Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Toxic Bread?? Next Topic  

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  11:45:26 AM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Saw this today and thought I would share.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2006/sep/17/comment.food

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  12:09:54 PM  Show Profile
I've felt that way for years!!!

I'm investing in a grain mill this year for my Christmas present. Hubby said I could have anything I want, so that's what I want!

Now...Where to put my little wheat field? I guess I'll have to get creative and maybe use some property at my aunt's place. Maybe the neighbors wouldn't notice if I planted in their side yard where they rarely ever go? LOL! I'll find somewhere for it!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

mountain mama
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Marilyn
Divide Co
168 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  3:02:39 PM  Show Profile
This was a great article. I have not bought bread for about 25 yrs. And I have a grain mill so my whole wheat is always fresh. A loaf of bread is half eaten before it even cools off so it must be good. The smell of fresh bread is the greatest aroma especially on a cold snowy day. And I know what is in it.

Marilyn
Farmgirl #408
Stress relief: go fishing, play in the dirt. go on a road trip, talk to a farmgirl.
Go to Top of Page

Gloria Bonde
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Gloria
Hot Springs SD
USA
103 Posts

Posted - Dec 02 2011 :  5:38:14 PM  Show Profile
I've made all our 100% whole wheat bread for over 2 years. Most of the time with my sourdough starter. But a couple of months ago I was tested for IgG food sensitivities and I reacted to wheat. For some time I had noticed that my whole wheat flour was producing a bread that was tall and beautiful and lacked the heaviness of a stone ground bread. Too milled? I wonder. Anyway in about a month I will be able to try wheat again and I plan to only used stone ground. I did a blog post on IgG allergies - www.dakotagarden.com

www.DakotaGarden.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2011 :  07:21:22 AM  Show Profile
thank you for the post. i agree too that the bread is awful. transglutaminase sp.? is a derivitive of the blood from butchering livestock. it is used in many foods. it is called meat glue. there is an older post on it. it seems very disgusting to me. thats just this old girls opinion. our whole food system is a mess for sure.

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Dec 10 2011 :  10:41:24 PM  Show Profile
I read the other day that our wheat has been genetically modified. Was actually one of the first to be done. We holler and rant about GM corn but I've never heard a peep about GM wheat. Anybody else know about this?

I've been thinking of growing my own wheat next year. Sounds like it's not all that hard to do, just need some land. Looked up doing so online today and found an article that said you should be able to harvest 50 pounds of wheat from a 50' x 20' plot. Was wondering how many loaves of bread that would make? This article also said you can grind your wheat in a coffee grinder, no need to go out and get an expensive mill. All very interesting.

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2011 :  3:30:27 PM  Show Profile
I have a bread machine, and with as much bread as we go through (correction- MY HUSBAND ) goes through, we OUGHT to be making our own.

we have land to grow wheat, barley, buckwheat...whatever grain our heart's desire, but here, for me I don't have the time and would much rather pay someone else to do it.

sure do wish we had a neighbor nearby I could swap eggs for bread.

I personally do not eat it. Don't much care for the taste or smell of the store bought stuff. I do like Panera or Harvest Bread Co. or any home made that has all kinds of bird-seedy type things in it....

Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Toxic Bread?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page