StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile
I'm home today enjoying a vacation day and keep peeking outside to see if the chickens have come out yet. It is 22 degrees and breezy this morning and have not yet seen them emerge from their coop. I had to go check to make sure I had remembered to open the door!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile
yes those first cold days keep them in longer. they will come out later today i bet. we have gotten doen to 9 at night very cold for me. today its 15 degrees. my girls are used to it now this is their second year here. now they come out even if its cold. they only stay in when the snow is deep. i would guess batz would ask you if you are feeding them oatmeal and such to warm them up? we feed warm bean soup. i cook it for the pigs so the chickens get some too. stay warm sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  08:01:32 AM  Show Profile
It is -21 this morning and Yes it is going to get even coolder tonight. My hens and I are not even entertaining them coming out and for us it is a matter of survival. I checked on the animals every three hours thru the night because this type of cold can kill animals and humans. When we are in the 20's the hens decide if they wish to come out and yes feeding rountines are changed during this time of year. We all have our ways and great to hear from others. I do oatmeal, raise sprouts, give yogurt and warm water thru out - heat lamp in the coop and check for eggs regular because they will freeze.
Good luck and keep warm

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  08:43:34 AM  Show Profile
Sherry you are a funny girl..xoxo.....yeap mine too, if its too cold don't like the biting winds & will stay in, plus they hate climbing over the snow...they see that white stuff on the ground they refuse to come out but then who can blame them? I keep thinking of making little leg warmers for mine...lol...yes I am serious but then I worry they would get wet & then even be more cold...just an endless cycle of madness here when it comes to the 'kids'

We are having unusually warm weather now...its nippy but not bone chilling cold so my kids are out pretty much every day but that will change soon I am sure. I still have the heat lamps on in the coops at night as it gets super cold once the sun goes down.

i have yet to start them on the warm oatmeal mix but do give them a bit of cracked corn when they first come out to get them warmed up.

Grace i have decided this year to do the oriental bean sprouts, just ordered them thur my C0-op so I can add that to their diet this winter....plus we will eat them as well....I have always hated that in the winter they can't get as much greens so like you I think this will be good for them as their daily treats....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  09:33:24 AM  Show Profile
If only I were home when the chickens got up so I could feed them a warm breakfast...unfortunately most days we are up at 4:00 and out the door on our way to work by 5:45. They sometimes rustle about in their roosting area when I open the door for them in the morning, but they don't rise until a little later.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  3:19:56 PM  Show Profile
Paula. if you don't have time to cook oatmeal do what I do when I am in a hurry/ sick or just plain forget...use hot tap water on dry oatmeal....I stir it up really well & then take it out to them when its cooled a bit......only takes a few minutes & they will love you for it....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Too cold for chickens Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page