KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  04:34:01 AM  Show Profile
The Coyotes around my house are getting abundant! Saturday one snatched up my poor yorkie and killed her! She was just let outside for a minute to potty! I can't believe they have the nerve to get so close to my house! Do you all have any ideas how to remedy this problem, I know I can shoot them, but how do I figure out their paths and travel routes? any and all ideas welcome!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  04:46:53 AM  Show Profile
You'll see trails on your property. Look for scat with fur and tiny bones(mice) Look for low branches that are bent or broken. If you lay a patch of sand where you think they are, you will be able to look at the tracks. In some states it's legal to hunt coyotes at night, and out of regular hunting season. Find out to protect yourself, then get night vision.

Sorry about the loss of your companion.

Make cupcakes not war!

Edited by - one_dog_per_acre on Nov 09 2011 04:49:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  06:21:14 AM  Show Profile
I know this might sounds yucky but it works collect urine from the members in your house and then run a line around your area in which you want them to stay out of.. If you have boys or men they love this - trust me it works... I am so sorry for your loss... Hugs and blessings

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Sweet_Tea
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

Tara
Newberry SC
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:00:29 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I killed about 12 yotes last year...
Here is how i did it..
I went and camped out in the tree line, got a ipod hooked it up to a speaker and played these calls on repeat..
http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#Calling
now, get a red light spotlight, because they can't see the red light, and search the field for their green glowing eyes..

They were taking down my calves.. which isn't as bad as a dog.
but there is a siren in the middle of that sequence of calls.. and they will all howl when they are around..
they don't' come back every night.. they have like a 5 mile loop that they do..
but, just set up every night and wait for them..
it was my mission in life last year to take them out... then the ones you kill, you can use as bait for the next night.. and, I'd hang them from a tree limb.. they will gather around and try to get the meat..

nasty little animals they are..
Oh and they have been breeding with wolves, so now they are hunting in packs..
We had a cattleman's meeting on that last fall...

i was shooting them with an AR-15..
you can get night vision scopes and all... become the coyote killer of killers :)

It was so bad last year.. that my husband and I were walking through the herd and there were 3 of them circling the cows and running them.. that was the last straw we started shooting every night from there on out.. our best hunting was at dusk when they start moving about again..

Farmgirl Sister #2974
~ http://notsosweettea.blogspot.com/

"The air of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears"
Go to Top of Page

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:06:40 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, that's horrible. I hate that they killed your little dog. They must be really running out of food to be coming right up to homes now. I hear them out here sometimes late at night but only for a few minutes then they are gone again. I've heard of people having sheep and chickens killed by them. But so far I have been fortunate to not have that happen. I have electric fence out back where my goats are and they stay right next to the house most of the time. Some of my chickens that don't go in the coop at night roost on the fence but it's close to the house too. And my sheep are pretty much protected too. I hope you get rid of them all soon. Get your guns out and ready.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:30:00 AM  Show Profile
oh i am soooo sad for you. my heart would be broken forever if i lost my yorkie. i am sad for you. i would want to hunt them down and KILL them too. i know they have a right to live. NOT here. sounds like a real job to get rid of them. i hope you can. sending hugs to you for your loss. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

oldbittyhen
True Blue Farmgirl

1511 Posts

tina
quartz hill ca
USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  07:55:46 AM  Show Profile
yard lights, barking dogs, if you have fences use coyote rollers on top rails, motion detector water sprays, there are many non-lethal ways to keep them back if thats the way you want to go...in the 40 plus years I've lived here, I have never lost to coyotes (and I have lots of them here), but I have lost lots to dogs. Many years ago , several ranchers in my area decieded to kill every coyote they could find, blameing them for everything, when it was all said and done, they were then taken over by jacks , cottentails, ground squrials and other rodents, then they were trying to figure out how to bring the coyotes back, it took 10 yrs to make a healthy count again and realized that breaking down the eco-system was not a good idea.Please keep your pets safe, put them on a leash when you take them out at night, and stand there with them, have bright lights on when you do...

Tara, sorry to say that the coyotes are NOT crossing with wolves in your area or any area, they are enemys, they do not mix, and coyotes form family packs naturaly. I am not argueing with you, but you were mis-informed, like so many are regarding wolves, all predators are an importent assett to the eco-system, so please don't get caught up in the big bad wolf statements by some that do not know what they are talking about...
And just so you all know, if a coyote or any animal comes onto my property and goes after my pets or livestock, they are historys!!!

"Knowlege is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
Go to Top of Page

Megan
True Blue Farmgirl

155 Posts

Megan
Hudson South Dakota
USA
155 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:22:33 AM  Show Profile
i cant have any guns on our place my husband is on parol, but my dad showed us how to set snares and conabear traps to get them. lastwinter i had coyote about 100 ft from my door, they take down our geese and ducks,good luck hunting them down.

www.rockriverexoticsandkennel.net
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  09:42:04 AM  Show Profile
How awful! I was always afraid one would get my Hobbs when we moved on our land. For that reason he never went out without me or DH going with him. In our old hometown (suburbs of Denver) coyotes were menacing walkers all over the metro area! It wasn't until a mother walking with her small child got bit by one that municipalities started to take action! I say do what ever you can to keep them away from your land.

{{{{hugs for your loss}}}}

Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  12:50:17 PM  Show Profile
I did this & it has helped big time get on line & look for tiger/lion urine that they sell in bottles....its a bit costly but you can spray it around your property...I spray it on the metal finces...bottom of shop, big rocks ect to keep the fishercats, dogs ect away from my chickens.....you have to repeat it if it rains but I have a bottle now for 2 years & still have enough for a good few years....it really doesn't smell so you won't think you have big jungle cats out peeing everywhere in your yard but it will help with the coyotes....I have heard that spraying it on towels, fabric ect & tying those to trees also will help.....good luck dear hen & I am so sorry for your lose....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

KellyWall
True Blue Farmgirl

336 Posts

Kelly
Apison Tn
USA
336 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2011 :  4:01:16 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your comments.... We have been hearing the yelping evening about 30 min. after dark... so scary! I plan to take action as soon as I figure the paths they take. Thank you all for the advice!

Kelly #238

May your bobbin always be full...
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  12:51:11 AM  Show Profile
I am with Grace. Feed your man lots of red meat and beer and send him out with more beer to pee along your entire boundary line you want the 'yotes to stay out of. This has worked on us for coyotes, bears, wolves, lions, etc. The smell of large carnivorous male's urine is a HUGE deterrent to competition.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  03:49:03 AM  Show Profile
Go online and buy a game camera trap

Make sure it has a time stamp on it, that way you can see when the coyotes pass through

Or if you have access to a hunting store, go buy one there. Ask a sales rep to assist. They range from very inexpensive to extremly expensive depending on the features you need.

We ae going to get one for home security.

Mid range is about 120.00
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:08:49 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh My Gosh! How terrible! Your poor little dog! I guess I didn't realize what a problem coyotes are...

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399

Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful.
Go to Top of Page

Lieberkim
True Blue Farmgirl

839 Posts

Kimberly
Sunnyside WASHINGTON
USA
839 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  07:26:11 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss.

Excuse the mess & the noise, my children are making happy memories
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  07:39:56 AM  Show Profile
wondering how you are today? have you figured anything out?

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

mamalindalu
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Linda
Priest River Id.
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  10:02:58 AM  Show Profile
Hello Kelly,
We too have trouble with coyotes here in North Idaho and hear them "sing" at night.
We live on a 10 acre farm with chickens and turkeys. I have two large dogs that have kept them at bay so far. It has gotten so that neighbors all watch out for eachothers kids and dogs out here.
I am going to tell every one about and we are going try the pee thing around the chickens.
Thank you to all the sisters for being here for questions and answers.

Recognize that no one is responsible for your life but you.~
Oprah Winfrey

Mamalindalu
Sister #3576
Go to Top of Page

RedHoopWoman
True Blue Farmgirl

513 Posts

Kathryn
Yoder Colorado
USA
513 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  2:44:34 PM  Show Profile
Kelly that is terrible to lose your dog and your chickens,seems like they are really pressuring your place,I usually deal with coyotes depending on how much they seem to be hunting near my place,in our current place we have not had any problems with them but we have a good dog who shoots after them like he's shot out of a canon when he sees them and he sprays around the place,marking everywhere to let them know he's on patrol.
I have alot of respect for coyotes but I have sure shot my share of them and even hunted them at night with a night scope if I have one or several that is habitually coming back to my place and feasting.
Coyotes are very sophisticated,if you see a set of tracks,keep in mind that doesn't always mean a single coyote but that they will actually step into eachother's tracks while traveling in perfect rhythm with one another,I think that's pretty cool.
Coyotes have also survived alot of the pressure put on them because studies have shown that when coyotes are hunted and trapped extensively in an area that thier reproductive rates actually rise to compensate for the pressure put on them so it would take a grand effort to hunt or trap them out entirely in an area,not saying that it can't be done but it's amazing how nature can compensate for our pressure,I believe in the principle of "when man builds a better mousetrap,nature builds a better mouse" and the coyote is a great example of this.
Anyways,I would use predator deterrents such as a dog ( a bigger one :) that has good guarding instincts ,urine marking (any big predator from human to lion urine) and motion lights and if you decide to hunt them,go to them,following tracks and scat,keeping in mind that thier tracks are neat and precise while a dog's mark has wings or skids.
I hope you can get this problem resolved,there's always tough choices on a farm,I have alot of respect for predators but I do kill them at times because I am responsible for the animals under my care and protect them to the best of my abilities,if nature gets the drop on me I don't get hateful about it,I just try to do better next time so there's a time to kill and a time to live and let live,coyotes are amazing creatures but sometimes selectively killing them is one of the only options you have if you're being burdened with alot of predator kills on your place,good luck to you,sorry for your loss.

"Today's Mighty Oak is just Yesterday's Nut"
Go to Top of Page

Apache Lady
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Erika
La Puente California
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  1:58:02 PM  Show Profile
This is getting to be a growing problem in our ares. Housing tracts are encroaching on wildlife and coyotes are opportunistic hunters. An easy meal is just that. There was a recent issue with coyotes running around a retirement community during the day time. One even grabbed an elderly womans dog while she was out walking and it was on a leash. I enjoy coyote hunting, but they're getting smart to the calls. Plus the coyotes are moving into the cities, we can't hunt in the city.
I'm sorry for you loss, I would have been devastated as I know you are.
Go to Top of Page

hoosiercountry
True Blue Farmgirl

572 Posts

karla
north port fl
USA
572 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  4:19:49 PM  Show Profile
I had read years ago where some sheep ranchers were using music to keep coyotes at bay. I'm guessing with population growth and their being in cities, music is not useful anymore?
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Coyotes Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page