queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  3:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Ok. Your dog has run off and has come back 6 hours later covered in skunk spray and what ever else he/she rolled in. Wet dog down. lather with Dawn dish soap. Add baking soda and make a paste. scrub in. Add vinegar (doesn't matter if it's white or apple). scrub in foamy mix. let sit for 10-15 min. Add peroxide. Scrub again. Rinse well. Make sure you put some petrolum jelly around your dogs eyes so that nothing gets in them. this is an actual recipe from a chemist who broke down the chemical make up of skunk spray and found what would remove it.

Lorie

Patience is worth a bushel of brains...from a chinese fortune cookie

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:21:13 PM  Show Profile
Sounds like a very effective solution to a smelly situation!!! LOL!!!! I do hope that I never need to try it though.

Jan

Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Sheep Mom 2
True Blue Farmgirl

1534 Posts

Sheri
Elk WA
USA
1534 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  5:02:52 PM  Show Profile
I have used a variation of that without the vinegar and it does work well. Nothing worse than skunk on a dog...

Blessings, Sheri

"Work is Love made visible" -Kahlil Gibran

http://farmsteadfripperies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  05:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
This is going into my recipe file so I can find it again. Thanks, I hope I don't need to use it either.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  09:46:16 AM  Show Profile
Lorena, that is a really cool mixture. Okay for daytime, but what if the dog comes home at 2 a.m. after carousing with the skunk. I don't particularly want to get up and make this time-consuming mixture. Think I will use the tomato stuff and then do the rest in the morning! My dog sleeps with me, so hope she never has a skunk problem.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  09:25:49 AM  Show Profile
Leave the dog in the barn or shed and do it in the morning.

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile
My daughter owned a dog grooming shop and they used this recipe with great success. I would not have wanted to be the person bringing the dog in to the shop though. I can't imagine what their car smelled like.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ACharmingExperience
Go to Top of Page

gypsy farmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

28 Posts

Susan
Dublin OH
USA
28 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2011 :  6:38:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for the recipe Queenmushroom. I've added it to my files.
I'd like to suggest:
Waiting is not a good idea:
from what I've read, ASAP is the key...and for those wanting to use the traditional tomato juice rinse..it is said, water and soap first immediately and then rinse with tomato juice for effectiveness.

We have just moved again...(gypsy part) and have skunks living in the neighborhood. The first thing neighbors brought to us as "newbies" in the area was info on skunks! Mind you, we're in suburbia for this house. Everyone's been asking me if my dog has been sprayed yet....seems he's one of a few who hasn't... knock on wood :)

Gypsy Farmgirl

Edited by - gypsy farmgirl on Nov 10 2011 6:41:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2011 :  5:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so much for this one. This has come up for me a few times. I have five dogs and about four others come by and visit regularly, so an occasional close encounter with a skunk is unavoidable. :(

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

queenmushroom
True Blue Farmgirl

985 Posts

Lorena
Centerville Me
USA
985 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2011 :  12:21:50 PM  Show Profile
I'm a former vet tech. This was discovered while I was working in a vet clinic in Kennebunk Maine. It works wonders. My dog hasn't been sprayed...yet, but has come back smelling like he's rolled in a bears den. It works on that too.

Go to Top of Page

Lexi Lavender
True Blue Farmgirl

92 Posts

Lexi
Bangor Maine
USA
92 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2012 :  10:11:13 PM  Show Profile
Speaking of Maine, our dog Roxy has learned to avoid skunks like the terror they are... My husband walks her at night when he gets home from work, usually around 1 or 2 am so they often see a skunk. The first summer in our current house they woke me up several times to a reeking house "Lexi we need your help - we got sprayed."

Anyway, we mix about 3 cups or so Hydrogen peroxide with 1/2 cup baking soda and 1 tbsp of dish soap. He bathes her in the shower with half that mixture, then bathes her in vinegar, then uses the other half of the mixture. The vinegar neutrals the pH of the skunk spray. It really takes care of the smell amazing well.

After the first few times we had quite a routine down, but my dog now has a new command in her repetoire "Roxy, no skunk." I swear, she looks quite guilty when someone says this to her :}

Silverweed-Alexis...Farmgirl#4034

A weed is just a plant that no one has found a use for yet...
Go to Top of Page
  HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Skunky dog shampoo recipe... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page