Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  10:04:39 AM  Show Profile
Well it started out slow, but then out came the workers with carts full of new stuff, so I got some good things today. The painting in picture two is my favorite, been looking for that for a long time.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

mickib
True Blue Farmgirl

267 Posts

Michele
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Nice haul, Nancy. I love the Fannie Farmer cookbook. It is my go-to basic cookbook.
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  11:09:36 AM  Show Profile
Wow! Very nice! I so wish we had a thrift store like that around here. You always get the nicest things.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  6:24:02 PM  Show Profile
I have a couple fave thrift stores around here, I'd probably find more if I gave myself the chance to look. Maybe someday I'll start a "treasure pickin" Etsy store too.
This week I got my hubby to stop in with me to "Indian School Thrift"-- It's a generic charity donation thrift on Indian School Road in Phoenix. It deals in enormous volume. Prices are low because things have got to go, and they don't "high grade" it like so many Goodwill stores, so the really nice stuff is mixed in with the junk and for one it's more likely you'll find treasures on any given day, and for another the "prissy" people don't go there and make everything more expensive.
I found a beautiful indian vase for my sister's Christmas stash (that I picked because it looked vaguely sweedish to me)and hubby found some mint cond. bagged Dragonlance comics. They're totally resalable, but we have a special affinity for Dragonlance so we're ok with keeping them if they don't move quickly. I've even got a great craft idea if he'll let me cut them up-- I'd like to use the artwork to make a huge decoupage collage and frame it.
I left behind a small hat box that was papered over with sheet music from a hymnal for 75 cents. I'm not too keen on acquiring stuff just 'cause.

That is such a beautiful picture! (and I think I say every time I comment on your finds, that you have such a lovely home!)

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

Edited by - Dusky Beauty on Dec 08 2011 6:28:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  08:25:54 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Jen. Now I'm pretty sure I would have bought that hat box that you left behind. HA.
N

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  2:13:22 PM  Show Profile
Leaving it behind helped me prove to myself I'm not a hoarder at least! LOL

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  5:15:06 PM  Show Profile
Your thrift store has to be the best one in the nation.......amazing what they have for you to find. Ours here smells like mold, and most stuff I would not take home. You have done well my friend!

Farmgirl Sister # 31

www.blueskyjeannie.blogspot.com

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  06:28:48 AM  Show Profile
As usual, Nancy, I so wish I could go junkin' with you! Great finds. I love the idea of the candy canes in the crystal vase. I may copy it, sorta, with some sterling silver tea plates I have, with a paper doily on it, topped with peppermints. Thanks for the idea!

from the hearts of paradise...
1Thess. 4:11
http://thefarmwife.com
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2011 :  1:04:26 PM  Show Profile
I need to get some nice vintage plates to take pics of jewelry for Etsy... See? I have a reason to thrift. <_< >_>

Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Great Thrift Day. Oh Boy. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page