Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 What to make for 5 yr old boy
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What to make for 5 yr old boy Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  4:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Howdy,
My sister is sole provider right now while her husband is going through chemo. I just found out about this yesterday. I would like to make a few Christmas gifts for her 5 year old son, out of fabric /supplies I already have. I am also working less for family reasons right now, so money is an issue for me, too.
Some ideas: sock monkey, pillowcase, pj pants, maybe a pair of slippers. Anyone have any other ideas of something that does not take much in the way of fabric/ supplies?
Mary LD

SheilaC
True Blue Farmgirl

1948 Posts

Sheila
Vermont
USA
1948 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  6:50:02 PM  Show Profile
the pillowcase is a great idea! :) How about bean bags?

http://troutwife.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop/brooktroutwife
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 16 2011 :  7:17:26 PM  Show Profile
a cape (superman). kids love to pretend to be superhero even if it is not halloween.
Go to Top of Page

sue5901
True Blue Farmgirl

122 Posts

Sue
Wellingborough
United Kingdom
122 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  02:24:20 AM  Show Profile
Bean bags are a good idea - I was thinking of dressing-up accessories, bandana's, tabards etc but the superhero cape is a great idea

Dance like nobody's watching!
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  05:36:23 AM  Show Profile
Great ideas! I forgot all about dress up! I once made a knight costume for my son, from a funny silver polyester thrift store vest. Bean bags- does it get any simpler? My son is 19, and I made tons of stuff for him over the years, but my emotional brain is obliterating my memory right now. I have a little sock monkey factory set up right now, making sock monkeys for Craft Hope. Hope to finish up today and start on nephew gifts. Keep the ideas coming, I love it! And maybe it will help others in need of ideas.

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

njaw09
True Blue Farmgirl

397 Posts

Annie
NJ
USA
397 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  05:42:42 AM  Show Profile
or strips of worn out t-shirts and wrap it as mummy, black-eye (one patch) with elastic as pirates, draw a map to look for treasure hunting, a blank (solid fabric) flag with fabric paint and let him draw anything he wants, use old sheets for teepee or tent (his own forte) so he can fill his little home with books, goodies to eat, ...
Go to Top of Page

Lessie Louise
True Blue Farmgirl

1406 Posts

Carol
PECULIAR MO
USA
1406 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  06:27:15 AM  Show Profile
This might be a good time to make him a teddy bear, sounds like things are rough in their household, that might be a comfort.

....it's what's inside a women, when she's up against the land.

Farmgirl #680!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/lessielouise22
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:06:19 AM  Show Profile
Tent 4 1x2 1 3/4 inch 48 in dowel drill the 1x2 to get a 3/4 inch hole slide the dowel in and throw a sheet over it use clothespins to attach it to the legs so it will stay put and yea a place all his own and he will Love it.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

http://pinterest.com/source/blogs.babble.com/

I haven't figured out how to get to a specific place but go to pinterest.com here and you will get LOTS of idea and for little or no money. You can search for a childs tent and I bet you have 100 different kinds come up. But the one I did was 2 8feet long 1x2 and 1 48 in dowel cut the 1x2 in half and drill the hole to hold the dowel thru all and insert dowel. Drap a thrift store sheet over and viola a tent.

Edited by - gramadinah on Nov 17 2011 07:17:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  07:09:53 AM  Show Profile
Help! I'm a little confused about how many and what size dowels!

Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  08:05:33 AM  Show Profile
how about cover-alls? my son loved those when he was young, I would tear apart old worn out blue jeans & make the cover-alls then add fun boy like fabric around the cuffs of the legs & pockets.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:48:21 AM  Show Profile
Michelle, did you just freestyle the pattern?

Mary LD

Go to Top of Page

Nanniekim
True Blue Farmgirl

206 Posts

Kim
Arizona
206 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  3:28:52 PM  Show Profile
I made my 5-year old grandson a rag quilt and he loves it.

Kim
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 18 2011 :  11:56:06 PM  Show Profile
At one time I had a pattern for easy boys cover-alls that I think was from mcCalls back in the 1970's but I would think doing a pear of simple pants & then using a creative free style pattern like for an apron front would work quite well.....Will have to think about that since I have a new grandson who is about 3 months old & will be making him clothes pretty soon..lol....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  6:23:51 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Mary, I came across this..... http://patternspot.com/products/1620 . An "I Spy" Bag. I bet your grandson would like it. You could make several with different themes. Good Luck!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic What to make for 5 yr old boy Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page