Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  8:41:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I just found out this morning that last week one of my favorite authors died. She was 85 and had a stroke and died comfortably in her own home- Anne McCaffrey. She was a wonderful author and an even more amazing person.

When I was in 7th grade we read a short story in our reader book called "The Littlest Dragonboy" I loved the story but everyone else in the class didn't like it! I wrote down the author's name and couldn't wait to get home so that mom and I could go to the library and check to see if she had any other books.

When I got home and excitedly told my mom about the story that I had loved so much she got this mischevious smile on her face and led me downstairs to our mini library. I couldn't figure out what she was doing until she started handing me book...after book...after book. She had the whole series! I was so excited I didn't know where to start!

That started one of the best chapters of my life. I was immersed in the world. I joined and online writing group, checked out books about the created world of Pern, and generally devoured the world whole. I even wrote to Ms. McCaffrey through email- and was thrilled when she wrote back! She was such a kind person to write a young girl inspired by her books. She touched my life. I wish I had printed that email out and kept it, but I will always remember that she wrote to me.

The world is a sadder place with out her, but I am glad she is no longer in pain.

The world will miss you Anne... and as you so charmingly closed that email from so many years ago... "Ciao!!"

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  9:04:23 PM  Show Profile
Alee, she may be gone, but she will always be in your memory & heart.
hugz

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Relientkrazy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Connie Jo
Portland OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  9:37:58 PM  Show Profile
Alee,oh, I am so sorry to hear that, too. I told my son, who is a sci-fi buff. This lead to a big conversation about his favorite books. When he starts taking about books, I can't get him to stop...that isn't such a bad thing! LOL- he is standing here talking while I am typing. hehe

I am glad you made this post. I would never had known.

Connie Jo
Farmgirl 3640

Recyle, Reuse, Relove something old! Everything deserves a second chance!
Go to Top of Page

jessabelluh
True Blue Farmgirl

349 Posts

Jessica
South Dakota
USA
349 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  03:43:40 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by katmom

Alee, she may be gone, but she will always be in your memory & heart.

I agree, and what wonderful memories you have of her books!
Thank you for sharing that story with us!

~jess
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  03:43:56 AM  Show Profile
Amazing how authors can become such a part of our life, isn't it? It's sad she will no longer grace the world with her talent, but sounds like she led a fabulous life...and you're right, she's no longer in pain. :) Great post, Alee!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  08:22:46 AM  Show Profile
Alee, I haven't read her Pern series and as I turned around to my book shelves I realize I don't have any of her books! That amazes me because she is so well known and I have seen her on the shelves for years. I will have to rectify that.

Laurie

http://www.inntheorchardbnb.com/
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2011 :  8:41:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laurie- if you like Sci-Fi/Fantasy you would probably really enjoy her books. She has this amazing way of making her characters live and breathe for you. When one of her staple characters died in one of the books, I cried and was depressed for days. It was the perfect end for him, but he had seen me through so much of my childhood- it felt like a beloved uncle dying!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  07:22:20 AM  Show Profile
Alee, the first book I read was the White Dragon, and I have bought all of the Pern books as they have become available. I was a bit skeptical when her son started writing with her, but I think he has the legacy well in hand.

I will miss Mrs. McCafferty, every time the sales catalog came from Science Fiction book club, I always looked eagerly to see if she had published a new one.

I am sure there is a special place for her in Harper Hall, with Blues waiting for her, afterall, she was quite a storyteller.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Sad Morning Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page