Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 growing a living fence, any help?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic growing a living fence, any help? Next Topic  

small graces
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Jennifer
Candor NY
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  2:36:28 PM  Show Profile
HI, I am planning our first living fence for our organic farm in Candor, NY. I am looking for plants that were recommended,and especially advice from others who have done this before. We are hoping to eventually fence our entire farm with living fencing. Plants we are looking for,
Osage Orange? What is this? Will it grow in NY.
Tagasaste? any knowledge?
dogwood,
hazel,
wisteria,
hornbeam,
willow,
sycamore,
I would love to buy these from other farmgirls, or barter, etc.
All of these plants were recommended in Mother Earth news,last year, but if you know they are not what I should be using, please let me know. I am looking for any and all kinds of comments, and plan to plant in Spring 2012. Thank you!

"Think about this day for a moment, Charlie Brown"... http://fmnfarm.blogspot.com/

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Nov 17 2011 :  12:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Osage Orange-never grew it but it grows very large, huge even. It does grow in NYS . It's a shrubby hedge, If you have the space it would make for a nice windbreak. They have bumpy fruit (not edible) some say the deter pests, some use as air freshener.

Wisteria is a climbing vine, again large, pretty but aggressive, hard to get rid of. If your planting it make sure it's where you really want it.

willows like to be near water but can grow in other places, generally grow quick

How big is this fence your planning on growing? How much maintenance?

Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2011 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile
You might consider also planting things that birds and other critters will enjoy. Mulberry bushes/trees grow fast. Ditto wild cherry (though be prepared for lots of them). All kinds of blackerry/red blackberry/raspberry bushes will provide shelter for animals and food for you. Check with your county agent or local native-plant society to avoid non-native species; many are unwelcome invasives. In our area, Russian Olive has become a terrible pest, though it is a very pretty tree. Don't forget evergreens for cold weather protection!

I would be careful with osage oranges. They do get huge, and if you don't pick up all the "oranges," they rot on the ground and smell awful. The oranges are really interesting-looking, though. I've never tried them for their reported anti-insect effect, but they can be displayed (for a while) in a basket, as a change from the usual apples and (citrus) oranges.

Be careful of willows too close to your house or drain field (if you have a septic system) because the roots will seek out water and get into your pipes/connector system etc. They belong near bodies of water.

Go to Top of Page

Stacy~Creativemuse
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stacy
Camarillo Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Hi Jennifer! How fun! I just read Toby Hemenway;s Gaia's Garden the homescalle guide to permaculture and it has several great suggestions for living fences, guilds etc. You also have some great Permaculturists in your area who can give you insight to a rain garden, swales (so you don't have to water, nature does). Rosemary's idea of birds helping you is in line with this as they are insect cullers,and free fertilizers.
Good luck!

Warmly,
Stacy~Creativemuse

Somewhere over the Rainbow is Right Here Right Now!
www.Creativemusewhereinspirationsflourish.blogspot.com
www.Creativemuse.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Clumboy
True Blue Farmgirl

62 Posts

Chris
Walkerton IN
USA
62 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  4:21:03 PM  Show Profile
i would definitely avoid non native wisteria (you are more likely to encounter non native ones in the ornamental trade). it is a VERY aggressive plant. will climb on and choke anything near it, can tear the roof off a building (happened here) and will runner underground and send up new plants a surprisingly long distance away from the mother plant. also since it is not native and would not enhance your ecosystem as a food source for insects/birds/mammals. there are some wisteria species native to this country, although i think they might be too tender to grow where you are. your list has some interesting choices--i would suggest you see if you can find your local soil and water conservation office and run this question by them. this kind of inquiry is right up their alley and here the folks are very friendly and helpful. they do a plant sale each year whereby you can purchase young plants for purposes like this for reasonable prices.
i see you don't have any conifers on your list. you might want to consider a native conifer. also--as to dogwoods--the native dogwood tree Cornus florida has been very badly impacted by anthracnose virus which was brought here on kousa dogwood from china. kousas are lovely members of this genus and are resistant to the virus they carried, and have some wildlife value for mammals. you might want to look at native shrubby dogwoods like yellow twig or red twig. red twig are lovely in winter. another exceptionally fine native plant is serviceberry--try to find a species native to your area. beautiful small tree, lovely in bloom in spring, colored up in fall, and edible fruit that tastes like blueberries to boot! there are also many viburnums that would fit this usage well. be sure to select one that is resistant to the newly introduced viburnum beetle. hope this is helpful. chris

not a boy--long story

Edited by - Clumboy on Nov 20 2011 4:27:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

small graces
True Blue Farmgirl

108 Posts

Jennifer
Candor NY
USA
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 25 2011 :  6:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everybody for all the great info, I am really looking forward to the fence. It is the first of many I hope, It will be a combo animal enclosure/snowbreak, so I didn't put them on the list, I only listed the ones I have questions for. I will leave the wisteria off, for sure, but the willow sounds perfect, since we have a wet property and could use some of it soaked up. I am still up for lots more advice!

"Think about this day for a moment, Charlie Brown"... http://fmnfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic growing a living fence, any help? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page