Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Anyone else staying home on Black Friday?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone else staying home on Black Friday? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  8:02:33 PM  Show Profile
Girls, I am just so consumered out this year. Finances are pretty shaky too. But last time I went out on a BF I ended up bruised from being pushed and shoved and never did find the toy that the great Nephew wanted. I know that everyone just wants to get the best bargains for their dollar, but holy cow, it's a mad house!!! I'm reading about people camping out at some of the big stores in cars and campers waiting for the doors to open!

Is it just me or does it seem like nothing that you can buy is of any quality anymore? My money flies out of my account fast enough already with out throwing it away on a bunch of stuff that wont last 6 months!

I'm making most of my gifts this year, but what Andrew, I and a bunch of our friends are going to do is make a party day out of going shopping among local artisans and businesses. We are all sick of cheap and poorly made merchandise and are on a quest to find things worth our money.

So, I'm just mind boggled by people gearing up two days before to hit BF...i'm staying home, drinking chai and eating pumpkin pie

Spill! What are your best BF stories and are you joining or hiding under the bed

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci

MEWolf
True Blue Farmgirl

358 Posts

Margaret
Byers Colorado
USA
358 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  8:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I am staying home, I have never been a Black Friday shopper. I hate that people seem to lose all sense when they go out in droves in search of the best deals. It seems to bring the worst out in humanity. Also, in these tense and worrisome economic times, I feel the large retailers are being very irresponsible by opening "early".

However, I AM heading out Saturday to support "Shop Small" to purchase a Christmas Ornament from our local feed store and a couple of things from our local hardware store. Seems like a much better idea to me!
Margaret

“Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds.” ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1808-1882)
Farmgirl #3020
www.grey-wolf-farm.com
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13631 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13631 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  8:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
I will be staying home! We live in a small town and so the only place open all night is Walmart BUT I have no intention of going shopping tonight, early in the morning or tomorrow at all. It's crazy! And the TV ads are NUTS!!!
I'll be sewing . . . I might drink chai and eat pumpkin pie too! Too bad we can't share that time together
We are artists and crafters ourselves . . . so we make gifts! We buy from our local folks. The only TV commercial that is an encouragement is the "Shop Small Saturday" ads.

And, if anyone has Mary Janes calendar it says it is "Buy Nothing Day" on Friday! Works for me!!!
Enjoy your day tomorrow Annika!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  9:31:50 PM  Show Profile
I used to enjoy working Black Friday, but I've never once been out shopping myself. I'm planning to stay away from shopping centers entirely tomorrow.

Oh wait, my husband just informed me that he wants to go to the AmVet Thrift Store's Black Friday sale. I've never heard of Black Friday at the thrift store!
Go to Top of Page

Farmer Judy
True Blue Farmgirl

433 Posts

Judy
North Aurora IL
USA
433 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  9:44:29 PM  Show Profile
I plan on only going to one local store, a quilt shop. We tried shopping BF years ago and it was a disaster going with a double stroller at the time. Now we just do most of the shopping online.

God bless,

Judy

Born a city girl but a farm girl at heart!

http://farmtimes.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Farmtopia
True Blue Farmgirl

1465 Posts

Zan
New York New York
USA
1465 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  02:01:28 AM  Show Profile
Nope, never did Black Friday and won't do it now. I remember the horrible story of the one employee who got trampled to death when he opened the doors to Walmart at midnight! It was so bad the people actually COMPLAINED when the cleared the store out for the ambulance! They were annoyed they had to put their "bargains" down and leave. Umm, yes, it speaks lots of volumes about some folks in this country and I'm worried, and I won't be shopping anywhere but LOCAL and supporting small business and artists!

~*~Dream all you dreamers~*~

View My Work:

art/dolls: www.vagabondcreations.blogspot.com

The Horse Drawn Project and Farming!
www.beyondvagabond.blogspot.com

View the blog and radio show!
Renegade Farming!: www.therenegadefarmer.com

N
Go to Top of Page

wandrinbear
Farmgirl in Training

29 Posts

beth
az
29 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  05:25:27 AM  Show Profile
Nope, I'm not a BF shopper either. Geesh, I don't even like to shop on regular Saturdays.
If I go anywhere it will be the local Senior Center Thrift Shop. That is always a fun place to drop in and look around.
Yesterday was an extra nice day with a large family gathering at Grandaughter's house. Hope you all had pleasant Holidays.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Gill
True Blue Farmgirl

1114 Posts

Beverly
Marlborough
USA
1114 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  05:45:06 AM  Show Profile
not me----just to the grocery store and maybe a bargain place----I need extra large leaf bags to gather about 20 more bags of oak leaves.

Anyone care to join me???It is supposed to get up to near 60....the flowers are confused and are starting to bloom....my knock out roses are still blooming.

Beverly Gill

There's no place like home
Go to Top of Page

annielaurel
True Blue Farmgirl

912 Posts

nancy
fernandina beach florida
USA
912 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  05:47:46 AM  Show Profile
Not for me. I think those people are nuts to go out there to get a "bargain" and waster their time waiting in line. All that bumping into each other and acting like that just to save money. Is that what Christmas is all about?? I am making most of my gifts this year and shopping at small shops. I was sending my granddaughter money for the last 3 years. No more. This year I shopped at the local antique/thrift shop and bought them necklaces. I made my children's gifts.

Nancy

Farmgirl Sister #2301

Laughing is good exercise. It is like jogging on the inside.
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  07:02:34 AM  Show Profile
Well, we don't get your Thanksgiving Friday/Black Friday off up here in Canada, and it was always so far for me to travel (think 6+ hours to the nearest American city). Now that I'm only 20 min from the border & only about 2 1/2 hrs from the city, I still don't go. I hate crowds & rushing, and I like my sleep! Not to say that I don't look online at some of the deals, but I'm not going out in the craziness just to get something for real cheap. And I'm like a lot of you too, where I am making a lot of my gifts this year.

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

FieldsofThyme
Farmgirl Guide & Schoolmarm / Chapter Leader

4928 Posts

USA
4928 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  07:03:06 AM  Show Profile
I haven't shopped black Friday in years. I used to when my kids were very young, and I was strapped for cash on toys. I'd go to one store.

Yesterday, my 17yo dd was tickled to be invited to go with a friend an her mother. However, when I got up this morning, she was still here sleeping (ha ha ha!)

Farmgirl #800
http://pioneerwomanatheart.blogspot.com/

http://scrapreusedandrecycledartprojects.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Simply Satisfied
True Blue Farmgirl

427 Posts

Emily
Montana
USA
427 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  07:22:52 AM  Show Profile
If I do any BF shopping it is online but this year I am almost done with making or buying my gifts. I find the earlier I am done shopping the more enjoy the holiday.

Emily
Farmgirl # 3591
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6606 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6606 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  08:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Nope, not me either!! I hate shopping any day but there is no way I would get wrapped up in all that traffic and chaos. I am waiting for my best friend to arrive from Atlanta and we are going to hang out today and tomorrow. She is bringing a project to make cute rag slippers for a women's shelter project so we plan to sew and craft away all afternoon!! Now, that is my kind of Black Friday!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  08:28:33 AM  Show Profile
Annika I am SO WITH you! I'm making most of my gifts. Buying something fun AND useful for Josh (boyfriend) and think I'm going to have him do the same for me.

I'm working today from 845 to 1, and had not intended to go anywhere, but may stop at the one place in town I know people won't beat each other up for a good deal - the Harley dealership. If I see a fist fight over a pair of chaps while I'm there, I might just loose faith in humanity, haha!

I never do black friday, either. I've been studying it, and you really don't get any better deals. Besides which, the idiots in the Kohl's parking lot across the street from my branch are circling around for parking spaces so much, they're liable to spend more on gas than they save inside! One idiot in particular is parked illegally, twice in one shot! In a red zone, and in the grass!

One guy double parked for about five minutes with his flashers on, as if that made it okay. He was waiting for his wife to come out and load the car with all her "bargains".

I feel so bad for Josh, since he had to get up before the sun and be at work by 5, and they do not close till 9. This likely means he won't be home till 10 or 1030 tonight Maybe I will stop and get him some Red Stripe, but I have a feeling the grocery store is going to be inundated with idiots, too. I know my Momma's store will... poor thing. She works the returns department and I doubt she'll get all of her breaks today!

I think, instead of black friday shopping, I will get home and clean the kitchen and do some black friday sewing! Just me, the cat and the dog.

"I'm not trying to be mean or cantankerous. I just wish people would do the right thing, and use a little common sense." ~ Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX

http://www.tawnycow.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmDream
True Blue Farmgirl

1085 Posts

Julie
TX
USA
1085 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  08:56:23 AM  Show Profile
We ventured out for a little bit, but long after the midnight sales. I bought 2 things that aren't too trendy. One is a kitchenaid mixer that is made in the USA and I will leave it to someone in my will years from now. We don't need a t.v. or other electronic gadgets. We are patiently shopping for a computer but we don't feel the need to fight people for one.

~FarmDream is Farmgirl Sister #3069

Live Today, Cherish Yesterday, Dream Tomorrow

http://naturaljulie.etsy.com
http://julie-rants.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  09:18:18 AM  Show Profile
Never have, never will, and one reason is, I would probaly end up in jail by KOing some idiot...I heard on the news this morn that some women in a wal-mart used pepper spray to keep other shoppers at bay, so she could get what she wanted...to much insanity and greed...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3318 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3318 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  10:05:38 AM  Show Profile
Well...I stayed HOME! My husband, daughter and son did NOT.

It was well after midnight when DH returned with an inexpensive flat screen that is promptly going back-Deals were had but that one was a bust big time. Daughter and Son mostly watched the crazy crowds at our local Wal-mart and came home with one story about a woman who was punched in the nose drawing blood.

The whole BUYING frenzy makes me ill....What can people be thinking??

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

heritagehunter
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Julie
La Salle Co
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  10:56:41 AM  Show Profile
I have to work today; as I did yesterday. I have gone out in the past and wiill again some other year. If you are out there to get all yor shopping done at the best prices then it does get stressful, annoying and is more work than what it is worth. When I go out I don't have a set agenda. I just look around and mostly watch the crazy people. I stay relaxed and just enjoy the sights. I set my mind to having fun and that's what happens.

Odd arn't I?
Go to Top of Page

vmfein
True Blue Farmgirl

247 Posts

Valerie
Dale City VA
USA
247 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  1:35:00 PM  Show Profile
No we did not go anywhere, although I plan on buying a few cross stitch patterns online. It was interesting because yesterday the paper had an ad, apparently one of the local grocery stores had BF sales (they got toys and had all of their store brand frozen food on sale). I thought it was one of the weirdest things I had ever seen. Over the weekend though we may go see a movie.

Farmgirl Sister #2619

http://www.etsy.com/shop/vmfein
Go to Top of Page

nabrown42
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Nancy
Caneyville KY
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  5:40:55 PM  Show Profile
I avoid such idiotic gatherings like the plague! There is nothing on this earth that I need or want badly enough that would take me out on Black Friday. I try to buy things all through the year and put them away until the holidays. I'm just not a fan of shopping, period.

"I've wept in the night for the shortness of sight that to someone's needs I've been blind; but I've yet to feel a twinge of regret for being a little too kind."
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  6:23:16 PM  Show Profile
I never been to a black friday shopping before in my life. Never ever until I ask my husband to drive me to a parking lot just to see the people last night. Wow. I was quite speechless actually to see people really spent their time and money on just this day? no wonder people is so stressout during the holidays now I know why. When i went inside I felt very very nausea...maybe because there are so many people inside...not enough air and chaos and long long lines...I told my husband let get the heck out because I am sick to my stomach watching these folks. Insane is what I can describe.

I am soooo happy I buy gifts throughout the year. My husband ask if I want anything. I feel very content of what I have. I told my husband last night that was my first to see "black friday" and my last.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  6:29:09 PM  Show Profile
I must be the only one that had a good experience, and positive interactions with other humans. I'm done shopping too :)

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

texdane
Farmgirl Legend Chapter Leader Chapter Guru

4658 Posts

Nicole
Sandy Hook CT
USA
4658 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  09:44:24 AM  Show Profile
Annika,
I just posted my thoughts on another thread. I'm staying in all weekend. I am shocked at how bad our world has gotten. No family time anymore. The news of the violence all over from Black Friday shocks and saddens me. I mean, what is so important that you must risk your life to shop? It just frightens me. I refuse to shop this weekend. Most of my gifts are going to be handmade/homemade anyhow. Anyone else hear the rumor that some stores are opening Christmas day so people can take their gifts back and start the after-Christmas sales? There will be no holidays or families together at all anymore if this keeps up. It just sickens me.

Nicole

Farmgirl Sister #1155
KNITTER, JAM-MAKER AND MOM EXTRAORDINAIRE
Chapter Leader, Connecticut Simpler Life Sisters

Suburban Farmgirl Blogger
http://sfgblog.maryjanesfarm.org/
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  4:39:58 PM  Show Profile
I've never once gone Black Friday shopping. But this year we kind of did. Didn't get up at an insane time, didn't deal with crowds, but we did make a purchase. Bought a car!!! I'm still in shock but pretty pumped with my pretty, shiny car.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

pnickols
True Blue Farmgirl

808 Posts

Patricia
Parma Ohio
808 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  7:15:53 PM  Show Profile
sorry but the "riot" at 4 am in a Victoria Secret store cracked me up. just how bad do you need to buy panties anyway ?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  8:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I do go BF shopping and went out with my niece. I have always had a great experience. My first year I was waiting with a lady whose family saves us just to "adopt" whole families for the holidays and provide clothing, toys and food for many familys (I think she said ten?) Her husband works a second job all year just to do this. It was amazing and humbling. I helped fetch some things for her.

Last year I went and chatted with some ladies and helped hand things to others when they couldn't reach the pile.

And this year I had some great conversations with people while we waited for the staged release times. I helped hand things to another lady when the timer went off and then had a fun conversation with a young guy while waiting to get my new laptop. I honestly have never see any pushing or even any rudeness. I guess it just depends on where you live and the philosophy.

I totally understand wanting to stay away from the crowds and I think people need to show some restraint. I could have bought a lot more, but decided I didn't need to be crazy. Plus the holidays aren't about _what_ you get but rather the time with friends and family. I really love watching people open a gift that I thought about a lot and planned for though. :)

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Anyone else staying home on Black Friday? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page