Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Had a most delightful conversation in line today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Had a most delightful conversation in line today Next Topic  

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile
I had a knitting magazine on the top of my little stock of stuff and the nice gentleman behind me asked if I knitted. I told him that I taught myself a couple of years ago and then he started in on how he learned to knit as a young boy, but now mostly crochets. He was so sweet when he started to tell about the baby blankets he crochets.

This was an older man with hearing aids and a Veteran's cap on...telling me all about his love of working with hands. He tried crocheting a Harley Davidson symbol on an afghan and couldn't get right so his daughter suggested latch hooking for that. He said that even though anyone could do it, he's still having fun. :)

Honestly, I was a bit sad for our line to move forward and to say goodbye as I would have loved to hear more of his story.

You just never know who you are going to run into in line at a fabric store!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

Edited by - musicmommy on Nov 25 2011 6:12:01 PM

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  5:49:24 PM  Show Profile
What a neat story, thanks for sharing!

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Hooray for humanity on National Retail Day.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  10:11:38 PM  Show Profile
Seems a lot of man are knitting or crocheting nowadays :) Many do soms sort of crossstitch as well. LOVE that...men should do that more IMO . My brother is a STAR behind the sewing machine, he sews his own curtains, bed linen, sheers....even Sinterklaas outfits, complete perfect outfits. The latter he doesn't do anymore now ofcourse but bed linen, sheers and curtains he still does :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://pinkprincessdecorating.blogspot.com/
Almost daily updates on me, my home and my crafts

Farmgirl sister # 2410

Edited by - dutchy on Nov 25 2011 10:13:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

farmmilkmama
True Blue Farmgirl

2027 Posts

Amy
Central MN
USA
2027 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  04:23:44 AM  Show Profile
So nice to hear, and I will share the story with my son. He is seven and LOVES to do crafty stuff, especially sewing. He's trying to crochet and knit but just can't figure out his hands yet. But sometimes he will confide in me "Mom, do boys actually do this kind of stuff or am I just weird?" I have to tell him everything I know about boys who do "stuff like this", and it always tickles me to let him know that I didn't know a thing about sewing until his FATHER taught me! :) Yay for men who crochet/knit/sew/ etc.!

--* FarmMilkMama *--

Farmgirl Sister #1086

Be yourself.
Everyone else is already taken.
-Oscar Wilde

www.farmfoodmama.blogspot.com

www.thehmmmschoolingmom.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  6:37:54 PM  Show Profile
My Dad has always done different craft things. His latest is basket weaving.

There is a man the designs crochet patterns. He is called "the crochet dude". I can't remember his real name though.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  07:22:46 AM  Show Profile
I will share this story with one of my son's friends. He is BEGGING me to teach him to knit and crochet - we agreed we would work on that over Christmas break. My thought is, if a boy is going to "fidget" with his fingers and thumbs, instead of giving him a game controller, give him some yarn and needles or a hook, and let him be productive and use his imagination!

Thanks for sharing this!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Avoid soil depravation and get your dirt on! Start a garden in your own backyard...

Check out my blog: http://suburbanprairiehomemaker.blogspot.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker) and Twitter (@sphomemaker)

Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  09:33:22 AM  Show Profile
That is very sweet! I love seeing men at the fabric store, even when they're with their wives picking out fabric. At least they're taking an active part. I have a good friend that enjoys sewing, I envy his equipment. He bought a new serger a year ago and just picked up a 6 needle professional embroidery machine! His mom was a seamstress for the movie industry. He told me that she sewed Scralet O'Hara's famous green dress! He's the only one in his family that picked up a needle after her. I think this is something that men would appreciate later in life. They may not during their teenage or middle ages, but it's a nice hobby for indoors.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  09:39:24 AM  Show Profile
I loved this story. My father was the seamster(man?) in our family. Mom still can't sew a button, but he made all of my pants when I was wee because I was so skinny. He also made all my costumes for the church plays!

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  10:16:22 AM  Show Profile
Sweet story. My husband learned to knit as a kid, and I have had boys in my knitting classes before.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  2:11:43 PM  Show Profile
I recently saw an article with pictures of soldiers knitting. This was a way for them to pass time and for soldiers who had a long recovery after being wounded, it kept their minds and hands busy. There's lots of articles on the internet about it. It seems strange to me that some of our celebrities of various arts are male, yet their respective trades are those often relegated as a "woman's" job. Cooking and clothes designers come to mind. DH wanted to learn how to knit when he was young but his mother scared him off saying it was a girl's job.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sonshine4u
Chapter Guru

1205 Posts

April
New Prague MN
USA
1205 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2011 :  08:26:49 AM  Show Profile
LOVED this story! Thanks for sharing! :)

Playing in the Sonshine
Go to Top of Page

Ohioann
Farmgirl in Training

38 Posts

Ann
Minerva OH
USA
38 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2011 :  1:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Rosie Greer, a football star in the 50s-60s did needlepoint and wrote a book about it.

Farmgirl 3129 Retired and busier than ever in East Central Ohio
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Had a most delightful conversation in line today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page