Hoosiermom
True Blue Farmgirl

199 Posts

Beth
Alexandria IN
USA
199 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:12:39 AM  Show Profile
a little less than a week ago, I bought a 4 month old border collie from an amish family. My 15 yr old Sadie died not long ago & I missed having a buddy hanging out in the yard with us. Wow! I kind of forgot the puppy stage, but she is doing well, considering, she didn't have a name (just here pup, for all of the pups), but in less than a week Tess is recognizing her name, will sit, & is doing well with my husbands hunting dogs(she wants to herd them constantly) but they get along. Now she is noticing cars, which she wasn't accustomed to & she wants to chase. I try to keep her away from the road & distract her, but any helpful ideas would be appreciated.
Borders are extremely intelligent & determined so once they set their mind to something it is hard to stop them so I want to break this habit before something bad happens. I definately don't want to introduce her to our goats either until I get her more disciplined.
She definately has great herding instincts & both parents are great workers, so she has a lot of potential.
I am looking for suggestions. Thanks!

kristin sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

11303 Posts

kristin
chickamauga ga
USA
11303 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  07:49:07 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad there is another BC person here! I have a fmeale almost a year old. I also have sheep and goats. Now those 2 animals are totally different. She had gotten into the sheep pen not long after I had gotten her. She chased those sheep all over til I saw her. I could not get her to stop til I got in front of her and caught her. She would have chased them til they all died. Well, that happened a few times. She has also gotten into the goat yard. Ha! Those goats do not run from a dog. She could not get them to budge. So they are no fun to her at all and she doesn't bother them now. And the ram will not run from her either. He just sits with her. SO I am crate training Stella. She has calmed down alot since I have had her. I am working with her as much as I know how. I still need to get her obedience trained and I am saving up the money for the best dog trainer that's near here.

They are definetley very hyper dogs and need something to do at all times. Stella always has something in her mouth too. She's so funny. And has really gotten my other lazy dog up off his bumm. Try watching some herd training videos and see how they train their dogs and the words they use. I know a phrase I use all the time is "that'll be all". She has gotten used to that so far. But it will take a lot of work to get her back in that sheep yard.

Kris

Happiness is simple.
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic My amish border collie Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page