True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  10:58:00 AM  Show Profile
Here's what Frannie caused...

Her name is Minerva Louise, and she's the first doll I made. She's still nekkid, but her dress will be from the same fabric that's tied in her dreadlocks. I made her elbows and knees jointed.

and this too

For the last two weeks I've been making bodies. Here are the ones I've completed so far. First on the left is a coffe and cinnamon stained smaller body- I'm working on needle sculpturing her face... not sure how it will work. The big girl is Ruby Jewell (really know someone named that!), and I just got her body finished last night. I drew her from scratch, trying to figure out a body shape I like (she's triangled)... I like it but she's really big (27inches). She is also coffee and cinnamon stained, and I ironed her flat a little. I am trying to model her style after the big headed annies here www.sweetmeadowsfarm and here www.raggedyoldannies.com I really like the dolls on these sites. Sitting in Ruby's lap are two babies: the one with the rainbow colored dreadlocks is a prototype play doll I'm making for my youngest (and the under 4 crowd). I have embroidered her eyes (she looks like an alien though)so as to keep her play-safe. I got the simple pattern from a great book by Eloise Piper called Creating and Sculpting Dolls or something like that (she only has two books and they are both equally good). I'm trying to figure out a way to get her hair all over her head (on the back too), whereas I'm not so much worried about that with my prims or raggedies. And lastly, is the no-faced, one-limbed creaure moping around in Ruby's lap. I haven't gotten around to putting her other arm and her two legs on yet... will do that soon.

There's so many ideas with the dolls, and I'm loving every minute of this. If you want inspiration, search on primitive doll on ebay. Lots of talent out there.

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  11:48:32 AM  Show Profile
Arent they fun to make? good start there Kim, keep going and you will have a whole family .lol
Frannie will be proud!!!
shirley
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  3:32:32 PM  Show Profile
oh kim .. you go gurlfren .. you have dollies dancing in your heart and all around you! i love them! it pleases me so when others find that dolls are fun to make .. and it is still my very most favorite thing to do! made about a dozen of them in the last couple weeks! i also love that your name them after people you know and love.

try 'painting' some!! tea stain them first .. (you'll see why later) .. then wash down some acrylic paints and just 'slap it on' .. after it dries .. SAND .. yes ... SAND it .. in some places .. it will wear thin . .and this is where the tea STAIN (or RIT TAN DYE which is my personal favorite) .. will show .. and this is better than a blaring WHITE. love minerva louise and can hardly wait to see the dress you make for her. i'm SMILIN' real big here!!! xoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  3:46:51 PM  Show Profile

I'M DOIN' SOME HAND-SEWIN' THIS MORNING ... AND I HEAR A FAINT SOUND OF SINGING .. SO I GO TO THE FRONT PORCH .. AND HERE COMES WAFTING THROUGH THE AIR ... THE LYRICS OF ....
"GOD BLESS AMERRRRR-RI-CAAAAAA" ...

AND LO AND BEHOLD .. A LITTLE ORPHAN-CHILE IS AMBLING DOWN THE
ROAD HEADING TOWARD THE ORPHANAGE ... WITH HER HAND-DID FLAG WAVING .. AND SINGING A LITTLE OFF KEY .. BUT JOY TO MY EARS!

WANDA JUNE
dressed in a feedsack dress and holding her hand-did American Flag proudly whilst she pledges allegiance to the flag of the United States of America ....

==================================

Mattie Mae

I ADORE the very olde apron she is wearing
.. which was at sometime in history .. a dolly slip.

sometimes i wonder why my dollies look like they look.
since i don't use patterns .. i just pick up needle, thread, buttons
and they just seem to take 'form'.

elinor peace bailey (dollmaker extraordinnaire) once told
me that she believes artists work through their childhood memories
in their style of art.

elinor loves color and whimsey .. and she is quite a colorful character herself! i do adore her!!!
she told me that she believes that my style conjures up childhood 'nostalgia'.

xoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  3:54:03 PM  Show Profile

LuLu DeLaFalaise

Sister Frances Catherine of Sister Mercy's Foundling Home for Rag Chillun noticed a striking resemblance between LuLu and Wanda June and is gently asking questions of the two chilluns to ascertain as to whether or not their might not be a family connection.

Both girls are gentle of heart and love to sing. Both have indeed been caught sneaking extra cookies out of the cookie jar after Sister Theresa Ignatious has cleaned and cleared the pantry at night.
Both girls stay up well into the night talking and giggling under the covers with a flashlight and book of Nancy Drew Mysteries. Both arrived at the Orphanage within days of one another. BUT .. for now .. they are not telling!!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  3:56:45 PM  Show Profile
heading for OHIO in the morning for a fun weekend ... hope to see lots more dolly pictures posted by all you dolly-makers! What a fun pastime .. in the city or in the country! Try It! You'll Like It!!!

talk at ya'll on monday! xoxo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  4:29:42 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
real cute frannie GREAT JOB as always.
take care
sunshine

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
www.sunshines.etsy.com
http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/
http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  7:41:36 PM  Show Profile
Kim has definitely been bitten by the dollie-bug - oh dear, it doesn't go away and it itches! Have to scratch and scratch to satisfy that itch.
Babies are cute when they are nekked.
Frannie, love your rag chilluns - too much, they make me smile inside out. Love Mattie Mae's apron and flowerpot with the sunflower. Here's two of my latest creations (this is worse than eatin potatoe chips - gotta do other things!).
First one here is Ebony Topknot (she says she's a decendant of the medicine man from the Shobettershome native american tribe from somewhere in So. MO - but one can never be sure) On Ebony I did your pattern wrong Frannie - I cut out the pattern on the line and when I sewed it up I couln't figure out why it was so dern skinny! Her arms and legs remind me of the cigarettes that are long, brown and skinny - tipparillos maybe? I don't know, they sure were tuff to stuff! - but, she turned out fine.

second picture is of Gertrude Featheredhed - she is the goosegirl at the Respitorium, takes care of the gaggle of geese there. She has a staff with a carved goosehead on the top that she uses to keep the geese in line, but didn't get it in this picture.Hope you all like them. They are so fun to make, and each one turns out so different.

Thanks for sharing your photos! Hope you have a safe and fun weekend.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."

Edited by - OregonGal on Aug 17 2006 7:49:37 PM
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  7:43:26 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
fun fun fun

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
my web store www.sunshines.etsy.com my blog http://sunshinescreations.blogspot.com/ my google page http://sunshine.harbaugh.googlepages.com/home
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2006 :  9:26:23 PM  Show Profile
oh chris .. they are wonderful .. and you are a 'hoot' .. love the 'life' you have given to these chilluns!

to bed with me now .. haf'ta' get up early tomorrow morning to head for ohio!

have a good'un!!! xoxo

p.s. keep creatin' those dear dollies!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2006 :  03:50:14 AM  Show Profile
I love Gertrude! Reminds me of that line from one of the characters in Notting Hill: 'I don't have hair -- just feathers.' What a gal.
Go to Top of Page

newheart
True Blue Farmgirl

471 Posts

Margie
Owings Mills Maryland
USA
471 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  05:39:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh my Goodness.. I just happened on this doll site and fell in love... I have only ever made one doll called Apple Annie from a pattern from quilt store...but I am dressing myself up and going to store to look for a pattern right now....am also sending for one from Fran at Cabin Creek Farm.. fell in love with them also... So now I am doing yoyos for sunshine and dolls for me.........

newheart.....You know I just love this web site to the heavens..it offers so much.....
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2006 :  6:40:15 PM  Show Profile
How cute are these!!! You guys are so talented.

Lotion bars, linen spray, and purses in my online shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Read my ramblings at http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  12:15:56 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Newheart! Love your sign-on name.

"...a merry heart does good like a medicine, it has the power to cure."
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  7:56:21 PM  Show Profile
margie .. APPLE ANNIE is one of the very first dolls i created when i reeeeeeeely got into dolly making. i did NOT have a sewing machine at the time .. sooo .. she was completely hand-made .. and i also hand-sewed over a dozen dresses, aprons and pantaloons for her. my granddaughter would buy her 'fancy baby shoes' and other accessories. i still have her and all her clothes and other treasures .. that was about 18 years ago!!! xo, frannie

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

celebrate2727
True Blue Farmgirl

989 Posts

Beth
MJF Farmgirl
989 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2006 :  9:57:43 PM  Show Profile  Send celebrate2727 a Yahoo! Message
Mattie Mae just speaks to my heart, i hope she finds a marvelous home. You really know how to make a gurl look purty miz frannie.

blessings
beth

Dreaming of Friday Night Lights

http://blissnblossomfarm.etsy.com
http://bethsblissnblossomfarm.blogspot.com

www.blissnblossomfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  09:06:47 AM  Show Profile
thanks dearheart .. most of the chilluns have indeed found mommas already .. and i think miz mattie mae is whisperin' that she wants to stay here awhile. xoxo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Dollie Fever Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page