Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Melissa
Pineville North Carolina
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:52:13 PM  Show Profile
Hello!

My friend is getting married this coming year and she's asked me for help on getting ideas for flowers. It will be a hindu ceremony so she needs to decorate the arbor-like structure that's part of it and also the reception tables. But she's on a budget and doesn't really like the thought of killing a bunch of flowers for her wedding.

She'd love to have some greenery, or even grow flowers (I would do this part for her as I live in her hometown right now). The wedding will be either in June or August. What would be some easy/good flowers to grow for those seasons that grow and flower fast and aren't too much trouble? I'd hate to commit to growing them and then be unsuccessful.

Anyone have any suggestions for what I could grow and/or a good resource for obtaining flowers or plants cheaply? I'm going to check the local greenhouses but I know you ladies always have a ton of good ideas.

Melissa

http://checkeredchickens.blogspot.com/

They sicken of the calm that know the storm.-unknown

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:55:20 PM  Show Profile
Cheap and easy is mums, not much of a wedding flower though.....hmmm....

You know what I would call your local country extension office, and 4H they will probably know what grows best in your area, especially for the money, etc.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on Nov 06 2011 4:56:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

kairosdreaming
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Melissa
Pineville North Carolina
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:58:20 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, I didn't even think about calling them. I'll have to try to find a number. For reference, I'm in Central-Northern Ohio.

Melissa

http://ifithaswords.blogspot.com/

They sicken of the calm that know the storm.-unknown
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

3602 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
3602 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile
We attended a wedding where zinnias were the main focus. They were a tall variety and multicolored, Simple and elegant.

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

SKVining
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Sandra
Beaverton Mi
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  8:09:23 PM  Show Profile
Plant a mass amount of baby breath It grows quickly and is a wonderful light and airey look Plus fills in a lot of space easily Depends were you live Oh Ohio not bad if you plant early May watch it careful at first for frost Then baby it along and you will have a great base .... Seven sister roses is another that you can fill in with They do not last long so you would do your roses the morning of.... Plus if you need more color add every thin ribbon in light color Often can fine it on e Bay by the bolt for next to pennys a yard Go to a really good greenhouse and buy a hugh sringride plant grows hugh I put mircle grow on it each watering by May move it out side and watch it grow into a hugh mass THen at wedding time you have more greens then you will ever need I have greens in the house growing all the time you can do wonder with it Blessing to you Sandra
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4745 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4745 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:38:11 PM  Show Profile
My boss is Hindu and she said red and white are the traditional colors for a Hindu wedding ceremony. She also said that she used mostly carnations and they held up beautifully. Her sister used roses when she got married and they wilted after two hours. The Hindu weddings are very long affairs, so something hearty and can last is what you want to go with.

Have fun planning the wedding!
Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  1:46:40 PM  Show Profile
Sometimes bulb flowers, like tulips, do better after that are killed, as long as you leave a leaf or two.

My idea is LED lights, ivy, and deco mesh.

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

Stacy~Creativemuse
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stacy
Camarillo Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  12:50:27 PM  Show Profile
There are some Very Lovely Weddings with Succulents(will last so long) Great varieties easy to propagate friends love to share! you can harvest local greenery too.ie Boxwood,silvery eucalyptus
daisies,Herbs are fabulous! Rosemary,sage,Lavender,Grains amarranth,wheat many options!
the carnations and zinnias are great suggestions!

Warmly,
Stacy~Creativemuse

Somewhere over the Rainbow is Right Here Right Now!
www.Creativemusewhereinspirationsflourish.blogspot.com
www.Creativemuse.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Wedding Flowers Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page