one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile
I have a whopper of a secret. I hate chickens, I know, what? What farmgirl hates chickens? Me. I was in charge of chickens my whole childhood. With chickens, came snakes, on the trail to the chickens, bears lurking, and cougar tracks. Are you starting to see it now? We had Rhode Island Reds, and they were blood drawing mean, especially that rooster.

I can't take store eggs, and for as much as I hate chickens, I need them.

My question is: What is the nicest chicken, in your opinion?

I read somewhere that Buff Orphingtons like to cuddle. Just kidding, I did read they were docile.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile
My FBCM's are all lovely, but I hatched them myself and they've been socialized from day one. Even the Roosters let you pick them up and cuddle them. Our most affectionate hen is my little Banty Cochin, Dovey. She's all white and a total love. We're going to get some standard Cochins in the spring, I think. My EE's are pretty flighty, but good layers, and the Australorps are not laying well for me, so they may go the way of the 8-track tape...

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  2:29:53 PM  Show Profile
I was just here:
http://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/

I can totally see how someone could collect chickens.
Hi Natalie, thanks for the reply.
I think Brahmas maybe. I would like year long layers. I am starting this thread now, because I want to be a good chicken mom. I would guess my childhood chickens were freaked out from predators, and not being socialized.

I want to start with a chicken tractor. I live in the suburbs, on the fringe, do you think I need a rooster for protection? I get DH out the door by 3:30AM, so crowing is not an issue......for me.

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  3:47:02 PM  Show Profile
if you want all year egg layers, reserch "Red Sexlinks", they are production layers, they were developed about 20 yrs ago, crossing Buff Orps, Rhode Islands, barred and leghorns, all hens hatch out red, and roosters are white, i.e. the name...they are calm, includeing roosters, start laying at 4-5 months old, hardy in heat and cold, don't need lights in the winter, slow down alittle during molt, and when mature you get xtra large to jumbo size eggs in differant shades of brown, from light to choclate...

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  04:22:16 AM  Show Profile
From experience & a whole mess of different chickens coming here I would say Buff Orpingtons are the calmest & sweetest as a pure bred....if you go really small the silkies are wonderful as well....like holding a little moving dust ball....
I have so many that are mixed bred & they are all fairly calm...My brown leg horn who I have owned 3+ yrs is still my most skiddest hen though she is a great layer....but all of my white leghorns are sweet & let me pick them up.....Roosters are good protection but if you don't have one or need one for hatching eggs your highest topped girl will usually become the rooster as far as letting the others know there is danger...when I didn't have a rooster Purdence-top hen took over as the protector....I really don't need a rooster but I take in injured or sick chickens/chicks no one wants or knows how to care for so after tending to them I tend to love them too much to get rid of them....but at one time I had more roosters than baby hens so had to find homes...broke my heart but it had to be done....anyway whatever you choose, if you get it while it is small & pick it up & hold it often that helps a lot over time....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  04:57:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much ladies!
I was on the fence between a sweet chicken coop or bees for Christmas.

Go to Top of Page

retasos2
True Blue Farmgirl

272 Posts

Pilar
Centereach NY
USA
272 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  05:56:28 AM  Show Profile
Red Stars, our vote is for Red Stars. We got 3 easter layers at 4 weeks old and 2 Red Stars at 14 weeks old, guest who are the friendliest? The Red Stars, the chase me around and make a sound that minics "mom". How could you not love that!

Pilar
Farmgirl Sister #2498
Little Hen House on the Island

" A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is, until she gets in hot water" Eleanore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  07:14:05 AM  Show Profile
i agree with red stars. determined to lay eggs, easy keepers. i find they are quieter than some others i have had. we have 100 chickens right now. red stars are working hard chickens and very hardy. hope this helps you. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  08:25:24 AM  Show Profile
Chicken Whisperers, the whole lot of you!

Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2011 :  10:00:07 AM  Show Profile
Just so you know, red stars and red sexlinks are pretty much the same thing, red stars came after the sexlinks and were "desgined" by 2 differant people wanting the same thing

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirlonPark
Farmgirl in Training

30 Posts

Kelda
Des Moines Iowa
USA
30 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  05:59:01 AM  Show Profile
Childhood fears are the worst to overcome, so it's a drag you have bad chicken memories. I ordered my chickens from www.mypetchicken.com where they tell you which are docile, cold hearty, good layers, etc. and chose the following breeds (forgive any misspellings):
cochin
buff orpington
wyndonottes
silkie
faverolle
All are docile and allow us to hold them without too much protest but the downright sweet ones are the cochin, orpington and the silkie. I'd better clarify what "protest" is...flapping wings and maybe a squauk but they've never pecked any of us.

When they were chicks we held them daily and as they got older we've tried to keep them used to that.

Well, I hope whatever you decide - chickens vs bees - that they are friendly and you enjoy them very much.

God Bless & Happy Trails!
Kelda
Farmgirl on Park
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  03:58:59 AM  Show Profile
I don't think I would consider it a childhood fear, I did my chores, but hated all of it. Mainly, my dad is horrible at keeping any animal.

We don't have rattlesnakes or bears here, the occasional cougar in the burbs, but mainly they like to hang around the elementary school. I am afraid of these animals.

I am very excited to have chickens. I told our carpenter I would name a chicken after him, Gena.

It is really, really, really, really, hard to pick one chicken breed.

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Chat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page