True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  6:38:32 PM  Show Profile
EPIC FAIL!
Had a jar that fell on the floor, so kept it in the fridge just in case. The seal was still in tact (nice loud pop when I opened it), but the meat inside smelled absolutely horrible. We dumped it outside where the local scavengers could get it. I told my husband to just take the other jars and put them out in the trash on Tuesday.

I am so frustrated and discouraged tonight (tears). $90 on the canner, $15 for the jars, 5 organic-from-the-farmer chickens, 3 boxes of organic chicken stock. All that time and energy. I have been trouble shooting in my head all evening, and I have no idea what I did wrong. Was is because the jars were cooling before I could get them in the canner? Should I have been more of a risk taker and just gone with raw (instead of cooked) meat? I could only get my pressure to sit at 13 pounds instead of the 11 (or the pressure would fall to less than 10). Was it really too much pressure?

I just feel so stupid. It's boiling water - how hard can it be?!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog: http://www.suburbanprairiehomemaker.com
and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  7:57:20 PM  Show Profile
Ann
I can meat all the time & when you smell it, it smells similar to other canned meats (have you smeLled canned chicken from the store?) It does not smell like a freshly baked chicken, but once it is reheatED & incorporated into a recipe, it should be fine.
If it was canned at tHe proper temperature, & the seals were good, it is probably OK.
When I open mine, I sniff it for a rotten smell, & then dump it into whatever I am cooking at the time.
I recently canned some chickens that were about a year old from the freezer & I know we have had at least 5 meals from them so far, including some Asian soup, casseroles etc. & I am still here to type aboput it!
I think your chicken is probably OK, especially if the seal is good, & you canned it at proper temp & time
Go to Top of Page

alterationsbyemily
True Blue Farmgirl

686 Posts

Emily
Thomasville PA
USA
686 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2012 :  7:58:49 PM  Show Profile
Ann, I understand your feelings. I have only been able to can beef stew once last year, but this year I cannot get anything to pressure can. Spaghetti sauce, potatoes, even BBQ sauce have failed. All of the jars have tons of food under the rim and the oils leak out of the jars and make a mess inside the canner. It is very dicouraging at times, but have faith, you will get it.

---
Farmgirl #2951
No longer renting, offical farmgirl.
Check out my new blog at http://featheredhattrading.blogspot.com/
And my new Etsy listings http://www.etsy.com/shop/alterationsbyemily
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2012 :  05:05:11 AM  Show Profile
Lisa, this was no canned meat smell. It was definitely a rotten smell. It knocked me back when I opened the jar, and I have hardly any sense of smell.

Emily, thanks for your encouragement.

I think this is going to be one of those things I'm going to have to let go. I just can't afford to keep trying if it only is going to end in disaster.

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 teenagers, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

and follow me on Facebook (Suburban Prairie Homemaker), Twitter (@sphomemaker), and Pinterest (Suburban Prairie Homemaker)

Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  07:14:32 AM  Show Profile
Sorry to hear about the failure. It hurts me, too, even with veggies. I've never canned meat myself. I guess that's why even our grandmothers started going to groc. stores because of the failures they never told us about. It hurts even more during hard times. Personally, I'd rather freeze meat anyway (that is if I had a deep freeze). Quick story to share: back in the 60's when my dad and uncles were in Viet Nam, my grandfather shot a deer. My grandmother and he butchered it. She canned it and sent it to my dad and uncles over seas. Talk about a well travelled deer. From Maine to Viet Nam. Pretty cool, ya think?

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  07:30:13 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Lorena! What a great story! I'm surprised the jars made it all that way safe and sound...

I may pick up a can of chicken at the store, and compare it with the smell of one of the remaining jars (trash day is Tuesday), based on Lisa's suggestion. If the remaining jars smell the same, then I know they are safe. Certainly a can of chicken at the store is way cheaper than throwing out the whole batch! I think going forward that I'll know what a safe smell is. I was just really surprised that this old nose that can't smell much anymore got knocked back a good 2 feet, with a very loud "Whoa!"

Anyway, thanks to all my sisters for all your encouragement.

If that's the case, I'll try some raw chicken breasts.

Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2881 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2881 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2012 :  12:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Ann
Another test for a good seal is to pick up the jar by just the lid. If the seal stands up to the weight of the jar & its contents, it should be OK.
I just can't imagine that your meat would have rotted overnight. & the smell of my canned chicken is a bit offputting when opened, but loses that in the cooking.
One other recommendation, & I have canned for many years & have many books, but the Jackie Clay canning book is the best one there is.
This gal lives off grid & does IT ALL
Her book has recipes for everything (along with telling you how to raise it , kill it, gut it , skin it, & THEN can it)
I literally do not even look at my other books anymore.
Anyway, good luck & I hope you do not get too discouraged.
I love to freeze things too, but in the case of a power outage, which we have so many of, I know my canned meat is OK, & not thawing down the drain.

Edited by - nubidane on Mar 25 2012 4:08:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2012 :  1:32:57 PM  Show Profile
Another good canning book is the Ball Canning book.

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2012 :  06:09:39 AM  Show Profile
So Hubby picked up a can of chicken at the store the other day. One day this week, we are going to have a "smell-off" to see if what's in the jars is same as/worse than chicken in the can. Then we will know for sure...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canning Chicken - EPIC FAIL Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page