Dusky Beauty
True Blue Farmgirl

1108 Posts

Jen
Tonopah AZ
USA
1108 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  3:00:45 PM  Show Profile
I can't find any old post that has this info but before we've discussed planting certain things next to each other to improve health and discourage natural bugs.
Is this familiar to anyone? I *think* it was suggested to plant turnips in your squash bed but it's all fuzzy! Haha!

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated." ~Gandhi
http://silvermoonfarm.blogspot.com/
"After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him. The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.” ~Will Rogers

natesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1735 Posts

angela
martinsville indiana
USA
1735 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2011 :  9:40:44 PM  Show Profile
You could search for 'companion planting'. Thats what most call it.

I would suggest getting the book called 'Carrots Love Tomatoes" by Louise Riotte. It's amazing and super full of info! I had to buy it after checking it out of the library about 20 times! LOL!

Farmgirl Sister #1438

God - Gardening - Family - Is anything else important?
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile
I recommend that book, too! It is awesome and amazing!

Also, this summer I started a community garden, and all of us learned from each other and just by observing (which is always the really fun and cool part of gardening!).

We learned that marigolds keep pretty much anything and everything out of a garden, til whatever you grow on purpose gets weakened in some way (drought, disease, age of plant - ie it's still growing well after items were harvested). Also, zinnias are EXCELLENT companions for the cabbage family, and geraniums help keep japanese beetles out of your potatoes.

Not only will your vegies be safer from creepy crawlies, but your beds will be beautiful, too!

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog:http://suburbanprairiehomemaker.blogspot.com/

Avoid soil depravation and get your dirt on! Start a garden in your own backyard...

Go to Top of Page

StrawHouseRanch
True Blue Farmgirl

1044 Posts

Paula
Holt Missouri
USA
1044 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2011 :  4:44:48 PM  Show Profile
I would also recommend Sara Stein's Book called "Noah's Garden - Restoring the Ecology of our Own Back Yards". It focuses more on the true symbiotic relationship plants and bugs have in the ecosystem and how we can re-establish it in our own yards to help improve pollination and fight over population of bugs and weeds.

Paula

Farmgirl Sister #3090
Yesterday is History, Tomorrow is a Mystery, and Today is a Gift.
Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Nov 14 2011 :  09:13:54 AM  Show Profile
Just got a newsletter today from a blog, and sure enough, the writer is having "bug issues" with her brassicas. The good news is that she chose bT to deal with it, but the sad news is that she didn't know about zinnias. Not only are they pretty, but they interplant so well with brassicas to keep out those hungry beasties. They also attract bees and butterflies for pollination "friendly" wasps who eat the beasties. This summer at our community garden, the bed of cabbage next to another bed that had zinnias was spared most of the damage that the other beds sustained. Some of our cabbages were literally eaten to the ground. Next year - no way! Zinnias to the rescue!

Happy Monday, y'all!
Ann

Wife of terrific hubby and mom to 2 kiddos, 2 bunnies, 2 geriatric goldfish, and the best dog in the world!

Check out my blog:http://suburbanprairiehomemaker.blogspot.com/

Avoid soil depravation and get your dirt on! Start a garden in your own backyard...

Go to Top of Page

Stacy~Creativemuse
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

Stacy
Camarillo Ca
USA
25 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2011 :  12:34:37 PM  Show Profile
I am loving Permaculture and learning more each day. I love Toby Hemenways Gaia's Garden a homescale guide to Permaculture. Permaculture speaks of Guilds and Food Forrests. I have Apple trees with chives and euphorbia as gopher repeller. the flowers will bring the bees, nasturium will give nutients and are edible too. I have also covered with strawberries as a ground cover. by thier sides I have Native plants. This is in a narrow driveway section of my yard. The apple will be espalliered. Tomatoes,and strawberries love Borage. The Native American 3 sisters are a prime example the corn grows,the beans give nitrogen and sugars to the corn and use it as a trellis, they would plant squash for more nutrition and shading the roots during hot times , have a 4th, 5th sister with bee balm(rocky mountain) and a Grain Amaranth. grain for you and green manure and bee balm to use those great bees! In a simpler form it's companion planting. Permaculture is set up for your yard to work for you. Love that idea! Good luck!

Warmly,
Stacy~Creativemuse

Somewhere over the Rainbow is Right Here Right Now!
www.Creativemusewhereinspirationsflourish.blogspot.com
www.Creativemuse.Etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Symbiotic Planting? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page