Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 important lesson learned while making walnut ink..
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic important lesson learned while making walnut ink.. Next Topic  

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  7:53:49 PM  Show Profile
The entire process was messy, smelly, but a lot of fun. However, probably the most memorable part of this experience would be: when working outdoors on a blustery day making something which will act as a dye..it's best not to wipe your runny nose with a rubber glove.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  8:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! I can only imagine!! It sounds like a lot of fun though!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  9:40:18 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Judith, could you explain the whole process? I have never heard of anyone doing this.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  07:54:16 AM  Show Profile
Julie, there are lots of recipes for this online. I just googled. In the end..I picked up a couple dozen black walnuts from the yard. Some at the green/black stage, some black. I put them in a stock pot and covered with water. Brought to a boil. Simmered for about 3 hours. They pretty much stunk up the house. (Smell was very earthy) I used a potato masher on them to moosh off the husks. I think I read that they should simmer about 8 hours. (We couldn't handle the smell indoors) Then I took the pot outdoors when cooled. Using the rubber gloves at this point I strained all of the gunk and walnuts from the liquid using slotted spoon, colanders and cheesecloth. Strained 3 times. Then added 1 tablespoon of vinegar to the liquid. (I read in one of the recipes that this would retard mold. Then I transfered the ink to 4 4oz. jars for gifts (if the ink works) And I have 1 quart left over for whatever. Next year I plan to do a batch outdoors (cook the whole 8 hrs.) in a cast iron pot over the fire pit. DH found some rusty nails to put in the pot (they are supposed to darken the ink). One of my sisters has requested a sample of writing with the ink. So, today I am making bookmarks for several people. (stenciled with the ink) Next project will be quill pens from goose and turkey feathers.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:13:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Judith! Your explanation was very helpful. Can you post some of your bookmarks that you are making? I would be very interested in seeing them.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2011 :  11:28:14 AM  Show Profile
ROTFL! Judith, those are such sage words of advice! Hope your nose is back to it's normal color! I'd love to see your finished bookmarks is you get a chance to post a picture. What a neat gift those would make!

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  1:28:44 PM  Show Profile
Very cool! I'm allergic to black walnut or I'd try this, since we have a number of giant BW trees on our property.

I'm a huge fan of fountain and dip pens, so I have just a teensy warning: I wouldn't use this ink in a fountain pen, since it would clog up the works, probably irreparably unless you are (or know) a skilled repair person. It's perfectly okay for dip pens, though, as long as you clean the nibs thoroughly after use.

I would love to see something written with this ink. Do you think you could post a pic? I'll bet it's gorgeous :)
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2011 :  8:13:26 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. Well, I have been practicing with my ink. I think it is a lovely shade. I don't do calligraphy, but may try to learn. My hands have been shaky lately, so handwriting isn't pretty like it used to be. I have been trying to stencil bookmarks;but, the ink seeps under the stencil. I think I'll try to trace inside the stencil and then fill it in with the ink. Would like to make some for Christmas. So far, I am using dip pens since my next step will be to cut quill pens from turkey and goose feathers. I need to find some sand to heat the quills in. I'll post a pic as soon as I get a good bookmark. So far I have ruined six...(crying real tears here.) Rosemary, thanks for the advice re fountain pens. In the Spring I plan to pull some bloodroot growing in our woods to make ink (red) and dye.

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  08:39:30 AM  Show Profile
I laughed at the wiping your nose with the glove, but the whole ink making process sounds interesting.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

Relientkrazy
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Connie Jo
Portland OR
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2011 :  8:21:12 PM  Show Profile
Judith, I do calligraphy and would LOVE to see your ink and quills...I would even like to buy some or barter, if you would like to do so.

I can remember my dad getting husks off of walnuts. He would put them in burlap bags and run over them with the car several times. I remember his hands being black from taking the husks off.

Please let me know if you would like to sell or barter some! You can shoot me an email.

Thanks so much!

Connie Jo
Farmgirl 3640

Recyle, Reuse, Relove something old! Everything deserves a second chance!

Edited by - Relientkrazy on Dec 01 2011 8:21:55 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic important lesson learned while making walnut ink.. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page