Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 When you ask guests to bring dinner items...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic When you ask guests to bring dinner items... Next Topic
Page: of 2

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  1:45:10 PM  Show Profile
especially if they're coming from almost 3 hours away, a) give them an easy way out (chips, salsa, that sort of thing) or b) don't tell them they can't use your oven for 10 minutes.

I swear. Thanksgiving can be a real hassle! My sil asked me to bring the pumpkin pie and the sweet potatoes, then decided that she would ask her dad to bring the sweet potatoes because she couldn't think of anything to tell him to bring, and now this afternoon, she asked me via Facebook to bring an appetizer but, but I don't know how I'm supposed to actually "make" anything if she won't allow me to "premake" them at my house and then use her oven (because, she has a Wolff double oven). I've tossed out three different ideas, all of which I can premake at my house and assemble, but bake for 10 minutes max to serve, and she's said, "yeah, the turkey..." but doesn't offer any other suggestions. It's VERY frustrating, because, this group of people frowns on cheeseballs and chips and salsa, especially on Thanksgiving. They're more of a "Gourmet magazine" crowd...but I work until 5:30 the day prior, and then have to go home and make the pie (and whatever appetizer...), then the next day, drive up to their house by 12:30 so that we can eat at 5:00 then back home the almost three hours in the dark. She is a stay at home mom who's mother has been there since Saturday to help get ready...so, why am I the one put out with this appetizer?

"Hey, I've got nothing to do today but smile..."
The Only Living Boy in New York, Paul Simon

Edited by - FebruaryViolet on Nov 21 2011 1:49:59 PM

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  2:21:26 PM  Show Profile
Cheez whiz and Ritz.

“It always looks darkest just before it gets totally black.”-Charlie Brown
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2873 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2873 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  2:25:13 PM  Show Profile
Amen Trish
or spam on saltines
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  2:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Make some hummus, or buy it, and put it in your dish, add some roasted red peppers in oil, pita chip, or sesame crackers, and Deli olives.

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Nov 21 2011 2:29:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:03:58 PM  Show Profile
Could you make something from home then wrap it up with a heated brick and wrapped in foil and lots of towels? Or why not bring a small toaster oven with you then when you get there you can set it up on an end table in the living room and heat what you need too. I can't believe she can't squeeze your item in the oven for a few minutes!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:13:12 PM  Show Profile
I am going to be mean and say nothing. I love this adage at Rosemary's school: "Ya get what ya get and ya don't through a fit!" Words of wisdom.

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Tea Lady
True Blue Farmgirl

645 Posts

Lorraine
Morris IL
USA
645 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  4:17:31 PM  Show Profile
Ditto on Trish's suggestion - she sounds way too picky. Or just bring the pie. That's more than enough.

Liz - words to live by... :o)

Lorraine
(aka Tea Lady)
Farmgirl #1819
www.birdsandteas.com
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  5:19:54 PM  Show Profile
Take a block of cream cheese, put a jar of jalapeno jelly over it and bring on the Ritz
or the soup crackers with the Hidden Valley salad dressing. Good Luck!

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:41:54 PM  Show Profile
It drives me nuts that people don't let me host and just make my own food. I'm on your side.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  6:45:51 PM  Show Profile
OK, here's a good take it with you recipe; Log of goat cheese, honey, a few tablespoons of cream cheese: mix or puree. Add some dried cherries or cranberries, pine nuts (optional), honey, and cinnamon and stir with spoon to combine. Form into ball, roll in sliced almonds. Serve with snotty crackers.

Edited by - ivmeer on Nov 22 2011 08:03:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

22angel
True Blue Farmgirl

498 Posts

Pam
Manitoba
Canada
498 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  8:32:05 PM  Show Profile
I don't have a solution, but Liz, what you said reminds me of Pinkalicious "you get what you get & you don't get upset!" (It's a children's book lol, and they love it! Too bad they didn't always remember it!).

Life isn't about finding yourself. It's about creating yourself.

"When I grow up, I want to be dirt." seen on a box through construction in Wyoming 2010
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  03:57:40 AM  Show Profile
I think you should bring alcohol as an appetizer, sounds like you'll need it. That is really the ONLY think I ask people to bring, ever, unless I run out of butter or something, and they call on their way.

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  05:39:56 AM  Show Profile
If people insist on bringing something, I tell them to bring flowers.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  06:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Thanks girls, these posts have both made me laugh and given me good suggestions. Apparently, she asked my other mil to bring one, too (?) and all I could think was: "what exactly are you doing that you couldn't come up with some guacamole or something?" I love her, but she lives in this sort of "alter reality" where somehow, she has no time, even though she doesn't work and her kids are in school and she goes out with the girls for "girls night"---um, I have never had one of those and she gets her nails and hair done bi-monthly...um, never had a manicure and my hair is done biannually...I realize being a SAHM can be really hectic, especially when they're little and still underfoot, but when they're both in school, I'm thinking I could get a heck of a lot done!

A few years ago, when my mil hosted Thanksgiving, she has a bug the week prior but called the Saturday before Thanksgiving to say she didn't think she'd be able to make the sweet potatoes....for the coming THURSDAY because she'd been sick. So, it fell to me, along with the 2 other dishes I was making. The problem is, they've always called her "the princess" so she acts like one and gets away with that sort of behavior.

@Amanda...love your post! "Serve with snotty crackers..." that's awesome. I told my other mil yesterday that I was stressed about it because I don't have a lot of time, and she isn't interested in letting us use the oven so it will have to be something easy. She said, "why are you stressed about it?" And I said, "because I'm not going to be the one they talk nasty about--I've heard them (my sil and other mil) rip people apart for their "non-cooking skills" after they leave, or that they brought something better suited to an outdoor bbq...I refuse to be that person! For my daughter's 2nd birthday, I made a cheeseball, a recipe that I got from a lovely farmgirl, one that I took to work and had none to take home, and they didn't TOUCH it. I heard them later say, "I don't eat cheeseballs...too....I don't know." With a shrug of the shoulders.

Colour me versatile, but I can knock back a cheeseball better than anybody, and turn around and eat something that impresses a foodie like fig jam and gorgonzola toasts. I just like food and I have NO hangups about that!!!!

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  08:15:22 AM  Show Profile
I added some details to my cheeseball recipe that I realized that I'd left out.

Okay, so let's think about this...what sort of things do these people eat? They don't like cheeseball, but I'm assuming that jello salad or whatever would be frowned upon?

Here's my Thanksgiving chillover recipe:
1 Tablespoon chillover powder
1 can coconut milk
1 cup shredded fresh coconut
1 jar sour cherries in juice (like Sophia or Marco Polo), drained, juice reserved
Enough sour cherry juice (Heirloom Farms or Knudsen, or Whole Foods makes a generic, I think) to make a little less than 2 cups (I think it comes to 14 oz.)

Cook coconut milk with chillover powder until it boils for a few minutes, remove from heat, add juice and fruit, put in 6-cup gelatin mold sprayed with Pam. Chill until set.

I also do a pina colada chillover with crushed pineapple, pineapple juice, and coconut milk, and you can add some shredded coconut.

Edited by - ivmeer on Nov 22 2011 08:16:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  08:17:27 AM  Show Profile
Would they eat homemade hummus and baba ganouj?
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Perhaps--I found a recipe that calls for cream cheese, spread with a cranberry/apple chutney and green onion, to be served with blue cheese or stilton shortbread. It sounds easy, good and transportable. I'm not sure if they'd eat hummus or baba ganouj, because neither my mil or my sil will eat Pesto because they say it tastes funny...Regardless, I have to get my ducks in a row because my husband has to work this evening and next (and we are now a one car family, so he will need the car) so I have VERY limited time to decide on something and get ingredients--since I'm working today and tomorrow, also, that leaves me very little movement. All the while she's probably hanging out at her house!

Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:34:08 AM  Show Profile
You know, maybe next year you should consider doing your own Thanksgiving at home rather than be bullied into driving yourself crazy to cook for people who are going to be unappreciative anyway. It occurs to me that you deserve more than you're getting here.
Go to Top of Page

henlady35904
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

Kim
Gadsden Alabama
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:46:06 AM  Show Profile
Carry the pie and forget the rest. My dear sweet Momma use to tell me... sticks and stones may break my bones, but there words will never hurt me. Good luck!

Farmgirl Sister #2667
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:50:55 AM  Show Profile
@ Amanda, you know, you're not the only person who's said this to me (including my husband). I swore last year, when it was about 20 degrees, raining like we needed an Ark, and 25 minutes on to I-74, Violet got car sick, "next year, we're not doing this!" and here I am again. I always feel pulled to do things for everyone else, especially during the holiday season. It's tough because my husband has this "nuclear fall out family" where his mom and dad divorced, both remarried and my mil and step mil are now best friends, and there is an amiable relationship between my fil and step fil, too. We kill two birds with one stone, so to speak, but I often wonder if it's at the expense of sanity.

Kim, your momma was a good advice giver--I talked with my other mil and she's elected to make two appetizers so I don't have to think about it anymore :)

Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:55:19 AM  Show Profile
I love Kim's idea! They will probably have lots of munchies anyway. However, your appetizer sounds yummy and easy to set up and pack. Sounds elegant. Good luck with your decision.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  10:57:54 AM  Show Profile
Whoops! I just read the rest of the posts...glad you're off the hook. Now, you can relax. (Think I will try your appetizer though..for Christmas gathering) Right now I'm busy freaking out over Thanksgiving.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  11:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Here's the link to the recipe, Judith
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Blue-Cheese-Shortbread-Leaves-with-Cream-Cheese-Chutney-Roulade-107244

it really does sound wonderful to me and I thought I'd make it for the office or for a small gathering of friends before Christmas. Or just me :)

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  4:24:52 PM  Show Profile
Seems to me it would be happier memories for you to spend them at home with your nuclear family, and maybe you could invite a few neighbors into the "family" for the meal Jonni. but, that's just my take.

I dunno, I only had one "aunt" who used to request certain things, always the hardest most expensive thing from my mother, and grandmother (her sister and mother). And then she would take the credit for either making or buying them! After a few years mom and grandma got tired of it in a hurry and it was a relief to not go any more!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  08:13:34 AM  Show Profile
Jonni-
One of my sister-in-law is a "princess" too. She sound exactly like my sister-in-law. I don't listen to her anymore though. I just let her blah, blah, blah...one ear in and out it goes.

We usually bring shrimp cocktails, chips & dips, alcohol, or cookies for picky hostess/host. Most of the host/hostess I know is quite frank & they tell me upfront of what they want us to bring. I don't take it to heart if they eat or drink it. As long in my heart knows I did my share I don't care what they do with it even if they trash it afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

FebruaryViolet
True Blue Farmgirl

4810 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4810 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2011 :  08:24:40 AM  Show Profile
Annie,
It's a real difficult thing, isn't it? I just figure, I'll make the pie and since my mil has the other stuff covered, I'm not going to worry about it. After 10 years, you'd think I'd get better at just being "ok" with not stressing over this, but I think I'm subconsciously making up for my husband's lack of interest in his own family.

The other part of my conversation with her that I didn't mention (b/c it wasn't about the food) was about my niece's gift for Christmas. See, my sil gives us "approved lists" of items that she "scouts" or that our niece and nephew have asked for. The larger items go on the grandparents lists, and the medium to smaller items to us or her other brothers. This year, our niece asked for a Lolaloopsy (??) doll. I'd never heard of it, but went to Target and found them. I found a "collector" edition, that was much more than the others, but they've just redone her "Paris" themed, all hot pink and black, and this doll was French themed. So, I asked if she thought she would like it and her answer was, "I'll have to ask her and see..." DON'T BOTHER!!! It's supposed to be a Christmas gift, why would you tell her what she "might" be getting from me to see her reaction? And, just like the food thing, it's all according to her directives.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic When you ask guests to bring dinner items... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page