Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Little green specks in goat milk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little green specks in goat milk Next Topic  

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  06:56:26 AM  Show Profile
I have never ever seen anything like this before. I always put the milk bucket on the bottom shelf of the fridge after milking for a little while to get the foam off. This morning I went to strain it and there were little green specks on top. I got one out with a spoon and it's soft. So I scooped them all out and went ahead and strained it into a jar. I'll try it later. I am down to about a quart a day now from both goats so really want that milk.

I went to every other day with Sandy because she had so little. This morning I milked them both. So I wonder if it came from Sandy?

I wonder if anyone else has ever had this happen? I checked the bottom of the drawer the bucket sits under in the fridge and saw nothing there. Any ideas what it could be?

Kris

Happiness is simple.

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  07:51:20 AM  Show Profile
hi kris, the color of it has me concerned have you tasted the milk? dip the tip of a knife in the milk and taste it. if its salty its mastitus. with penny it is yellow fat floating in hers. depending on the type of mastitus they show different symptoms. do you have a dr. naylor card? i think you are right about it being sandy. it could be she has a sub-clinical case. that means it only shows under stress. so drying of is stress to the udder. if she were mine i would test her first. then use tomorrows in her and not milk any more. just my humble thoughts. maybe milk the girls separate next time to see who it is. i bet its sandy. this is what hazel did. so we used a strong infusion when drying her off. so sorry for your trouble. i know how frustrating it can be. how is zarah doing? sending hugs sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Little green specks in goat milk Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page