Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 pattern adaptation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pattern adaptation Next Topic  

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  05:36:12 AM  Show Profile
Howdy!
I am getting ready to trace a pattern from a multi-size pattern, with kid and adult sizes. I am making a pair of " riding sweatpants", which are more fitted than regular sweatpants and have knee patches for riding.

Here is my eternal pattern fit question. I wear a 2 petite. My waist is 27, hips 33. Sooooo may patterns with a 33 inch hip, have a 24 inch waist. NOT happenin'!
For the sweatpants, the XS waist is 22-24 ( too small), hips 32-34 (my size). For the size small, waist 26-28 ( my size), hips 36-38 (too big) I think I should use the XS size and make the waist bigger, but what is the best way to do this? Trace the size small to about the top of the hip area, then taper down into the size XS, or something like that?
Thanks for your input! I got some '80's sweatshirt fabric on Etsy- red with white polka dot hearts everywhere- and I have to dig out the ultraseude my friend gave me in the '90s. Cost of sweatpants, about $9 to make.

Mary LD

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  3:00:36 PM  Show Profile
Mary, that is what I would do. Is there a pocket in the design - that can make it a little more challenging. I would trace the pant with the proper hip size, then overlay it on the pattern with the proper waist size. Then trace the proper waist size and gradually bring the line out to match. The best way, is to take a measurement of yourself between the hip and waist (about half way) that way you can double check the pattern after it is traced to be sure you have enough ease (or not too much as the case may be) Have you made this pattern before? Many times there is quite a bit of ease built into a sweat pant pattern so I would check the actual pattern piece measurement against your measurement. You may not have to add as much as you think to have a proper fitting hip if there is a lot of built in ease in the pattern. Hope that helps.

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

motherhen
Chatroom Moderator

42 Posts

Henrietta
Moscow Idaho
USA
42 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  3:21:55 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mary,
Might want to try this method:
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/Recipes-Patterns-Instructions/pattern_enlargement.pdf
Go to Top of Page

MaryLD
True Blue Farmgirl

861 Posts

Mary
New Braunfels TX
USA
861 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Thanks you guys, these ideas will help a lot.
One of the main issues is that I can't STAND a tight waistband.
Sheri, I have made a lot of patterns calling for 24 inch waist, but , generally, not something I really want to move in. So I am excited to give this a try!
Mary LD

Haflingers- You can't have just one!
( I'm just one short of a drill team!)
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm/Sharpshooter

13620 Posts

CeeJay (CJ)
Dolores Colorado
USA
13620 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  06:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ceejay48 a Yahoo! Message
Mary,
I've used the MJ method from "motherhen" . . found it to work pretty well.
Good luck!
CJ

..from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado...sister chick #665.
Mother Hen: FARMGIRLS SOUTHWEST HENHOUSE

From my Hands - www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

the "Purple Thistle" http://www.ceejay48.etsy.com

From my Heart - www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com

Through my lens - http://ceejayscamera.shutterfly.com/

From my Hubby - www.aspenforge.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 15 2011 :  07:21:52 AM  Show Profile
I remember when I wore a 2 petite. I was on my own and ate a bowl of cereal and milk for dinner every night...sometimes with a banana. Now, my hubby does the cooking and he is really very good at it....no more size 2!!

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic pattern adaptation Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page