Author **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I found you! Next Topic  

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2004 :  2:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
I just knew there had to be a place in cyberspace where farmgirls gathered! I'm happy to have finally found it.

My name is Robin. I am 7 months away from being 40, and 7 weeks away from living my dream. My two girls, husband, and I are leaving the NJ suburbs that we've called home for seven years and are heading south. Our new home will be a 40 acre farm in south Tennessee. While my husband isn't much of a farmboy yet, the girls and I will work hard to convert him. Our future organic products will include: veggies, herbs, a few orchard fruits, eggs, and goat's milk. Other residents of our new farm will be our two dogs, a few horses, and in all liklihood, a couple of additional foster dogs and horses awaiting permanent homes.

Oh, and hubby will continue to work as a consultant to get us off the ground. Bless him.

I look forward to getting to know y'all!

Robin

Juliekay
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

237 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  06:31:23 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Robin,

It sounds great what you are doing. Have you been practicing "farming" by gardening in your suburban home?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  2:01:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Julie,

I sure have! I've had a small organic herb and veggie garden for the last 7 years. The past 4 years have all been volunteers from the compost. I never know what I'll have in the garden until all the seedlings get large enough to recognize.
Go to Top of Page

Paula J.
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Paula
OK
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2004 :  6:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Paula J. an AOL message  Click to see Paula J.'s MSN Messenger address
Wow! What a change for all of you! How old are your girls? Are they jazzed about the move?

My kids were (amazingly) positive about our move away from school and friends. Granted, we didn't move as far as you are, but I anticipated/dreaded more whining than we got. And they love it here now. The latest: a killdeer has laid eggs in the back yard and is guarding them zealously. So, the dog can't run free until the little ones hatch and learn to fly (bummer for him!). The kids are enchanted with the whole process. And, my son just participated in hatching chicken and duck eggs in science lab. He is now *sure* he needs some chickens ... :)

pj

Paula J.
Collinsville, OK
dragonflybodywork@earthlink.net
Go to Top of Page

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2004 :  07:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
Paula Yes, it will be quite a change. Not so much for me, as I grew up on a farm. My girls are still pretty young, 6 and 2, so they will adjust very quickly I'm sure. And since my husband will still be working at the same job, his adjustment won't be so difficult, I don't think.

That's great that your kids love it. You need to get your son some chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2004 :  10:49:51 PM  Show Profile
I agree Paula...chickens are fun and really pretty easy. I just can't live without them!!!

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

leenora
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

cindy
sevierville TN
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2004 :  11:08:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi Cowgurl! While new to this board, I am a born and bred southern girl and just want to say welcome to the south from an east Tenn. girl. Hope "y'all" like it down here!
Go to Top of Page

Cowgurl
Farmgirl in Training

34 Posts

Robin
middle Tennessee
34 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2004 :  10:22:10 AM  Show Profile  Send Cowgurl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Leenora - glad to see another TN farmgurl! I lived in AL and GA for 5 years before we moved back up to yankee land for hubby's job. I'm sooooooo happy to be moving in 4 days!!!!

Btw, we'll be in Giles county - 1/2 way between Pulaski and Columbia.

Robin

Cowgurl, farmgurl, momgurl, wifegurl...
Go to Top of Page
  **Welcome Wagon: Previous Topic I found you! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page