my property (it's just a postage stamp yard) and don't have any friends I could ask either. I'm going to try to twig stars. Got lot's of twigs at least.
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  05:17:43 AM  Show Profile
We do have evergreens on our property. We use branches to decorate and bring in that wonderful pine aroma. Mmmmmm!

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/

From my hands: http://pioneerpatchworkhomespun.blogspot.com/

From my Camera: http://www.flickr.com/photos/pioneerwomanatheart/
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:37:41 PM  Show Profile
Amie, I have one Nandina bush out front but appaerntly the birds got what red berries there were on it. So I got most of my berries and boxwood and magnolia from my friend's yard. I got pinecones and pine branches from out back of my place. I'm sure if you ask real nice, someone would let you get some of their nature.

Laurie, your centerpieces so lovely. I need to make one now for my table. I have 7 really old crystal candle holders on the table but it needs something else.

Kristina, I love the smell of fresh pine. Makes Christmas better.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  12:43:15 PM  Show Profile
We always trim out our Christmas tree from underneath and I take some of those and put them into a big cast iron kettle on the porch with cinnamon pine cones and ribbons. Also, my office is surrounded by tons of holly trees and bushes, so I "borrow" a little for the season.

Lots of parks have pine cones just lying about for the taking--the park near my mom's has so many different types of connifers, I try to pick up as many as I can when we take Violet for walks.

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Dec 13 2011 :  1:22:19 PM  Show Profile
My husband used to work in a large office park that backs up to the Erie Canal towpath. Last year, I waded out into the back lots there to gather wild rose hips and some evergreen trimmings. But now that he's out of work on disability (and dealing with lots of ugliness from the employer insurance company) I don't feel comfortable doing that.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  05:19:10 AM  Show Profile
Yesterday my daughter (11yrs old) and I started to make a few centerpieces. They turned out so nice and we are excited to make more. Here is the one I have on my coffee table...
I love making these- its so simple and its FREE!!!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:11:31 AM  Show Profile
Laurie, that's so pretty. I'll have to get my grands to help me make one for my dining room table while they are here this weekend. It sure does look pretty on your table. And you're right, it's free. That makes it so much better.

While we were walking this morning I was looking for little cedar trees. I saw a bunch. I'm going to go get one for the kids to put upstairs and decorate. I might get 2, one for each window.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  07:42:05 AM  Show Profile
How lovely all your ideas sound! I would love to see more pictures! Laurie - that centerpiece is stunning! Beautiful job! Kudos to you and your daughter!!! - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris and Nini!
We have been making these for a couple of years now and really enjoy it. You get to work with nature and it helps to really put you in the Christmas spirit. Not to mention it makes a great Merry Christmas gift for our neighbors etc when we go knock on their door with them .
Went to Michaels this morning to get some more "picks" to fill in the greenery and then went clipping away out in nature again. I actually carry my hand clippers in the car with me so that I can stop on the roadside and clip clip when I see interesting greenery! People probably think I'm nuts! ha ha
Merry Christmas!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  12:34:54 PM  Show Profile
That really is pretty! Maybe when Violet is older...she can't seem to leave things alone right now :) I did take some holly home from the office yesterday (yard man did a bunch of trimming) and I plan on going into the woods to gather some cedar on the weekend. Right now it's much too muddy back there.

I really enjoy decorating naturally--there is an old house from the 1820's in Madison, Indiana that is always decorated with dried orange slices on a cedar tree, pinecones, pine boughs and hedgeapples. So pretty, so fresh, so simple and perfect in that gorgeous Georgian setting.

Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  3:11:09 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jonni-
Speaking of dried oranges...does anyone know exactly "how" (what temperature/time etc) to bake them at in order to "dry" them and be able to make a garland out of them? I would love to have these hanging around the house. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!
Kris- this is a great thread- so many nice ideas etc!
Merry Christmas all!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  4:20:28 PM  Show Profile
Laurie, if you go to www.chickensintheroad.com, and search for dried oranges, she has some good tips and craft ideas. I love her blog. I know last year she had alot of things to do with drying fruits and making natural ornaments. So check it out. If you can't find it, I think all you do is slice the oranges thin and maybe sprinkle some cinnamon on and put them in the dehydrator til firm. Or in a low oven for several hours. I have a dehydrator and it's so easy to do. I think I will do some tonight.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 15 2011 :  6:28:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Kris-
I'm going to go check it out in just a little while. SO many things to do, so little time...lol. I am excited for Christmas to come- I am basically ready- done shopping, still have wrapping to do, but wish there was more time for all of this fun stuff/ Hopefully this weekend we can enjoy the little things like this- after all- thats really what its all about!
Good Luck with your oranges and all of your decorating!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  05:53:11 AM  Show Profile
Ok, so I went ahead and dried 4 trays of apples and oranges last night and they are done this morning. I have some cinnamon and cloves EO so I put a few drops on each piece. I think I am going to use some raffia and make a bunch of little garlands for some gifts for the Bible study ladies. We are having a lunch next Tuesday. I think they will like them. I'll put a cinnamon stick on each one too. I'll have to get more apples and oranges and do another tray probably. But I can get them at Aldi's real cheap. Love that store.

I still am not done with shopping. Waiting on some money to fall from the sky. Time sure has flown way too fast here. Gotta get busy!

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2011 :  06:04:02 AM  Show Profile
Love Aldi's, too, Kris--that's where all my baking supplies come from. How CAN you beat their nut prices????

I think the ladies would love the drie orange garlands, Kris--what a very thoughtul gift. And, something they can keep out through the winter season long.

I, too, am waiting for money to fall from the sky :) Still some shopping to do, but I'm taking the whole week off this coming Monday, so I will do it then--but mostly, I'm decorating, wrapping, visiting Santa and doing holiday trains and things of that sort with the wee girl. She's VERY excited!

Go to Top of Page

Calicogirl
True Blue Farmgirl

5216 Posts

Sharon
Bruce Crossing Michigan
USA
5216 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  07:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE decorating with nature, it has such a beautiful natural feel.
We usually make a trip to the mountains and get some greens and pine cones but were not able to this year. However a neighbor has a Blue Spruce tree and asked if Michael could trim it for him :) Score! It didn't take me long with the clippers to start clipping away and placing greens everywhere :)I did have some pine cones left from last year so I put some 'snowlike' glitter on them and placed them on our wreath and through out the house with the greens.

Kris, your garland sound great! I am sure that the ladies will love them. I have made ornaments out of the dried orange slices too. I glue a bay leaf on the front and then add a star anise or cinnamon stick, tie with raffia, I often use these with craft paper for wrapping and with jute.

Laurie, the centerpiece is beautiful! You and your daughter did a wonderful job!

Jonni, I would so love access to holly! One of my favorites :)
The only berries we have out here (that aren't questionable) is Juniper or Cedar berries , they are pretty but I do like red berries better and the deer ate all of my rosehips!

Oh and Chickens in the Road is one of my favorite places to visit too :)

~Sharon

By His Grace, For His Glory

http://merryheartjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2011 :  9:23:58 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
That is just beautiful Laurie!!!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  06:34:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks friends, for the compliments on the centerpiece. My DD and I will be making several more today. Also bought some oranges to dry today so that we can make garland with them- have never done it before but going to give it a whirl! And speaking of decorating and nature- I will try and get a picture today of the wreaths hanging on my chicken coop doors. Couldnt leave them out of the festivities either!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13618 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13618 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  7:03:39 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Some of you may have read about the Colorado Blue Spruce tree that we call our "miracle tree" because of the fire it survived in 1994 and how it's grown since then. At almost 30 feet tall the tippy-top was just a bit too close to the power lines. While it is not directly under the line it was deemed necessary to prune the leader off the top. We asked the tree company guys to be GENTLE, CAREFUL and THOUGHTFUL . . they were but it still made me cry.
Anyway, I asked them for what they trimmed off and this is the little outdoor tree I made with it out on our deck. The cut end just fit in the hole on our metal patio table, I strung on some mini-lights and tied a bow on it. So we have our little tree which WAS the very top of our BIG, BEAUTIFUL Blue Spruce at the end of our drive. And it doesn't look bad . . most people won't even notice that the leader top has been pruned.
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
2010 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

laurentany
True Blue Farmgirl

3259 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
3259 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2011 :  8:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Oh Cj How adoralble is that- and what a great idea! Now you have double the plesure from your miracle tree!
Enjoy your new tabletop version- it is really cute!
Merry Christmas!!!!

~Laurie
Farmgirl Sister#1403

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Holidays: Previous Topic Decorating with nature Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page