True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2011 :  11:04:05 PM  Show Profile
Hi girls!

We always talk about the wonderful main meals, side dishes and desserts we make for our families at the holidays... but I don't recall ever seeing a post where we share our breakfast traditions!

When we're home for Thanksgiving, I'm usually so busy preparing turkey and fixin's, I don't put a whole lot of thought into breakfast. <sheepishly blushing, here> Usually, my guys talk me into allowing them a huge slice of pumpkin or apple pie for breakfast! LOL! My husband usually reasons along the lines of Bill Cosby's wisdom about having chocolate cake for breakfast ("It has eggs, milk..."), and before you know it, my son is pulling his little pouty lip thing that still melts my heart to this day, and I cave.

To help me head them off at the pass this year, will you all please share some of your family's Thanksgiving breakfast recipes and traditions? Any recipes and ideas you share will be wonderful, and greatly appreciated. If anyone can help me - I know it's you, my farmgirl sisters! :)

Thanks so much in advance! You all rock!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  12:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful topic Nini! I have a diabetic very picky hubby, so I have to modify almost every recipe for either of us to eat it. The base recipe that I'll be using is this one below with modifications. Instead of the focaccia bread, I'll be making a crust using almond flour, which is low in carbs., the cream cheese will be either reduced fat or fat free, the sour cream will be reduced fat, I'll likely have to use the cornstarch. I will be using the portobellos and garlic as the recipe calls for, I will add chives too. For a topping it will be mixed toasted pinenuts (IF Drew will eat them) and crumbled bacon with balsamic vinegar reduction syrup. But this is going to be my breakfast surprise!

Grilled Portobello and Roasted Garlic Cheesecake

1 (9-inch) disk focaccia bread
2 large portobello mushrooms
1 tomato, sliced
1 1/2 pounds cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
1 (16 ounce) container sour cream
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 cup roasted garlic cloves, see below
1 cup balsamic vinegar, optional topping
Toasted pine nuts, optional topping
Chopped basil, optional topping
Grated fresh parmesan cheese, optional topping

Roast garlic. Remove skins from 2-3 heads of garlic (enough to make 1/2 cup) and wrap cloves in tinfoil. Place in a 375 degrees F oven. Bake about 45 minutes. Remove when golden brown and smash into a paste. Set aside until ready to use.

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Brush focaccia with olive oil; season. Bake until crisp. Don’t turn off oven. Place in bottom of 9-inch springform pan. Heat grill. Slice portobellos from top to bottom. Brush with olive oil, season and grill. Place on inner rim of pan.

Beat cream cheese with salt until smooth; add eggs and blend.
In separate bowl, whisk sour cream and cornstarch. Add to cheese mixture; fold well. Season with salt and pepper. Fold in garlic. Fill pan until 1/4 inch from top. Rap to knock out bubbles. Top with sliced tomato. Bake at 350 degrees F until firm, about 25 minutes.

Presentation options: Drizzle with balsamic vinegar syrup. Garnish plate with toasted pine nuts, chopped basil and grated parmesan cheese.

For balsamic vinegar syrup
Place 1 cup balsamic vinegar in pot over high heat and cook until it reduces to the consistency of a fairly thick syrup, about 15 minutes.

Drew is a breakfast-a-holic but I'm not a big breakfast eater, so I'll just have a bitty slice. If he doesn't want to eat it, I may dump it over his head!

Hugs!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
http://thegimpyfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
http://pinterest.com/annikaloveshats/

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~Leonardo DaVinci
Go to Top of Page

smiley
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

lea
pea ridge arkansas
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  05:30:03 AM  Show Profile
Wow Annika that sounds good. I buy fat free cream cheese constantly. They dont know the difference once it is in the recipie!I will admit in the past on Thanksgiving and Christmas morning to resorting to donuts bought the day before. Not so good huh? My hubby has started frying our turkeys and that takes so much work away from me I have time for the b'fast now. I was thinking along the lines of a breakfast casserole you make the day before and just put in the oven that morning.
6 slices bread (any kind) cubed and placed in greased 13x9x2 pan.
1 lb sausage browned and drained. Spoon over bread
1 c grated sharp cheddar cheese. Sprinkle over sausage
Mix together the following:
8 eggs
2 1/4c milk
1t salt
dash of pepper
pour over mixture in baking dish. Bake at 335-350 for 40 min. The cheese will rise to the top during baking.
Leftovers are delicious heated in the microwave. Its a great way to use up the heals of the bread. I save those and freeze them for dishes like this or garlic bread.
Go to Top of Page

melody
True Blue Farmgirl

3320 Posts

Melody
The Great North Woods in the Land of Hiawatha
USA
3320 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  06:08:39 AM  Show Profile
Nini,

Every Christmas Day morning my family gather together and we have a Christmas breakfast. The menu includes: my famous biscuits and gravy... an old family recipe handed down to me as my mother was from the South, baked ham, scrambled eggs, fresh fruit, scones and my jams & jellies, hot tea, juice and our newest latest tradition Mimosa's!

After breakfast we open presents-:D]

Melody
Farmgirl #525
Go to Top of Page

Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  6:03:00 PM  Show Profile
I either make a breakfast bake ahead, or pick up some bakery made goodies to serve with coffee like donuts, cream cheese twists, danishes, coffee cake etc. Last year I even did frozen waffles! LOL thanksgiving breakfast needs to be as low maintenance as possible in my opinion.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

woolgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

901 Posts

Elizabeth
Great Lakes IL
USA
901 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2011 :  6:53:28 PM  Show Profile
Since we moved to the Chicagoland area our Thanksgiving morning now consists of going downtown to the parade and the German Christkindlmarkt. We eat brats with kraut, apple dumplings, and sugared almonds for breakfast. Now if that ain;t good eatin' I don't know what is!

Liz
Farmgirl #1947
www.militaryfarmgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/MilitaryFarmGirl
Go to Top of Page

Ninibini
True Blue Farmgirl

7577 Posts

Nini
Pennsylvania
USA
7577 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2011 :  06:18:56 AM  Show Profile
Oooooh! Annika! That sounds GOOD!!! I wanna go to your house for holiday breakfast! ;) I think I'll have to try that one! My son will definitely turn up his nose at it, but why shouldn't I spoil my husband and myself a little bit, right?! He can have pie! LOL! Thank you for the recipe!

Oh! Lea! What a great idea! I had completely forgotten about breakfast casserole!!! My Mom makes that at Easter (and, subsequently, I have begun that tradition!)! I wonder why I hadn't thought of that! DUH! What a great idea! Thank you for the recipe, too!

Melody! I love mimosas!!! SO refreshing and light! When we were younger, that was a treat that me and my girlfriends would spoil ourselves to every New Year's morning!!! It has been so long, I think I almost forgot they existed! LOL! And with that spread, I think that your breakfast IS a present on Christmas morning! WOW!!!

Jen! I think your breakfast would definitely make my son AND hubby happy! AWESOME! Hmmm... I'm really liking that idea, too... Maybe I could even get them to run out and buy the pastries while I'm cooking the day before! Around here, you mention the word "donut," and it's hilarious - my boys break out into song! LOL!!! Yep - that's a do-er! Thank you!!!

Elizabeth - that sounds like SUCH an awesome tradition! How fun! I have seen Christkindlmarkts on the travel shows at the holidays and my heart just leaps every time! To actually be able to go and be part of one must be wonderful!! And the best part - breakfast is served, and the pressure is off! It sounds like a great way to enjoy Thanksgiving morning, indeed! Thanks for the great idea! I'll have to see what's going on around here - maybe we can find something similarly fun to do! Enjoy it for me, okay? Maybe post a couple of pictures, too! :)

Thanks again to all of you - you've got my head reeling with great ideas! You ROCK farmgirls!

Hugs -

Nini

Farmgirl Sister #1974

God gave us two hands... one to help ourselves, and one to help others!

www.papercraftingwithnini.myctmh.com

Edited by - Ninibini on Nov 03 2011 06:19:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

mywunderfullife
True Blue Farmgirl

113 Posts

Amanda
Douglas WY
USA
113 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2011 :  09:37:24 AM  Show Profile
We always have biscuits and gravy for Christmas breakfast, but I hadn't really given any thought to Thanksgiving breakfast. I am definetely going to try out the breakfast casserole recipe, but probably BEFORE Thanksgiving!! My kids will really like it before school. They might even want to take leftovers for lunch!

Thanks for all the great ideas!

"don't outsmart your common sense and never let your praying knees get lazy"

Farmgirl #2424!!
Go to Top of Page

HorseLady
True Blue Farmgirl

87 Posts

Rose
Irwin PA
USA
87 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2011 :  5:36:39 PM  Show Profile
Don't have people over for Thanksgiving but a special breakfast I do for myself (!) that you can make ahead and freeze if you want or do it up that morning.

Take a tube of crescent rolls, and roll the whole thing out in the bottom of a 13x9 pan. Cook up some sausage (not links ) and sprinkle over the roll dough. (You can also use crisped bacon but I like the sausage best) I would use about 1/2 lb sausage. Then mix at least 6 eggs with some milk to make a little fluffy--pour over the sausage, then top with some cheddar cheese. Bake about 15 minutes at 375 till done. I make a pan of this and then cut into squares and freeze and take out a piece at a time for myself but for company you could just do the whole pan at once and serve.

Hug a horse or a dog today!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Thanksgiving Breakfast? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page