Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  08:52:16 AM  Show Profile
This is from Richard's family. I was looking for a place to put it this morning and thought it looked nice here near the fireplace. All the material looks pretty dated, sure would like to know when it was made.

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  09:37:18 AM  Show Profile
It's absolutely beautiful. Definitely a crazy quilt. I studied up on them and I am working on one now. (it will probably take me years before I finish as I am putting on a lot of embelishments) They were really populer during the late 1800 and early 1900's when women had more time on their hands and wanted to show off their embroidering and sewing skills. The one you have is lovely, especially considering it is a family heirloom. Hope you enjoy it.

hugs
Marcy

Farmgirl #170

Since you get more joy out of giving joy to others, you should put a good deal of thought into the happiness that you are able to give...Eleanor Roosevelt

http://marcysworldofcreativity.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ClaireSky
True Blue Farmgirl

1792 Posts

Julie
Arcadia WI
USA
1792 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ClaireSky an AOL message  Send ClaireSky a Yahoo! Message
What a wonderful heirloom! The quilt looks perfect by the fireplace! I love your blog too!

P.S. I loved the pic of Jack and Dave in the hammock. You must keep us updated on what those two are up to....

Julie
Farmgirl Sister #399
West-Central WI Farmgirls

"Success is not the key to happiness. Happiness is the key to success. If you love what you are doing, you will be successful." Herman Cain
Go to Top of Page

batznthebelfry
True Blue Farmgirl

1257 Posts

Michele
Athol Ma
USA
1257 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  11:20:37 AM  Show Profile
based on the colors & textures I can see I would say turn of the 20th century..I bet its done with old clothing that was worn but would work in a quilt....Michele'

Chickens rule!
The Old Batz Farm
Hen #2622
Go to Top of Page

Penny Wise
True Blue Farmgirl

1903 Posts

Margo
Elyria OH
USA
1903 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  11:36:47 AM  Show Profile
nancy; ya know...there are several of the farm girls whose blogs i enjoy and quite a few gals whose posts i love to read or miss if they are gone but i have to tell you that i am living vicariously thru you and your thrift finds and family heirlooms---i have a few things that are special to me but they are not displayed for several reasons..so i enjoy yours! i know that you were busy in your time off but i am so glad that you are back--now for the bummer- i cannot open your blog at work anymore- they have blocked a whole slew of pages which used to be able to be opened..bank security- i understand but i miss seeing yoru finds!

anyways-hugs!

Farmgirl # 2139
proud member of the Farmgirls of the Southwest Henhouse
~*~ counting my pennies and biding my time; my dreams are adding up!~*~
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  11:57:25 AM  Show Profile
Penny, you might have to quit your job, this is not good. Thank you so much for your loyal support. Its good to know someone is looking at my site that likes it. Thankyou thankyou!!

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2011 :  8:27:43 PM  Show Profile
Lovely crazy quilt,,,,, and I see you still have that plaid tin lunch basket...lock your doors! lol!

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom.
"Is it time for my Dirt Manicure yet!"

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://www.graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  02:14:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Nancy, If I can't be adopted can I please just have your crazy quilt? Pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry in the middle? :) Left you a msg on your blog about the sad and stupid thing I did to my crazy quilt...sigh. For other ladies reading this post I washed it and it fell apart after being left in a box in my garage for too long by mistake. Mine had lots of velvet and old wool probably from a man's suit and feather stitching. Dark colors mostly, nothing too bright. It was just a nice lap size and I'm guessing was probably used to keep folks warm during cold rides in the winter in a carriage, buckboard or motor car before they had heaters. After I ruined it though it revealed something pretty neat on the inside of it. In place of batting it has an old Indian blanket. I really should take it to someone who can give me some sort of time frame on both the crazy quilt and Indian blanket but I'm guessing what the other ladies say about 1800's or early 1900's is probably accurate. What a lucky lady you are and I'm just so darned happy you're back. :)
Huggz

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  04:59:20 AM  Show Profile
Cheryl,
We could probably work something out as far as the adoption, but the crazy quilt will have to stay here. Hey lets see a picture of that Indian Blanket.

Go to Top of Page

Melina
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Melina

USA
435 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile
Crazy quilts were especially popular during the Victorian period, so I'd say late 19th to early 20th century. It looks like it's made from wollens, velvet, etc. so that would be my guess. Lucky you!

The morning breeze has secrets to tell you. Do not go back to sleep.
Rumi
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  12:38:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
I'll see if I can dig it all out this weekend. Not sure how much is actually there as far as the Indian blanket goes. I was too afraid to try to pull it out and see. I still have the whole thing in case I find someone I think can repair it when I can afford it.

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://pinterest.com/ctapestry/

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic Very Old Quilt. How Old??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page