Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Had to say goodbye to our dog today.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Had to say goodbye to our dog today. Next Topic  

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  5:57:04 PM  Show Profile
Yesterday afternoon, our sweet 16 year old beagle named Sinatra was fine. By 10:00, he could no longer move his back legs. I carried him out to do his business and carried him back in. I tucked him on the dog bed and he just kind of fell over. Mostly unresponsive. I stayed with him until a little after 1:00 in the morning, thinking he would perk up. Then I went up to bed. A little before 6:00am, my other dog woke me up and ran down to Sinatra. He had blood in his diarrhea (sorry, if tmi) and he hadn't moved away from it. Got him outside and cleaned up then wrapped him in a warm blanket. I knew where this was going and as tears were streaming down my face, I called my dad to come stay with my younger boys.

My husband is out of town so my 11 year old son went with me to the vets. It was horrible having to make this decision and then having to explain to my son why. Then, coming home and the younger boys asking where Sinatra was.

Just a horrible day all around...

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2900 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:21:24 PM  Show Profile
Wendy
There is nothing like an old beagle, & one named Sinatra, well that could only mean he was the finest.
I am a Dane gal, & always thought of naming a Dane Sinatra, & AKC name "Chairman of the Board"
But a beagle, well they just kind of know who they are don't they???
Prayers to you and yours.
Go to Top of Page

YakLady
True Blue Farmgirl

652 Posts

Natalie
Montana
USA
652 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:29:05 PM  Show Profile
I'm sorry for the loss of your friend, Sinatra. I hope your family is able to remember him fondly and recover from this loss in due time.

~Natalie~ Just a farmgirl in Western Montana. http://mtnme.blogspot.com
Starting a family and raising Tibetan Yaks, Nigerian Dwarf Goats, Laying hens, Muscovy ducks, and a few dogs.
Go to Top of Page

J.F. Brown
True Blue Farmgirl

130 Posts

Jamie
Beaverton OR
USA
130 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  6:30:11 PM  Show Profile
Oh, so sorry! Hugs and thoughts with you.
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  7:39:19 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry Wendy for your loss - this has been a horrible week for our sweet four legged furry family members. It is never easy to be the one to make the decission and then to also be the one to break it to the kids - I have been in that position far too many times so my heart is with you along with my tears. Please know I am standing with you and send love and light to you and your family.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.artfire.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  8:41:32 PM  Show Profile
Oh I'm just so sorry! I've had to lose a lot of my furbabies, and its never ever easy, especially when they've been with you so long, your children probably can't remember a time with out Sinatra. Our old Basset is going on 18, and we just know that she can't be with too much longer and we are dreading the day when she slips away.

They are always part of our hearts and forever in our memories.

Warm hugs and love!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  9:03:07 PM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Oh Wendy...I am so sorry you and your family had to go through this. I will be praying for your family.

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  05:20:29 AM  Show Profile
Wendy,
I am so sorry for your loss. I found this today, it's about a family losing a dog and their son's response.

Shane the little boy seemed to accept Belker’s transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker’s death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, “I know why.” Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I’d never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, “People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life – like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?” The six-year-old continued, “Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don’t have to stay as long."

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Don't go with the flow...you are the flow.

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:21:17 AM  Show Profile
wendy; your family is wrapped in my hugs today. i have been there and done that and it never is easy...bless you

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:45:28 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Wendy! I am so sorry for your loss! We lost our beloved Sky-Dog a few months ago. It is always to soon to say goodbye. My heart goes out too you!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
www.allergyjourneys.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:50:55 AM  Show Profile
grace is right it has been a few weeks of hard choices for a lot of farmgirls. i am so sorry for your family. very sad when they leave us. sending support and love to you. sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

sherrye
True Blue Farmgirl

3775 Posts

sherry
bend in the high desert oregon
USA
3775 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  06:56:10 AM  Show Profile
wendy i am in oregon. where are you located? sherrye

the learn as we go silk purse farm
farm girl #1014
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  07:00:06 AM  Show Profile
Wendy:
I am so sorry. Hugs to you and your children. I'll keep all in my prayers.
Marly

"It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had." Elisabeth Kurler-Ross
Go to Top of Page

musicmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Wendy
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  07:05:54 AM  Show Profile
Aw, thank you all so much for the kind words. Yesterday was rough. This was my husbands first dog and he picked him out as a puppy so he's really having a rough time. And Christian, my son, cried himself to sleep. I hate feeling so helpless to fix things for my boys, but I know this is an experience they need to go through as they are all animal lovers.

You all are the greatest!

One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.
Bob Marley

www.becomingwendy.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  08:01:14 AM  Show Profile
Wendy so sorry to hear about Sinatra's passing. There is nothing like a beagle warming your toes at the end of the bed on a cold winter night. Ours was Poobah. She was the Grand Poobah of the house. She's been gone for nearly ten years, but I miss her sweetness so much. Hugs to you and your family.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  09:54:57 AM  Show Profile
Wendy, I have tears streaming down my face as I type this. I share your pain as we lost our poor sweet boy on Thursday. No matter how old they are or how sick they become it's never easy to say goodbye. Know you gave him the best life and made the best decision for him.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Audrey

Good boy Hobbs! I love and miss you.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  1:53:05 PM  Show Profile
Wendy,

I am SO SORRY for your loss!!! It sounds like Sinatra lived a long and good life. He'll be in your hearts forever!

Hugs, Karin
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  2:20:54 PM  Show Profile
Dear hen i am so sorry for you & your family lose....but am so thankful your buddy was not alone when it was his time to go.....I know the pain is still fresh but I want you to know I am thinking of you & know my sweet girl Hayley is there to greet & play with your baby so he is alright.....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

magnoliakathy
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Kathryn
Magnolia Texas
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  08:00:50 AM  Show Profile
Huggs and sympathy for you and your family in this time of sorrow. Our begale Pheets the Phrist lived to the ripe old age of 10 1/2 and just went to sleep in his favorite spot, 13 years ago, still miss that happy beagle face and bass voice.

When you free your mind your heart can fly. Farmgirl # 714,
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2011 :  5:32:54 PM  Show Profile
So sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is. My thoughts are with you.

Jennifer
Farmgirl Sister #104

"Nature brings to every time and season some beauties of its own".
-Charles Dickens
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2011 :  05:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
Diane, what a lovely and comforting story. It brought tears to my eyes when I read it. Thank You!

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Had to say goodbye to our dog today. Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page