Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Veteran's Day--no poppies anymore?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Veteran's Day--no poppies anymore? Next Topic
Page: of 2

Missus Miranda
True Blue Farmgirl

285 Posts

Miranda
Thrall TX
USA
285 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  06:58:22 AM  Show Profile
Sue, thank you SO much for sharing that!

It makes me sad that we have a day in our federal government designated specifically for the veterans, and most people use it to have fun or do anything but remember why we're off work. I try to do something every year, even if it's something small. Two or three years ago, I reconnected with a friend from high school who is now a disabled vet. This year, I honored the man I love.

The idea of having two minutes of silence, and that tradition being SO important that it is a horrendous faux pas to break it, is absolutely beautiful to me!

I feel sad that we've lost a lot of our own culture in America. Not trying to down my country at all, as I love it, but we often say things like "never forget", and we forget. September 11 was supposed to be officially decreed as Patriot day, but the only calendar I have seen that mentioned on since 2003 is the one sent by the USO every year. I hear people talk about getting back to the basics as they stare at the screen of their iPhone. And doing the right thing is something people just don't have time for. I think that is why I am so happy to see all of you wonderful ladies here!

As much as some of us like to give our friends in Britain a hard time, (this, and my mother is actually a descendent of British aristocracy) I think we could take something from what you have shared with us! It's quite humbling!

Farmgirl 3535
Pflugerville, TX
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Miranda,

Thank you for sharing

I'll remember all these for sure in years to come
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Veteran's Day--no poppies anymore? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page