True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls -

I'm babysitting two creative, artsy-crafty young girls after school who just love to read and do crafts. Instead of just coloring pictures with them, I'd really like to make neat little Jesse Tree ornaments with them out of all sorts of different materials. Do any of you have any suggestions or neat ideas you'd be willing to share? Or would you possibly be able to recommend a really cool, creativity inspiring website for this? Or perhaps recommend your family's favorite Jesse Tree story and/or craft book? I'm so excited to do this with them!

Thanks so much!

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  05:08:05 AM  Show Profile
Not to sound out of the loop but what exactly is a "Jessie tree"?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  05:51:48 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lea! Oh! It's a wonderful way to celebrate the advent of Christ's birth. Isaiah 1:1 says, "A shoot will spring forth from the stump of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots." Named after this Scripture, the Jesse tree is basically a little tree or branch decorated with different handmade ornaments which unfold God's promises and salvation history each day during the Advent season. Beginning with the first Sunday of Advent and right up through Christmas Day, each new ornament placed on the branch represents a Biblical event from Creation (for example, Adam & Eve) through the Birth Of Christ (typically, a baby in a manger). Usually the ornaments are handmade or drawn or colored by children and their families. While making the ornaments, and subsequently while placing them on the tree (usually a branch from outside rather than an actual tree), the family recalls the story behind the ornament and reads the corresponding Scripture. It's truly a beautiful way to help believers connect the promises of God and His faithfulness to the true meaning of Christ's birth. It brings our 4000 years of salvation history brightly to life! We usually start with a leafless branch (stuck in a pot filled with either styrofoam or sand, etc.) as a symbol of God's promise of hope in Isaiah 1:1, and then with each ornament we add each day, we read the corresponding Scripture and discuss its meaning with respect to the anticipation of the arrival of Messiah - Jesus Christ. Throughout the Advent season, the tree transforms into a beautiful symbol of Christ, who is the revelation of grace, love and faithfulness of God to all generations. You can find a list of the Scriptures and symbols associated with the ornaments online by just typing "Jesse Tree" into your search engine prompt. I think you'll really love this! I especially love how it helps us to focus on Jesus - the true meaning of the Christmas season. Think of it as a Scriptural Advent calendar celebration! :) When my son was younger, he just wasn't into crafts at all, so I drew little ornament shaped pictures and as he colored them, we'd talk about what they meant and how each pointed to Christ. I cherish them to this day! But now that these two little crafters have entered our lives, I am REALLY looking forward to handcrafting ornaments with them! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 04 2011 06:47:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  06:51:56 AM  Show Profile
I've never heard of it before either! I read it to my girls and they have insisted that they must have one as well.

I have decided to let them hang the ornaments on the tomato cage in the living room. We are growing a winter tomato so it could use some decoratin for the holidays!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  07:26:06 AM  Show Profile
Oh! That'll be sooo cute, Angela! You'll have to post pictures!!! I will, too! I just have to figure out what to do for the ornaments. I can be pretty crafty and creative, but for some of them, I could use some help with ideas! What fun! Let me know how you make out, okay? Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  5:54:05 PM  Show Profile
http://stumblesandstitches.blogspot.com/2011/07/christmas-in-july-little-birds-garland.html

I don't know how old the little ladies are Nini, but these little birds from felt are very sweet and make me think of the dove of peace.

I have a large kitchen counter and a French florist's bucket that would look lovely with a little Jesse tree.so I'm looking for little ornaments now too =)

Hugz

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  6:29:08 PM  Show Profile
I LOVE them, Annika! Thank you so much for the idea!! The girls can definitely do this! The younger of the two may need some help, but these are definitely do-able! YAY! I love your idea of the French florist's bucket in which to display your tree, too! Please let me know if you come up with any other ideas!

I've found a couple of different websites that offer different ideas for ornaments symbolizing each day's scripture. I think for December 1st, "Creation," I may have them decorate little styrofoam balls with paint to look like earth - or maybe just a brilliant golden glittery sun; for December 2nd, "Adam and Eve," we'll make little clothespin dolls; for December 3rd, "the Fall of Man," I have some decorative apples to which they can add glitter (to represent how dazzling sin can be!), and then make the dove you've suggested for December 4th, "Noah." I need a good one for Abraham... I have seen suggestions for a torch, a sword, a mountain, or a cluster of glittery stars, but I am leaning toward little clear bottles of sand to represent The Promise...

That's where I'm at so far... I sure could use some more suggestions! I know all of you are so creative - I'd love to hear what you're making!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  7:59:29 PM  Show Profile
http://pinterest.com/search/?q=kids+christmas+crafts

So many you'll have your brain spinning.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273

Edited by - gramadinah on Nov 22 2011 8:00:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2011 :  8:32:28 PM  Show Profile
Oh my GOSH, Diana! Where have you BEEN all my life! THANK YOU!!! I am in kid-craft Heaven!!! I don't know where to begin! I just HAVE to make those little clothespin Santa, elves, reindeer and snowmen! You ROCK, farmgirl! THANK YOU!!!! Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 26 2011 :  6:30:15 PM  Show Profile
Diana is it free to join that site? I have to come up with so many crafts for 4-h sometimes I draw a blank. That was cool.
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 27 2011 :  1:05:16 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
Hope this helps someone.
http://images.rca.org/docs/discipleship/jessepatterns.pdf

https://www.rca.org/Page.aspx?pid=1625

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259

Edited by - MrsRooster on Nov 27 2011 1:07:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  09:47:41 AM  Show Profile
Amy - thank you so much for these patterns. I'm printing them out right now - they will surely be a great source of creative inspiration! :) Hugs - Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

1168 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
1168 Posts

Posted - Nov 29 2011 :  5:46:53 PM  Show Profile  Send MrsRooster a Yahoo! Message
I am so glad. Bri is really into the bible study/devos. She is seven. It is a nice short piece and she likes the questions and so do I. LOL

Have a most blessed Advent/Christmas season!

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

www.morganicinstitute.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page
  Holidays: Previous Topic Jesse Tree Suggestions? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page