Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 Late 19th and Early to Mid 20th Century Books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic Late 19th and Early to Mid 20th Century Books Next Topic  

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  4:34:14 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisters,
I have been reading books I find at antique stores that have been written in the late 1800's and early to mid-1900's. They are so fascinating, and works of wisdom are still applicable in today's world. Many are descriptive writing of a place they lived or visited and document the wild life and environment. Other's journal experiences. Some written by "women with some prominence of the day" offer advice and encouragement to others with a "wise woman archtype" influence. Some of the books I have read that are rich with knowledge and sound opinion are "Cheerful To-Days and Trustful To-morrows by Maragaret E. Sangster, Eaton and Mains, 1899; A Watcher in the Woods by Dallas Lore Sharp, The Century Company, 1911; Parables from Nature by Mrs. Gatty (Margaret Scott born in 1809) E.P Dutton & Co. 1907 and Carry On by Conningsby Dawson, John Lane Co. 1917; The White Indian Boy: The Story of Uncle Nick Among the Shoshones by Wilson and Driggs, World Book Co. 1925; Other naturalist books journaling a stay at various cabins and countryside locations were written by exceptional "ordinary" people who were inspired by all things around them and taking in the world they were born into. These books seem to be prolific around the 1940's into the 60's. Some are Driftwood Valley, by Stanwell-Fletcher Little Brown and Co. 1946; The House on Nauset Marsh, by Wyman Richardson, Norton & co. 1955; Footnotes on Nature, by John Kiernan, Garden City Publishing Co. 1947. Anyway, my point is we can gleen information from these "lost" books shelved away in corners of antique stores with pages musty and yellowed, some thinned to the point one can barely turn the pages. They offer valuable information and documentation of days gone by. For me it makes for interesting reading, integration of the authors message, a keener awareness of where I stand, and what is lost to me from back in the day. If you are looking for a new hobby, try poking around for a lost gem to read. It recycles the old written works that need new life breathed into them. I can't help but believe if they were re-released they would flourish once again. Best to you all, Annie in Henderson

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  5:37:15 PM  Show Profile
I love old books. My favorite books when I was a kid were "old" books like Black Beauty, Lad: A Dog, anything by Margarite Henry--I love going to used book stores and browsing around. The last book I got was a children's book, Gentle Ben, about a n Alaskan brown bear and the boy who cares for him. There is such a wealth of information in these old treasures. It seems like so much wisdom has been forgotten, and we need to remember it. How are future generations going to survive without the wisdom of the ancients? It's scary to think about.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead O'Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2011 :  05:44:15 AM  Show Profile
Your absolutely right about old books. I belong to two book clubs and the books they read are okay but the old books have class. Antique stores and used book stores have treasures hidden away. There is a wealth of knowledge in those books and today it seems that reading of the classics or any book that is not on the "best sellers list" is totally overlooked. Annie those titles sound intriguing to me and I would bet they are not filled with blood and guts gore or constant four letter words. Enjoy your reading.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Late 19th and Early to Mid 20th Century Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page